Author Topic: Hi, im new and expecting my baby on the 24/12 :)  (Read 7530 times)

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
Re: Hi, im new and expecting my baby on the 24/12 :)
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
I am completely ignorant on this, but I wonder if you introduce the pup and rabbit young enough they will get on OK, just as dogs and cats do  :huh: might be worth starting a thread on it, as someone on here is guaranteed to have experience of it  ;)
I couldn't let my Molly anywhere near a guinea or bunny or she would bring it to me as a pressie  ph34r but obviously gundogs are trained to 'leave it' when it comes to live furries  :huh:
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 05:51:50 PM »
Im sure i have seen pictures on here recently with a pup and house rabbit that live together ?

I had a border collie that never bothered at all with my rabbits but Dennis even as a pup just wanted to chase them so i keep them very seperate  :D

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 05:54:52 PM »
Not quite the same but Sox (Jo) has ferrets that play with Sox.
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 06:05:24 PM »
I think your certifiable in the nicest possible way   :005:

Sound like you're well prepared though  ;)

It wouldn't be me that was prepared to start housetraining a puppy over  Christmas, doG I got Chloe on midsummers day, so lots of daylight and good weather, etc. I have no kids or other animals but I still landed up on the verge of a nervous breakdown  :005: :005:

I take my hat off to you, I really do, and I wish you a very merrry Christmas  :005: :005:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 06:11:36 PM »
Welcome to COL, sounds like a very busy household you have there! :o :005:

There is just myself and OH at ours, plus Duggie, who is almost 7 months, and Tia, a rescue, who is 4 and a half, they are both black show Cockers. I also have 3 rescue rats and 1 rescued hamster - kept well away from the dogs! Duggie loves them and used to play with them under supervision, but I wouldn't let Tia even see them, as she has been known to catch rabbits in her last home, and recently brought us a lovely gift of a pigeon. ph34r

I think what Jo meant about your breeder's motives, is that no responsible breeder or rescue would ever rehome a dog at Christmas time, as there are just far too many who end up unwanted and kicked out. It is also a very busy time to bring a new dog into the home, and can be very frightening for them. It seems you are willing to learn all you can and to give your pup a great home, but who knows what may happen to the rest of the litter. :-\ Jo and I are both involved in rescue, and have seen it numerous times, unfortunately. :'(

Would it be possible for the breeder to hold on to Daisy for you until the hecticness of Christmas is over, then she could be introduced to the family when everything is more settled, and nice and quiet? Your Christmas day will be spent taking your new pup out to the garden every half hour, plus she will want to sleep a lot and may get upset if the children are overexcited and trying to play with her.:D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »

Would it be possible for the breeder to hold on to Daisy for you until the hecticness of Christmas is over, then she could be introduced to the family when everything is more settled, and nice and quiet? Your Christmas day will be spent taking your new pup out to the garden every half hour, plus she will want to sleep a lot and may get upset if the children are overexcited and trying to play with her.:D

I was wondering exactly the same thing, but didn't like to say cos I guess you've got your heart set on puppy arriving for Christmas  :huh: Fiona is so right though, in some ways, it would be kinder to the puppy if you delayed picking him up for a few days; I know the kids will be high as kites looking forward to a Christmas pup, but it honestly would be easier on you, the family and the pup, if you delayed for a day or two. Please don't think I'm preaching...I didn't mean to, but am just thinking about the best things for the pup and ultimately you as a family  :huh:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 06:28:52 PM »
Im sure i have seen pictures on here recently with a pup and house rabbit that live together ?

I had a border collie that never bothered at all with my rabbits but Dennis even as a pup just wanted to chase them so i keep them very separate  :D

I do know of a Weimaraner that lives with 2 house rabbits, although he has been titled 'The worst gundog in the world' :011: :011: I've seen a video of them all milling around together it's amazing! I know a rabbit in my house would last about 2 seconds though so guess it depends on the dog. Agree that if they're introduced young there is more chance of them not being seen as pray though.

That's a good point about the pup's first day being Christmas day.. It might be extremely overwhelming dealing with that, excited children and being taken away from it's mum & litter mates all in one go... :-\

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »

I was wondering exactly the same thing, but didn't like to say cos I guess you've got your heart set on puppy arriving for Christmas  :huh: Fiona is so right though, in some ways, it would be kinder to the puppy if you delayed picking him up for a few days; I know the kids will be high as kites looking forward to a Christmas pup, but it honestly would be easier on you, the family and the pup, if you delayed for a day or two. Please don't think I'm preaching...I didn't mean to, but am just thinking about the best things for the pup and ultimately you as a family  :huh:

I agree with this too, sorry  :'( :-*  Its a huge, scary change for the puppy with leaving their mum & littermates, and to try to settle in a puppy over Xmas is going to be extremely difficult.  It is very unusual for any breeder to allow a puppy to go at this time of year.  :huh:  I wish you good luck with your new arrival but please be aware she will need some quiet time, lots of calm patience, attention and love.  ;)  I am really sorry as i don't wish to be a spoilsport and genuinely hope it all works out for you.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 07:59:27 PM »
Just to add on the pick up date note, most pups tend to cry a lot of the night in the early days so if he's arriving on Christmas eve you could all be up all night and absolutely shattered on Christmas day.. then get no sleep Christmas night either. If it was me I'd definitely ask the breeder to hang on to the pup until after boxing day when things have calmed down and you're not trying to do as much so can give pup lots of time for toilet training and quiet settling in. ;)

xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline carrie84uk

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 08:53:13 PM »
Omg im getting so confused!  :o I seemed to miss a page of this thread and ended up on another thread and replyed to it instead lol. Daisy is ready to be picked up on the 22nd but we thought it would be nice for the children to pick her up on the evening of christmas eve. Buuuuuut having said that ive taken what you have all said on board and it actually makes a lot of sense. So what i think i might do is pick her up on the 22nd instead to give her a few days to settle before the christmas day madness. Something i am wondering though is what time of day is best to pick her up? In the evening when the kids are in bed so shes got quiet to get used to the house, hubby and i? Or would that just confuse matters for her in the morning? Am i best just flinging her into the deep end so to speak and bringing her home during the day to 3 excitable children and a baby who most likely wont care  :005:
Mummy to 4 kids, 5 guineas, 1 rabbit 18 tropical fish & 1 Cocker :)

Offline carrie84uk

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 08:54:18 PM »
Oh and how do i add pictures to my posts?

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »
There's a sticky on how to post pics, I didn't find it easy at first, but you'll get the hang of it eventually  ;) 

I really can't advise you as to the best time of day to pick up your pup; my main concern when I picked up Chloe was that it had to be first thing in the morning (we had a 5 hour drive home and I wanted to minimise the risk of her being sick on the journey - so no breakfast for her  :005:)

I really couldn't comment on how best to introduce a pup into a household with children, so I just wish you all the best of luck  ;)

Offline dylan

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »
hi there and welcome to col. I just had to mention that i got Dylan on the 23rd dec. The breeder was great, was the 1st litter and he came from a working farm. I have only one son but we spent christmas day with the family (12 in total). He loved the attention but had his crate to escape if he wanted . Good look with your new addition and hope to see some pics very soon  ;)
Tina and Dylan

Offline carrie84uk

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 09:25:31 PM »
Its great to hear a positive expirience at a hectic time of the year. Thanks. Ive read the sticky going to try and post a photo, here goes

Offline carrie84uk

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 09:26:11 PM »
oook that didnt work, try again [IMG]http://i474