Author Topic: panting after surgery - worried need some advice!  (Read 12853 times)

Offline Annabella

• Site Member
panting after surgery - worried need some advice!
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:10:55 PM »
hi

my 5 year old ty went in to have 3 lumps removed from his chest and abdomen today. Since he came home he's been sleepy obviously but has also been panting a lot despite not being that hot. Also when he walks he kind of scuttles like he's trying to run away from the pain in his tummy. Is this a normal reaction after surgery or should I be concerned? he's crying a lot but he can be a bit of a wimp and he's eating fine. No drinking yet or a wee or poo.
I just want some advice as to whether this is normal or not as i've never had a dog go through surgery before ( other than neutering but he barely noticed that!)

thanks in advance

anna xx

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: panting after surgery - worried need some advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »
Your poor boy  :luv:
when Ben has had surgery (once after neutering and once to remove a stick from throat) he has always cried and seemed uncomfortable afterwards a sort of wimpering and wailing not nice to hear. Both times he was shaky and wobbly on his legs and I was worried but the vet said some dogs react differently to anasethetic (sp).  I was advised to keep him warm, wrap in a blanket or duvet and wait and see over night if he settled down - both times he did.

Hope he is feeling better soon

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »
The panting could be due to stress  :-\. Do you have an emergency out of hours number for your vet? I've phoned before and talked to a nurse just to put my mind at rest  ;)

Millie

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:47:35 PM »
Poor boy, it does sounds like it could be the after effects of the anaesthetic, so I wouldn't worry unduly tonight  :-\  as  Ben's mum suggests keep him warm tonight and hopefully he will be better tomorrow, if you are still worried tomorrow give your vet a ring.  ( I assume that your vet did give him some pain relief   :huh:

I'll probably be facing the same worry next Monday when Barnaby has a GA to have some warts removed and a dental  ::)

:bigarmhug:  for you both  :-*

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:49:25 PM »
Bless him... Maggie was a bit of a state after surgery on her legs but I took her home so soon after she came round (it was in the evening) that she slept most of the time.  Re the drinking, have you maybe tried offering him some water from a syringe?  if he's had a pipe down the throat he will probably have a bit of a sore throat as well...
Sorry I can't help more than that, but as Sarah said - maybe a call to the surgery to see if they can put your mind at rest...
Hope the little guy picks up overnight  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Annabella

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 10:25:53 PM »
aw thanks guys for the quick replies - the vet gave him a pain relief injection and pills to start tomorrow. He's moved into the hallway where its a bit cooler and he seems to have settled down a bit - i think he got himself into a bit of a tiz and took me along for the ride!! he's sleeping now and seems better so hopefully by tomorrow he will be feeling a bit better.

again thankyou for your quick replies - its great to have a back up team!!

good luck to barnaby for next week - hope he doesnt feel a pathetic as ty!

anna xx

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Glad Ty seems to have settled a bit  ;)  has he had a drink yet ?  hope he's back to normal tomorrow ( thanks for thinking of barnaby  :blink:)

Jann

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:22:15 AM »
I hope Ty is feeling better this morning :luv:

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 08:54:16 AM »
Me too x x :luv:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:35 AM »
Aw poor love, hope he's feeling better today and the lumps aren't anything to worry about  :-* :-*

My Weimaraner was hospitalised last week for a day and a half after a snake bite and she panted and screamed and cried the whole time - I could hear her everytime I called for updates or visited her.. It's the first time she's had to be hospitalised since I've had her (she's a rescue) and I'm not sure how much of it was pain and distress and how much of it was panic about what had happened and the environment she was in :-\ I was really worried about her but she settled down as soon as I got her out of there and slept for nearly 2 days - she'd lost her voice from all the crying and screaming too.

Hopefully he was just a bit upset and now he's home can start to relax and recover... gentle squidges from here :luv: :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x