Author Topic: Yay, we have our puppy!  (Read 1677 times)

Offline rhubarb

• Our new puppy!
Yay, we have our puppy!
« on: October 18, 2009, 08:15:04 PM »
Well, Elspeth came home yesterday! I must say that I'm rather envious of those of you who had an easy journey with their pups  :005: She cried and was sick in the car so it wasn't the most fun 3 hours!

Still, she's completely gorgeous (though our cavalier is a bit put out) and we love her to bits.

Good luck to those of you who have recently got or are getting their puppies soon - I think we're all in for a lot of hard work  :lol2:

Offline tots

Re: Yay, we have our puppy!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 08:18:34 PM »
congratulations, puppy is gawjuss :luv:

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »
Yay! Photos, photos and more photos please?!!!

13 days to go before we get Blodwen's baby bro!

Here's to hard work, laughter, tears and and hearts bursting with love and pride  :luv:

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline rhubarb

• Our new puppy!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:49:06 PM »
I'm planning to put some photos on when my poor revision addled brain can find the time (3 hour exam Tuesday morning -eek!).

She is so beautiful and is very sweet. I'm amazed by how confident she is already - she's into everything and making herself at home!

The only downside is that our cavalier is a bit miffed and won't play with her. She seems really keen on him and follows him around, but he isn't very happy at all. Still, he is very dog friendly so hopefully he'll cheer up soon. I feel a bit guilty as he seems quite sad.

Wow, 13 days? Not long at all - then a chaotic house with dogs running around like crazy!  :lol2: It is fun, though, but I am a bit tired...

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 09:02:09 PM »
Oh gosh, you've got a lot going on...make sure you get as much rest as you can and best of luck for your exam.

I'm terrible when I am tired, so grumpy and emotional.

I hope your cavalier comes around soon - I am sure they will bond in time, and he will forget what it was like without her around.  :luv:

Offline rhubarb

• Our new puppy!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:15:21 PM »
Thanks, I need all the luck I can get  :D I don't think I'm much fun at the moment either!

I was going to collect her after my exam, but then we couldn't wait any longer  :005: OH and the kids are being v good at helping out, but I'd much rather be playing with Elspeth than stuck revising  - am feeling rather sorry for myself!

I'm hoping that Wilbur will accept her soon, at least he isn't going mad barking like he does when squirrels, cats or birds get anywhere near him  :lol2: He's a bit silly at times.

Do you think your lovely Blodwen will take to the new arrival? Has he got a name yet?

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »
Ooo yes at least he's not barking at her. I know what you mean, I am so impatient too, I would probably have picked her up before an exam too  :D

Hopefully Blodwen will take to him quickly - she is used to being the baby among her friends at the park, so we are keen to find younger pups for her to be around to become accustomed to behaving gently around them!

Name is still to be confirmed! - deciding between Mabon and Llewelyn!  :005:

Offline rhubarb

• Our new puppy!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »
Ooh, those are both lovely names. We took ages to decide and got stuck between two as well.

Wilbur is used to being the youngest as well, though he has been playing with my friend's new puppy (his uncle!) and was very good with him. Mind you, that was at their house so maybe it's the whole sharing his house, toys and family that's annoying him? I think he'll be okay, but he is a bit spoilt so it may take a while...

Regardless of the slightly odd timing, we have been told that we are a bit insane to have 2 dogs - still, I'm in good company here, aren't I?  :lol2:

Offline dogsgalore

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »
Hi

Congratulations!!  We collected our pup just two weeks ago - my third dog!!  Everyone thinks I am really insane, but I knew that my 20 month old labrador (who has had a hard start to life) would love a friend to play with, as my other dog, Jock the Westie, is almost 13 and whilst he is very fit, isn't into playing or doing daft puppy things!  Two weeks on, and my eyes are somewhere down on my cheeks, my alcohol consumption has definitely increased and had to buy a new mop!!  But Skye has fit in perfectly and is an absolute treasure.  Millie the Lab loves her and cuddles and plays non-stop, so the plan worked - except Jock isn't too impressed, but he will come round.

Look forward to pics and regular updates on our new babies! :D :D

Kath, Skye plus Jock and Millie

[img]

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 09:58:07 PM »
I'm planning to put some photos on when my poor revision addled brain can find the time (3 hour exam Tuesday morning -eek!).

She is so beautiful and is very sweet. I'm amazed by how confident she is already - she's into everything and making herself at home!

The only downside is that our cavalier is a bit miffed and won't play with her. She seems really keen on him and follows him around, but he isn't very happy at all. Still, he is very dog friendly so hopefully he'll cheer up soon. I feel a bit guilty as he seems quite sad.

Wow, 13 days? Not long at all - then a chaotic house with dogs running around like crazy!  :lol2: It is fun, though, but I am a bit tired...

Don't panic we have a Cavalier who was most put out when we bought Annie home. It took about two weeks but now they are best of friends. We made sure Cavvy Maisie was fed first and cuddled first greeted etc..all worked out in the end
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline rhubarb

• Our new puppy!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 10:17:23 PM »
It's nice to know that other people have more than one dog. It's pretty surprising how many people say that they'd hate to have one let alone two (or more!) and look at me like I'm crazy when I mention Wilbur's birthday pressies, etc  :lol2:

I think he will come round eventually. Unfortunately, when he does approach she nips him and he becomes grumpy again. She is very sweet and immediately rolls on to her back, but by then he has walked away in disgust. It's a bit like having a toddler and a baby, I suppose. We are also making sure that he is fussed loads, etc and at least he doesn't seem to hate her - just seems disappointed that we've done this to him...

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »
Don't worry..Cavvy Maisie was (is) my princess I was mortified she didn't take to Annie ..really snapped at her a lot. I followed advice and made Cavvy Maisie feel she was important by making her number one and it kind of worked, after two weeks (I promise thats all it was) Cav Maisie felt secure and allowed Annie to stay  :005:
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline rhubarb

• Our new puppy!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »
Well, the exam is finally over  :D so I can concentrate upon Elspeth (will hopefully be adding pics later), thank goodness.

Wilbur seems to be coming around a little bit, though Elspeth tends to nip his ears and the droopy bit of his mouth, which obviously annoys him and I imagine that its rather painful.

The next hurdle is going to be leaving her when we have to go out. At the moment she seems very clingy and whimpers whenever she can't see us (she seems loads more nervous than Wilbur was when we got him - though he was 10 weeks older when we picked him up) so I think she'll be really, really upset when I have to leave her. I know she'll have to get used it eventually, but she sounds so pitiful. Oh, the guilt involved in puppy raising...

Offline karenann

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »
Congratulations on lovely Elspeth :luv: Only had Cleo three weeks and its all a learning curve even if you have had one many years ago :005: Good luck for your exam results :luv:

Offline 115sharon

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 09:39:10 PM »
We already had a 14 month male cocker Skip and got Lily 6 days ago - they are getting on really well and love rampaging round the garden.  Lily is fearless and likes to attack his ears and tail.  My mums cavalier is not so impressed and spent all her time on the sofa when we intoduced her.