Author Topic: any one feeding Healthy Paws Kibble?  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: any one feeding Healthy Paws Kibble?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
Hi Helen

was it the high energy lamb recipe?

that was one of the ones we tried - tried about 3 before giving up and moving onto Arden Grange  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »
I tried the high energy lamb Burns on a recommendation a good while back, about when I first got Rodaidh and both he and Alfie lost a heap of weight very quickly and their coats were awful so I took them off it again pronto and haven't used Burns since; apart from anything else I think it's very bland food and they didn't like eating it, even Tilly who is a gannet wasn't keen.  

My lot are currently on Barking Heads lamb variety (all natural, high quality ingredients, no cheap fillers like beet, British made, no additives, no chemicals etc.), it's a good food and they like it but I've managed to get a local stockist for Healthy Paws who gave me some more samples of it last week which they all wolfed down, even picky Rodaidh. It was about the most enthusiastic I've ever seen Ro with a dry food so they'll be going onto it once they've used up the Barking Heads; I also like the idea of rabbit being the protein source in the food (just personal preference!).

Interestingly I spoke to Robbie Burns at the SKC show a few weeks ago as he had a stand there with his foods and he does not share his brother's view that allergies to beet pulp are rare :005:  This really depends on who you speak to and what sources you read, it's a bit of a minefield really but personally I think it could be behind some skin and ear problems in my lot which is why I'm no longer going to use foods which contain it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline jessnjimmy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:53:25 PM »
The reason I asked if it was the high energy lamb was that in the email reply I had from John Burns he said he'd be more than willing to offer a free trial to anyone interested in this food  :D

How is the healthy paws going down?
Linda, Jess and Jimmy xxxxxxxxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 08:54:10 PM »
The reason I asked if it was the high energy lamb was that in the email reply I had from John Burns he said he'd be more than willing to offer a free trial to anyone interested in this food  :D

How is the healthy paws going down?

still on AG at the moment, nearly finished the bag and will let you know  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 08:55:45 PM »
I'll also update once my lot are on the Healthy Paws, they've got about 8kg of Barking Heads still to get through first! As I said though the samples went down extremely well, Rodaidh is a really picky and slow eater and I was shocked by how quickly he hoovered it up so that's got to be a good sign :shades:

Offline jessnjimmy

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »
must have posted at the same time lol

Nicola, interestingly I tried the high energy lamb Burns when it first came out and mine developed anal gland problems on it.  Changed back to the normal Burns lamb and rice and all ok again, so beet pulp deffo no good for my two  >:(

Glad you've found something they all enjoy.  Might try this healthy paws myself  :D (the dogs not me)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 10:45:53 PM »
I'm not happy with the Luaths (Burns brother) that I moved to from Orijen (which I really like but I want to be able to get food locally).  I've a bag of Healthy paws for puppy to try first, then I'll try the older dogs on it when I'm further down the Luaths bag I'm using now.

The shop really were struggling to decide which was better, Barking Heads or Healthy Paws,  I think they thought Barking Heads is more paletable as it also contains "wet" meat  :-\  Looking forward to seeing what results come out like

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 07:55:29 AM »
I found the worst thing with Burns was that they ate their poo afterwards  ph34r

Offline jessnjimmy

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »
I'll also update once my lot are on the Healthy Paws, they've got about 8kg of Barking Heads still to get through first! As I said though the samples went down extremely well, Rodaidh is a really picky and slow eater and I was shocked by how quickly he hoovered it up so that's got to be a good sign :shades:

Nic, what's their poo like on the Barking Heads food?  Looks like a great food from their website.  Might try mine on the lamb and rice, it seems to have more meat than the healthy paws.  Jess, my golden cocker gets colitis so have to be careful. 

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 06:02:52 PM »

Nic, what's their poo like on the Barking Heads food?  Looks like a great food from their website.  Might try mine on the lamb and rice, it seems to have more meat than the healthy paws.  Jess, my golden cocker gets colitis so have to be careful. 

It's fine, no sloppy poo or anything although none of them are really prone to that anyway and their diet is half barf so that also affects it obviously. Overall they seem to be doing well on it but it's only been a couple of weeks.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 07:20:36 PM »
I'm not happy with the Luaths (Burns brother) that I moved to from Orijen (which I really like but I want to be able to get food locally).  I've a bag of Healthy paws for puppy to try first, then I'll try the older dogs on it when I'm further down the Luaths bag I'm using now.

The shop really were struggling to decide which was better, Barking Heads or Healthy Paws,  I think they thought Barking Heads is more paletable as it also contains "wet" meat  :-\  Looking forward to seeing what results come out like

Berriewoods now stock orijen  ;)

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 07:46:11 PM »
Thanks for that Jo, still web based though and as I work, delivery is a pain, hence wanting a shop.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 07:47:10 PM »
Jaspers mum why did you not like Luaths? Just curious really.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 07:50:13 PM »
Thanks for that Jo, still web based though and as I work, delivery is a pain, hence wanting a shop.

I just ask them to leave stuff outside the front door!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline BarbaraW

• Mum of Dennis, black 'n tan show cocker who dances
    • http://www.myspace.com/dennis_barbara
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »
Just placed an online order for 4 x 2g bags of Healthy Paws for Dennis.  Thought the AG was our saviour but Dennis was still getting ichy patches so hopefully the elimiation of the beet will stop help. Anyone else noticed any results yet from feeding Healthy Paws.