Author Topic: i am brave- im getting another puppy!!!! Advice please :)  (Read 5278 times)

Offline poppy1407

i am brave- im getting another puppy!!!! Advice please :)
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:33:58 PM »
We already have our gorgeous little Poppy she is 13 and half weeks old and we have taken the plunge and we are getting another little girl- so they can grow up together like sisters- I cant wait to see Poppy's reaction- does anyone have any advice on introducing Poppy to the other Puppy?
We pick the other puppy up on Sunday 25th our new baby will be nearly 12 weeks when we get her. We are going to name her Sasha...
am I mad getting two young puppies together? Poppy is fully house trained now so hopefully Sasha will copy Poppy when it comes to toilet training. Poppy also sleeps in her crate at night, so little Sasha shouldn't be too distressed the first night as she will have Poppy's company.

I will defo post some pics tho :)
I'm all excited to have 2 cocker babies :)

Offline superscot

• Donator
Re: i am brave- im getting another puppy!!!! Advice please :)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:38:10 PM »
good luck

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:21:14 PM »
Wow, some would argue brave or mad though  ;)

I find it hard enough training the puppy when the next in age is nearly 2 and should know better  ::)  Be prepared for a few steps backwards, especially when they reach the teenage phases.  Even now at 5 months Charlie seems to have forgotten that wees are for outside (he was great) but it's getting colder outside and doesn't want to get his feet wet does he  >:(  Everyone I've ever spoken to with 2 from same litter or this close in age has had to put the work in to train seperately and have 1:1 time so that they don't just rely on each other etc etc..

Good luck and Lots of pics when you get your new baby please....

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »
 :shades: You are certainly braver than me  ;)

Best of luck with them  :luv:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 11:51:45 PM »
Have a read of this FAQ thread...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2017.0

It's not generally recommended to get two puppies at the same time, people do do it and it can work out ok but to give both pups the best chance of success an awful lot of work and time is needed in walking and training them individually. Two dogs of very similar ages can also have issues when they hit maturity and same-sex pairs are the combination where this is most likely to occur. Personally I don't get why people would want two puppies at the same time, they are hard work and I prefer to concentrate on one pup at a time, give them all my attention so we can get a really good bond built up and I can get them trained to a level I'm happy with before I consider adding another one but each to their own!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline laurianna

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 12:08:05 AM »
mmmm good luck! :D  I am struggling with one puppy and a 5 year old! I cant imagine having another one so young now! To me thats  like finding out your pregnant at your six week check up!  :o

Would love to see pics of your baby when you get her though!  :D

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »
mmmm good luck! :D  I am struggling with one puppy and a 5 year old! I cant imagine having another one so young now! To me thats  like finding out your pregnant at your six week check up!  :o

:005: Love that comment about pregnancy.
Each to their own and I wish you luck but you'll have your work cut out. Some breeders won't sell two pups to the same buyer. You'll need time to train them seperately. Good luck with them.
Milly

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:46:23 AM »
Have you owned a dog before Poppy? Just asking cos as 13 weeks things can still be quite rosy so have you been through the terrible teens before-if so you'll have an idea what to expect but twice as much with two possible  :-\
That saying all situations are different and I know people who have taken two pups with no problems.
For me the puppy stage is such a short special stage that I like to spread my pups out so Iget to enjoy the puppy stage again at a later date  :D

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:46:42 AM »
Good luck, Im sure your gunna have lots of....fun  :005: :005: looking forward to some piccies  ;)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 09:03:40 AM »
Yes you are very brave  ;)  Get ready for a whirlwind of mayhem!  ;)

The advice i would give you is to take them out seperately to puppy training classes, little walks etc, etc

Good Luck and i hope it all works out.  :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »

:005: Love that comment about pregnancy.
Each to their own and I wish you luck but you'll have your work cut out. Some breeders won't sell two pups to the same buyer. You'll need time to train them seperately. Good luck with them.

agree with these comments and with Nicola's post.   Quite honestly I think you'll have your work cut out for you when your 2 bitches reach maturity and I don't think it's a wise decision. 

Seems like the deed is already done, so best of luck!
helen & jarvis x

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 09:25:29 AM »
My goodness fully housetrained so young  :o  I personally would not get 2 pups together but I wish you the very best of luck

Don't forget some baby piccys  :luv:

Offline karenann

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »
Good luck I think you are very brave.An oldie like me can only cope with one :005: but nice to have two grow up together. Used to see lots of sets of two westies together when I still had Missy. :luv:

Offline tots

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 10:06:31 AM »
good luck, jets 21 wk and ive too older dogs and me myself spend all my time teaching jet, i wouldnt get another pup for a couple of yrs,
i have seen it work ok but also seen it go awfully wrong with two different personalities in pups, as already said ,you will need to teach them individually
good luck though and look forward to pics

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 10:11:24 AM »
Good luck I tihnk you are completely insane  :005:
I would try very hard to get them used to doing things seperately e.g. walks, training, going in the car, meeting other dogs, etc. As they are so young you don't want them to completely rely on each other as there may be points in their lives where they can't be together and if they are not used to it they won't cope well.