Author Topic: 1 dog 1 pup .... sleeping .... any advice ?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
1 dog 1 pup .... sleeping .... any advice ?
« on: November 07, 2009, 08:57:38 PM »
Mabel is 2 and has the run of the kitchen overnight now, she was crated as a pup, we are not getting a new pup (esme) and wonder if its best to just let them cuddle up (if they get on  :005:) or should we crate the little one

I've also got a massive cardboard box from work that is about twice as big as the crate in floorspace (thinking of using it as a playpen to give mabel some space now and again, but open to using it overnight)

what have you done in the past, or what would you recommend ?

Cheers
Phil

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Re: 1 dog 1 pup .... sleeping .... any advice ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 09:06:39 PM »
We crated Lenny until he was around 7 months old, it was just too tempting for them to start playing in the middle of the night  :005: plus I never quite trusted them alone until then either. If they were left for a short period in the daytime we used a puppy pen with open crate inside.  ;) Bet you cant wait now can you  :luv:

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
Yep we crated Mole downstairs and Baja slept upstairs, it did get to a point of Mole wanting to come upstairs....so we moved his crate upstairs!

Saying that Baja slept downstairs with Mole the first night (his own choice) then once he realised he was here to stay he  had enough of that and was soon back upstairs  :005:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 09:56:06 PM »
We crated Lenny until he was around 7 months old, it was just too tempting for them to start playing in the middle of the night  :005: plus I never quite trusted them alone until then either. If they were left for a short period in the daytime we used a puppy pen with open crate inside.  ;) Bet you cant wait now can you  :luv:

Same here.  Charlie still crated when we're in bed and when I'm at work.  He'd plague the others to play otherwise  >:D  This time we got a good deal on a puppy pen instead of a crate though as Charlie squealed like a maniac in the crate.  Alternatively you could use a baby playpen as a play area too.  Let me know if you want one as it's sat under the back of the trailer gathering dust.  OH not far from you most days.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 10:02:50 PM »
Misha was 6 months old when I got Roly.  For the first few nights Roly slept in a cardboard box beside my bed and then went to sleep in a crate downstairs while Misha slept upstairs.  Thought it was important that he got used spending a little time on his own. During the day found that Roly would climb into bed with Misha whether she liked it or not.  The first time he climbed into Misha's basket with her (about the 2nd day here), she growled the whole time at him, but he took absolutely no notice and just went off to sleep.  Think if they're supervised when together just to make sure that any play doesn't get out of hand and that Mabel get some peace and quiet should be fine.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline tots

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »
my two eldest girls sleep anywhere but jets been in a crate for bed since getting her as its only place she will relax :D
good luck with new puppy :luv:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:38:02 PM »
I would see how they both get on and then make a decision from this.  There really isn't a right or wrong thing to do because each situation is different.  If they fall in love at first sight (well so to speak) and you feel happy leaving her 'free' with Mabel, then i would just let her sleep alongside Mabel but provide a seperate bed.  If Mabel doesn't initially seem too taken with Esme then i would seperate them for sleeping.  You will probably find that Esme will immediately love Mabel though,  :luv: as she will be looking for warmth/comfort/companionship/play after the upset of leaving her litter mate's and mum.

Personally, i have never used crate's, and never had any prob's.  ;)  apart from Alfie chewing the skirting boards.  ::)

Good Luck with settling Esme in her new home.  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 07:43:07 AM »
thanks everyone :)

I'll get the crate down from the loft and see how they get on, if its all going well, or Mabel is winging as she wants to be with Esme, then I'll let em loose, all depends on how they get on, if we go down the no crate route, the seperate bed is a good idea, so they can get some space if they want it

thanks again
Phil

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »
Noy a pup as such but Kooki and Fred sleep loose together in the kitchen overnight in their own beds and after their first walk of the day when I go to work, they then get split p at lunchtime and Kooki goes in the crate for the afternoon and Fred is loose downstairs so they both get some time out away from each other, in the evenings either one of them goes to the crate when they have had enough of playing and I let them decide who wants the time out.  Cant wait to see pics of your new pup and Mabel xx
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce