Author Topic: Manic Puppy!  (Read 17225 times)

Offline MuckyMeech

Re: Manic Puppy!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:52 PM »
You know, I think we will try that.  Do you know what the protein content in the Wellbeloved food is by any chance?

Your pup and ours seem very similar - completely hyper, bordering on aggression.

Thanks for any info you can give us on the food content.

No problems, I posted something very similar on here and got a lot of "it's normal behaviour" comments back, but Bomber, despite being very active, just didn't seem happy? He is now on the "Lamb and Rice" variety, the package states:

Ingredients: Lamb meat meal, rice, ground whole barley, potato protein, lamb fat, whole linseed, lamb gravy, sugar beet pulp, alfalfa, sodium chloride, natural seaweed, omega 3 oil supplement, chicory extract, lysine, calcium carbonate, DL methionine, yucca extract and threonine 
Contains: min. 26% lamb, min. 26% rice, min. 14% barley
Typical Analysis: Protein 30%, Oil 15%, Fibre 3%, Ash 9%, 

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »
What are you currently feeding him? Food can undoubtedly affect behaviour but along with that some puppies are just more full on and determined (i.e. bitey and persistent!) than others and he is still very young. With time, patience and consistency the vast majority do mature into normal, well-balanced adult dogs though. You're definitely not alone in this though, have a look at this recent thread and there are some more links to other similar threads on there too...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=69001.0

I just re-read your first post and wanted to add that whatever you do do not go down the route of using aversive training methods like pinching, scruffing, biting(!), shouting, water sprays etc. This will only lead to more confrontation and make him distrustful of you, I think you've realised that yourself but unfortunately there are still a lot of people out there who will tell you that it's 'what you should do' ::)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 10:23:55 PM »
He sounds just like Willow was at that age, it does get better, hang in there. 

It took many months for Willow to calm down, we got there in the end.  I can honestly say, I didn't enjoy her as a pup :'(  She didn't want to know as far as cuddles all she wanted was to bite and bite she did  >:D   Now though, she is very loving and calm.  Good luck.
Sarah

Willow and Katie

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 10:24:23 PM »
I am no expert but how about trying clicker training - it may focus his attention. Use really tasty treats that he will want to work hard for (I use small pieces of cooked chicken). Just short sessions of 2-3 minutes 3 or 4 times a day - as he picks it up, at least you will feel you are achieving something and he will be stimulated by it. There are lots of interactive toys out there (if you have a deep pocket) or how about hiding treats inside screwed up towels for him to ferret out.  :blink:
Paula & Freddie x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 10:52:16 PM »
Great advice from lots of other members  ;)

I don't think your puppy is any different from anyone else's. They will test you and push you to the limits. Your wee pup is still sooooo young, please don't expect too much  :luv:

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but hope it will be helpful......my wee Chloe is 21 months, and walks  beautifully on and off lead to heel in familiar places. Get her out to new places, and she's like a different dog. I took her up a mountain today, and thought she would be fine and not pull on the lead....oh, how wrong was I! She pulled like a train, cos she was in a completely different environment, and she can't generalise. I think this applies to all of the training we do with our dogs, we maybe think we've got it sused (whatever it might  be) and then they go off the rails. Its just cos they need training in soooooo many different environments iyswim

Sorry for rambling....Im in apres ski birthday mood...in other words, a bit tipsy and gobby  :shades: :005:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline blueroanlover

• Inactive
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 11:03:51 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. You are most helpful.

We are feeding him on Purina Pro Plan Puppy food right now. That was recommended by his breeder.

We certainly won't use punishment based training; never believed in that... but yes we are at our wits end and as Clover says, we are not enjoying our new puppy... we had waited months for him to be born and ready for us, but now that we have him, his constant incessant biting (every waking minute) is just soooo wearing and exhausting for us. 

We hope it will get better - we have to cling on to that hope - but at the moment like Clover said, we are not enjoying our new baby boy one iota.  And that means we are not forming a bond with him, which is very worrying.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »
yeah, that is worrying....I can't believe you are saying that you are not enjoying your pup one iota.....I'm sorry but that is completely beyond me  ph34r

Every pup bites and has to be taught bite inhibition... I really hope that you won't give up on your pup because you have difficulty in training this most basic of lessons....sorry  ph34r

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 11:31:53 PM »
Hmmmm knowing what Brodie was like at that age, I think I can see where they're coming from. I couldn't go near her, she was a little terror and reduced me to tears several times :P. Clapping and cuddles and all the other joys of puppyhood were a no-go and it did have an effect on our bonding. But we both got over it and you know Sue how much I love my girl now :shades: :luv:

I think you are just going through a very bad patch at the moment where you are wondering what on earth you've done bringing this little crocodile into your lives :005:. Just hang in there and stay calm around him - consistency is the key here ;). Things WILL get better, I promise you ;). It is a few weeks out of what are going to be years of joy.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline blueroanlover

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 08:48:29 AM »
Thanks JennyBee - I know you understand where we are coming from even if Sue doesn't. 

We are not novices at bringing up dogs, between us we have raised 9 of them and very successfully too.

We really appreciate the encouraging comments and replies on this thread... thank you so much.

Offline ginnygirl

• Bella
    • http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/ginnygirl_album/adc60ac1.jpg
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 10:04:54 AM »
Hi, poor you it feels really frustrating when you are going through this, so just to reasure you if you are consistent in the messages you give it definately subsides. the suggestion about the big cuddly toy sounds good. I used to put Ginny on her leash and keep it short beside me, although ignoring her, I tried to stay calm and just sit till she calmed and then give her affection. Eventually....and it seemed to happen overnight.....the crocodile turned into a kissable cuddly pup!
Julie

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 10:21:04 AM »

I do understand where you are coming from - Honey wasn't too bad a puppy, but there were plenty of times she reduced me to tears.
And certainly the first week we had her, my OH was home all week with her, and he was going stir crazy.  :shades:

It can be a huge upheaval - as you say you spend weeks looking forward to your new arrival, and then all it brings is stress... Try and take the time when she is asleep just to look at her and remember the excitement you felt waiting for her to come home.  With fair, consistent handling, the biting WILL reduce - it takes time, and there will be days when it doesn't look like anything is making any difference, but eventually it will!  And then you will be able to catch up on all the cocker cuddles that aren't happening right now!  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline jools59

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Hello, i think every dog has a different personality, i was in a situation where after a relationship split i was dog less after owning two beautiful cocker's. Since September after two years without a dog and suffering grief for the dogs i had lost, i decided to take the plunge and start looking for another dog. I picked up Poppy a week before Christmas and i was so excited, when i got her home i was shocked at how hard it is to look after a puppy again like you i had a croc on my hands, i can't even remember the other dogs doing this! I was very worried! The other issue i had was house training i was obsessed with trying to get the dog out at all hours of the day and night to save accidents hence i had hardly any sleep, and i began to think i had made the wrong decision.

Well that was 5 weeks ago, now i have a fantastic little girl who has been clean in the house for two days, she goes into her crate when we go to bed and stays there without a fuss until 6-7 in the morning. She cuddles up on the sofa without hardly any biting, how did we do it? we just persisted in being firm but kind we directed her teeth onto toy, trow a ball to fetch and teach her basic commands, we occupied her with  lots of games like find the treat, you have to remember this is a working dog (although ours is show type) who has lots of mental energy, since her second injection she has been out for short walks and this has helped not just the exercise but meeting new dogs and people and sniffing new smells.

I would stick with it if you want a dog in your life, but if you have made a mistake and not ready for the commitment now is the time to make a decision

Kind Regards and the best of luck

Julie

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
blueroanlover, I have just re-read this thread, and I want to apologise for my comments last night. Not only was my ramblings about training in all sorts of different places completely irrelevant but to suggest that teaching a pup bite inhibition is the most basic of lessons, was very insensitive and somewhat arrogant of me. I wasn't really paying attention and all I could think about was the fact that you seemed so negative about your pup, when you've only had him a fortnight or so. I really hope that things will get better for you, I'm sure they will. You will get great advice on here, fortunately not everyone is as tactless as me (I blame the whisky  ph34r :005:)

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 11:26:05 AM »
Morgan was the most energetic and trying of pups, so I sympathise with your situation. OH's ankles bore the battle scars for quite some time, and family members sat with their feet tucked under them to avoid the crocodile. He often seemed manic too, overly excited and unstoppable! We had to move loads of things out of his way, obviously he didn't know that the hearth-rug, sofa throws, cushions, doormats, the books on the bottom shelf, our bodies, etc etc, weren't chew-toys  ph34r

We'd never had a puppy with so much pent-up energy before (ignoring the visitors who said he was wilful  :shades: ) there were days when we were so relieved it was time for bed  :005: "Time out" was about the only thing that worked as he wanted to be with us so much, saying "Ow" when he nipped us didn't work at all in the early days, it just made him more excited, although after he'd been with us a few weeks he did start to realise that he was hurting us and has grown up with a superb bite inhibition. It was certainly hard work in those early days, he had 2 speeds, frenetic and asleep  :005: When he was asleep we were wary of moving in case he woke up and started again!  :lol2:

When he was (finally) able to go out, things got so much better, he had an outlet for some of his energy, his brain got tired assessing all the new things he'd seen. Time and persistence, being consistent in what you do will do the trick, it just seems never-ending at the time. He's a baby, he's got a little brain compared to ours and it takes time to assimilate and sort out what behaviour is expected. I look back on my human babies early years and remember how long it took to teach them to drink from a cup, eat without making a mess, potty training, dressing themselves etc. and it's very similar really!  ;)
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
I don't really have anything to add to what has been said and to what you are already doing - it sounds like you are experienced dog owners just needing a vent!!

Just wanted to say that I can sympthaise with the not bonding bit with your dog - when Ollie was a pup the first 2 weeks of having him were awful - I cried a lot and threatened to send him back!! i think when you have a testing pup, along with the lack of sleep it does make for grouchy parents!!!

Stick at it and I'm sure you already know it will be worth it in the long run!!!!

L&O x