Author Topic: Newbie after advice  (Read 1359 times)

Offline *Yvonne*

Newbie after advice
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »
Hi all,

Joined as i need some advice on buying one of the beautiful breeds
I am looking at getting a Blue Roan Cocker spaniel and i just want to check the difference

Do Blue roans have specific markings? or are they black with white markings anywhere?
I am making sure I have an idea before looking

I believe they are loving dogs, very rewarding.

Hope you guys can steer me right

Thanks for reading

Yvonne

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Newbie after advice
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:52:49 PM »
Hello there, Welcome!

Blue roans can have black markings on them and vary massively in intensity of 'blue'. I have a very dark blue boy who has two perfectly matching saddle marks on his back and a sweet black spot on his shoulder... but you can hardly see them when his coat is longer as the black is very dominant.

You can see his marks very clearly here as a pup:

but they quickly dispear as his coat grows:

He's at the front of the pic here fully grown and you can see how little of his markings are usually visable now:

You can tell if a pup will be blue roan if all it's pads are black. A pup with black and white pads will either be black and white or sometimes black and white ticked but generally not blue roan  :D!

Cockers are sweet dogs but can be real wotsits when pups and are busy little dogs that require a good amount of exercise and training/stimulation when adults, but if you have the time, energy and patience :lol: you couldn't want for a better little pal!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
Hi, weve got Holly a 7 month orange roan show cocker, lots of play biting which has thankfully just about stopped 'hurray'  :005: lots of cocker kisses & yup there feet smell like digestive biscuits  :lol2: u'll find out in time....  :005:

Heres a thread on orange roans, same goes for blue so I think it should answer your questions, hope it helps

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=66713.0

Offline *Yvonne*

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies

I've heard (not sure if its true) that the solid colour spaniels are a little more boisterous??

I'm very excited about a new addition  :D 

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies

I've heard (not sure if its true) that the solid colour spaniels are a little more boisterous??

Generally no, it's an old wives tale  ;)

I've had a hyper solid gold boy... but he had a much sweeter, more tolerant nature than my blue roan - who I've had to manage very carefully as a pup/adolescent to make sure he didn't have aggression issues as an adult. All dogs vary it's best to find a good breeder and make your choice based on the parent dogs and breeder etc ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »
I've got 2 solids (one black and one gold) and 2 roans ( one blue and one orange)  I don't think the colour makes any difference to how lively they are.  

My blue is born to run and genetically very much the worker but his line is 1/4 worker)  The orange is laid back and the most placid of the 4.  The 2 solids are manic (but also they are the youngest at 7 months and 2 years) but they the most likely to be snuggled into you and wanting a cuddle at night, especially the bitch.  

My black was the more "outgoing" in his litter and he seems completely different persona to the others, I was warned I'd know I'd got him - I didn't realise everyone in a mile radius would too  :005:  we wanted him to show though and needed him to be more outgoing so that's OK with us.  If we'd wanted a quiet family pet, I'd of looked at one of the others perhaps  ;)

I think the advice on looking for a well bred pup and talking to the breeder about the temperament you want to fit your lifestyle is more relevant.  Look at the parents and how they are, possible that the pups are going to follow the parents  ;)

good luck with your search

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Chocolatecoco

• My chocolate baby
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:18:57 AM »
Hi welcome to yvonne

Jaspers mum and the others have given great advice, i own two solid cockers and the only thing i would advise is that they need lots and lots of exercise.

Jaspers mum the pics are gorgeous am so not going to get another dog ....... erm maybe i can control myself!

take care

amanda

My coco girly

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:39:13 AM »
Hi and welcome to COL  :D

I have two show type cockers a blue roan who is 14 months and a liver roan who is 5 months  :D I dont think how lively they are is down to colour , my blue roan Dennis is always on the go and very lively and Douglas liver roan is so dopey and laid back  :005: I think it all depends on the dog really.

Are you looking for a show cocker or working cocker ?

Here is the sticky from the looking for a puppy board , it might be worth a read.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2019.0

Offline *Yvonne*

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
Thanks for all your advice guys
We have now bought our new addition and my daughter has called him Ben  :005:

He came from a reputable breeder, all your advice helped, thanks xx