Author Topic: Destroying the wall etc  (Read 1205 times)

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
Destroying the wall etc
« on: November 27, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »
Hi, need some advice please.  Zoe  >:D my beautiful 5 month old has started to eat the artex off the wall and also eat the skirting boards and stairs.  This has happened two days running.  I cant understnad why. She is never really left alone apart from a couple of hours a day.  Has kongs, chews, chewy toys. All the attention she ever needs. walked 3 times a day. She even started on the wall when I was in the same room as her  :o so its not even when she is alone.  I am confused. She has always been a fussy eater but she weights excatly as she should at her age.  Any suggestions as to why or even how to stop it.  She was told off and she knew she had done wrong but she still went back to it.  Sorry for the long post but I dont have a solution

lynn
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline loudgg

Re: Destroying the wall etc
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
Is she teething? My 5 month old has lost a fair few teeth already. I  have found him eating my skirting board and the bottom of a bookcase and I think it is because his gums are obviously bothering him.
Gil, Toby Jug & Bailey Boo x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »

Teething is the likely cause...  ;)

Is this while she is alone, or while you are there?

If it's while you are there, try giving her some damp frozen flannels to chew on (these are very soothing) or something really crunchy (a bit of paddywack or similar) - there are times now that Honey just gets an urge to chew and will look for something suitable to crunch!!!

If it's while you are out, there's really no point in telling her off, as she won't know why you are cross - dog's don't know that they have done wrong, they only know that you are cross, and they won't make the connection between the thing they chewed even 2 minutes ago you being cross, they'll only learn that you are unpredicatable...  ;)  If it is while you are out, have you considered crate training her?  This would mean that she couldn't get to anything to damage...

Honey was fairly destructive from about 7 months through till 15 months or so... we just made sure she didn't have access to anything that was important!!!  ;)

Also, you say she can't be bored, as she is walked and has company, but do you do any training with her?? Mental stimulation (training, games etc) is very important and can help reduce destructive behaviour....  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 01:25:23 PM »
Alfie went through a phase of doing the same thing at about the same age, he chewed a chunk out of the kitchen wall, chewed the corners of the walls and also pulled a big bit off the skirting boards while I was in the house with him. I caught him doing it a couple of times and said 'ah ah!' firmly (he knew what that meant) and distracted him with a toy. He was quite a 'chewy' puppy anyway but I do remember reading that there is something in plaster that tastes appealing to dogs and I think he really just liked the taste and texture of it. He was getting plenty of exercise and training at the time and was hardly ever left alone so I put it down to teething and got him a bigger variety of stuff to chew on, he liked things with hard textures like the 'big dog' Nylabones and frozen apples were good too, he'd crunch on those for ages and the behaviour did stop thankfully! If you're leaving her on her own I would maybe consider Karma's suggestion of crate training her so you don't have to worry about her chewing while you're out.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »
There are taste-deterrent sprays such as bitter apple or anti-chew spray, I've not used them for this though and I suspect if one bit tastes bad, they'll just move on to something else!

Bitter Apple spray did stop my lab from chewing an antique chair though

Sophie
x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »
There are taste-deterrent sprays such as bitter apple or anti-chew spray, I've not used them for this though and I suspect if one bit tastes bad, they'll just move on to something else!

Bitter Apple spray did stop my lab from chewing an antique chair though

Sophie
x

Honey likes the flavour of the deterrent sprays....   ::) we knew we were on to a no-hoper with that when we found her chewing the chew deterrent bottle!!!!  :005:  >:D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »
Hehehe, that's not good!  :005:

I got Bitter Apple in my mouth once, it was FOUL!

Offline SandraD

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 03:53:28 PM »
Funnily enough Month (10 months) has just started doing the same thing! >:D  When he was younger he redecorated the wall by the back door, then stopped, however, last weekend he tackled the kitchen wall! ph34r  The first time he did it was in the early hours of the morning, the second time the next night, just as I put him to bed.  Like Nic I gave him a sharp "ah ah" and I am hoping he got the message!   Fingers crossed, he has been fine since, hubby doesn't know yet as he is currently in India - have tried to stick the wallpaper back down, but unfortunately for Monty, he managed to eat/shred a fair bit so I don't have the bits to try to mask his naughty deed. ph34r :005:

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 07:48:14 PM »
thanks guys for you suggestions. :D She does sleep in a crate but I leave the door open but kitchen door closed. She will eat any wood going just now so will just need to be extra vigilant.  we were so shocked  :o that our beautiful lady could have done these terrible crimes  ph34r after all she thinks she is a princess and acts like one :005:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
sounds like teething to me.
What about a puppy pen to keep your dog somewhere dog proofed when you can't supervise. ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk