Author Topic: 21 Weeks!!!!!  (Read 778 times)

Offline HarveynMax

21 Weeks!!!!!
« on: November 04, 2009, 02:31:10 PM »
Oh my goodness, where has the time flown? My little Max is 21 weeks, now I haven't posted for a while but can all you lovely experts put me right or wrong?

I usually walk Max and Harvey together on a double ended lead, they walk as good as gold, side by side. Then when we get to the fields or woods, wherever we end up i let them off and they go running off then stop and come racing back.  Now as far as I am concerned they are as good as perfect, they come back for me, nearly all the time, they walk fine, but they are always together now is this a mistake, should i have done things separately with them?  Harvey is 15/16mths so not too mature. 

Everything works well for us in our family and household so i have gone on the assumption this is good, but then i bumped into this lady in the woods who was like, no you MUST do separate things with them.... do i? if they are happy and I am.....

Also Max is still doing a wee overnight? Any tips to help stop this!!!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
Re: 21 Weeks!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:44:03 PM »
Do you have any pics ?

I have 5 dogs and I didn't do anything separate I know some do. Mine have really learnt from each other thankfully they are all fairly well behaved  :blink:
My cockers were also still doing a wee at night its still fairly young to not expect an accident over night.

Offline loudgg

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »
Every dog and owner is different and I guess it depends on what you want. I wouldn't feel forced into it if you don't think it is required .
I have been walking my two together since we introduced Bailey to the family as I was struggling to get them to get along and hoped shared fun would help :D. They are both fairly good on and off lead now. Bailey has the occasional mad dive across in font of me while on lead to try and get to Toby but this is getting less and less. Bailey does occasionally get walked separately when Toby is off to shoots with my OH and this gives me a chance to get some one on one training time but I want them to be able to be walked together as the whole point in having a second dog was to give Toby a play buddy.
Gil, Toby Jug & Bailey Boo x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:49:28 PM »
You could try crating Max temporarily to solve the toilet problem - if he's had the odd dry night and you know he can go all night that is.

With regard to training/walking them separately, if you aren't having any problems and you're all happy then carry on... However, Max is still very young and may start to be more adventurous when he's older and if this is the case you'd be wise to put some one to one recall training in with him now so he knows to come back when he's on his own - rather than just relying on him copying your older dog.

IMO, it is wise to walk and train your dogs separately at least occasionally - if anything should happen to either of them it would be less of a shock if they can function well on their own and as they both mature they may develop new habits together which aren't so desirable. It also depends how much you want from your dogs... I find it VERY difficult train new things to my two together - direction commands for example or the stop command, as they're too focused on each other or competing with each other. Retrieving games and search and find games never really work with both of them at the same time either as they just want to fight over the dummy or run away from each other with it ::) :lol: I also enjoy the extra bond we get training one-to-one and I think they benefit from the additional mental stimulation of being trained on their own also ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 02:57:19 PM »
The only reason I wish I had began seperate training, walking etc when Maddi came home is that now I can not leave her in the house by herself.  Only needed really for vet visits, she screams the house down if I go and take Murphy.  It's something I have just started working on.
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:59:53 PM »
Can't comment on the training, but we definitely need to see new photos of the little man!  :lol2: :luv:

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline HarveynMax

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:57:37 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, and I will try and upload some recent photos.  Not very technically minded :005: :005: ::)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 10:25:06 PM »
Louis is 21 weeks and manages to go through the night without having a pee more often than not. He can usually manage about 7 and a half to 8 hours. I still put a puppy pad on the back doormat, just in case, and I think it may be a few more weeks before he's completely clean every night.

I usually walk him and William together, but a couple of times a week I walk Louis on his own and he also goes to puppy obedience class once a week and ringcraft once a week. I find that spending some time on my own with Louis helps me to train him and builds up our bond as well.

The thing I've failed to do is to leave Louis home alone without William for company because I know he gets anxious and howls and starts getting destructive. I know I should be doing it, but I keep chickening out, which is stupid of me because I know I'm building up trouble for the future when there are bound to be times when Louis will be completely on his own.