Author Topic: 12 week old puppy will not walk on lead  (Read 771 times)

Offline Cardno

12 week old puppy will not walk on lead
« on: November 16, 2009, 11:02:47 PM »
Hi this is my first posting.  I have had Millie (a 12 week show cocker) for 4 weeks now and she has been going out for 2 weeks.  She walked pretty well on the lead to begin with, but now will not walk unless there is two of us out with her.  She just sits down and no amount of treats or squeaky toys will make her walk, if there is two of us she walks ok with a little coaxing.  What can I do to overcome this little problem.  We have been to puppy socialization classes for the last two weeks and she toddles about there ok.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: 12 week old puppy will not walk on lead
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 12:11:59 AM »
Hi and welcome to Col, I had a similar problem with Belle who is now 8 mths, I was so excited that she could get out and about but she just didn't want to walk on her lead, she was great on it in the garden and she was fine offlead in the park. I asked for advice on here and had lots of great replies, what worked for us was the thought that Belle was picking up on our anxieties as we were waiting for her reluctance. So one day I changed her collar to a harness and literally strode confidently and quickly being firm but gentle and walked, to my amazement she walked too :005: We have never looked back. I think it worked on 2 counts, I stopped coaxing etc and just walked and changing her collar to a harness stopped me worrying about hurting her neck if I pulled her a little. She is now great on and offlead even my 8 yr old can walk her confidently (with adult supervision of course ;))
I am sure others will be along with other advice soon as I think its a fairly common problem ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline suemg

• Milo and Boo
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:36:30 AM »
Milo was terrible at first walking, he would just sit down frequently - usually when a car or something was passing. He is absolutely fine now (at 19 weeks) and loves going out for his walk. It's all new and scarey for your pup so I would just suggest trying to keep it fun, maybe giving treats or as someone on here suggested to me taking a squeaky toy to tempt them along. I know it's really frustrating when  you've waited to get your pup out and they don't enjoy it as you'd hoped but in a few weeks it will be different and you'll both have enjoyable trips out.
Sue.....lucky owner of Milo and Boo

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:12:09 AM »
You could also try dropping the lead and walking away from him (in a safe area). I can almost guarantee he will follow you!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 11:18:01 AM »
You could also try dropping the lead and walking away from him (in a safe area). I can almost guarantee he will follow you!

Doesn't always work  :005:  My Willow was awful on lead, the minute it attached to her collar her bottom hit the floor, even if I dropped the lead and walked away she would just sit there!  Thankfully she's fine now, but it did take a while  :005: