Author Topic: Chicken Wings .. I Failed!  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Chicken Wings .. I Failed!
« on: October 12, 2004, 01:57:58 PM »
I failed in my attempt to buy chicken wings for Daisy ... I feel like such a bad Mum!!   :(

I'm a veggie but having read all the threads about how much all your puppies love chicken wings I thought I'd pop to Tesco's and pick some up for Daisy.  Nothing hard about that I hear you cry, ohhhhhhhhh it was horrible!!  I stood in the poultry aisle staring down at these little wings (gross!) and imagining them being dragged, mashed and dribbled all over my kitchen .... so I went to the doggie aisle and bought some gravy bones instead!!    :blink:

I feel like I'm being mean to Daisy but I couldn't even have picked one out of the packet to give to her no matter split them up and put them in the freezer - yuck!!

Its a pity carrots don't have such tasty wings!!     :D  
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 02:02:47 PM »
Toni,

Don't feel to bad :) What Daisy has never had she can't miss :D  :D Maybe you could get somebody to buy them for you?  :D

Michelle

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 02:07:23 PM »
I failed in my attempt to buy chicken wings for Daisy ... I feel like such a bad Mum!!   :(

I'm a veggie but having read all the threads about how much all your puppies love chicken wings I thought I'd pop to Tesco's and pick some up for Daisy.  Nothing hard about that I hear you cry, ohhhhhhhhh it was horrible!!  I stood in the poultry aisle staring down at these little wings (gross!) and imagining them being dragged, mashed and dribbled all over my kitchen .... so I went to the doggie aisle and bought some gravy bones instead!!    :blink:

I feel like I'm being mean to Daisy but I couldn't even have picked one out of the packet to give to her no matter split them up and put them in the freezer - yuck!!

Its a pity carrots don't have such tasty wings!!     :D
Dragged, mashed and dribbled all over your kitchen? If Daisy is anything like my girls they'll be gone within seconds, they love them!  Within minutes there is no sign of them ever being in the kitchen.........lol.

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 02:10:52 PM »
Awwwwww dont feel bad Toni I'm the same, I cant seem to be able to get up enough courage to give them to my two either :unsure: . not because I'm a vegetairian but because I am a terrible worrier and have an awful fear of them choking!! :blink:  I know it probably would never happen but thats me and as much as I'd love to see them chewing away I just bring myself to buy them  :rolleyes:
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 02:41:09 PM »
I ummed and arrghed for ages over the whole chicken wing saga! A few weeks ago I finally gave in and boy do they love them! ;)

Evie wolfed hers down in seconds, crunching the whole time :o  Molly licked it and carried around for a while, then it was gone!

If you can't face it, don't worry about it!

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 02:49:04 PM »
Awwwwww dont feel bad Toni I'm the same, I cant seem to be able to get up enough courage to give them to my two either :unsure: . not because I'm a vegetairian but because I am a terrible worrier and have an awful fear of them choking!! :blink:  I know it probably would never happen but thats me and as much as I'd love to see them chewing away I just bring myself to buy them  :rolleyes:
Maria i'm the same, Indie definately won't be enjoying chicken wings :rolleyes:  

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 04:18:15 PM »
I never give my cockers poultry bones - i just don't trust them to be safe and i wouldn't want the girls to choke on one. I was brought up never to give them to the girls!

However - pigs ears - well that is different - they love them and demolish them in 10 mins max!! after alot of chewing and eye rolling!!!! mmmmmmm

Could you stand chucking a pigs ear into the garden for her - she will love you forever!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 04:22:20 PM »

Oh thank goodness..I thought I was the only wimp.....I can't imagine giving them to my two either. I'd just be panicking about the bones getting stuck in their throats or in their intestines. I'm glad to know that I am not alone.

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 04:39:19 PM »
Thanks everybody - now I don't feel like such a failure!!

I did see the pigs ears at the Pet Store (Thanks CBabe) but I know it would end up hidden in my bean bag or tucked under my favourite cushion as a surprise from daisy - all sucked and squishy .. oh gosh, the thought!!     :lol:  
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 04:52:35 PM »
I haven't  tried Lottie on pigs ears yet...but Goldie LOVES them and they don't hang around long enough to get squishy :D

I may get some and give Lottie a try.

I think I have just forgotten at what age I gave these kind of treats to Goldie and am still thinking that Lottie is too young, but I think she has all her adult teeth now...so I guess it's time :)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 09:32:46 PM »
bluesmum     Posted on Oct 12 2004, 02:10 PM

not because I'm a vegetairian but because I am a terrible worrier and have an awful fear of them choking!!  I know it probably would never happen

And thats exactly what hapened to alfie today :(

Id given him his wing at lunch time as I would normally (12:30) and left for work at 2:30. Hubby got in at 5 to find Alfie being sick and choking in his crate - he had to put his fingers down his throat to pull out the bone :( Luckily Alfie is fine, sore throat but no cuts. I feel dreadfull. I keep thinking what could have happened :( Its never happened before and Im putting it down to the fact hes teething and do mabe hes not chewing properly. Whatever I wont be giving him them for a while
Caroline and Alfie

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 09:43:01 PM »
Hi,
Dogs can be brought up on a vegetarian diet, you just need to ensure you chose their meals carefully, but this has been achieved successfully in the past.
Many dogs have never had chicken wings and have lived long and apparently healthy lives, its not the end of the world!  ;)  
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 10:10:58 PM »
bluesmum     Posted on Oct 12 2004, 02:10 PM

not because I'm a vegetairian but because I am a terrible worrier and have an awful fear of them choking!!  I know it probably would never happen

And thats exactly what hapened to alfie today :(

Id given him his wing at lunch time as I would normally (12:30) and left for work at 2:30. Hubby got in at 5 to find Alfie being sick and choking in his crate - he had to put his fingers down his throat to pull out the bone :( Luckily Alfie is fine, sore throat but no cuts. I feel dreadfull. I keep thinking what could have happened :( Its never happened before and Im putting it down to the fact hes teething and do mabe hes not chewing properly. Whatever I wont be giving him them for a while
Caroline,

How scary, I forgot to mention whilst Abby was teething I did give the Chicken Wings a good bash with the rolling pin and I never left her alone with them.

Michelle

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 08:56:57 AM »
There is little chance of pigs ears being left around to get squishy - they don't last that long!!!! And you get lots of peace and quiet while they are munching away in the corner!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 03:03:19 PM »
I'm assuming the chicken wings are raw as cooked bones splinter... I don't really want to be thick, but sometimes I think the bleach has seeped into my skull!   :)  
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)