Author Topic: Just picked a Golden Cocker Spaniel Puppy - advice appreciated  (Read 7337 times)

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
Re: Just picked a Golden Cocker Spaniel Puppy - advice appreciated
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »
Hurtwood Dogs,
Almost all of your posts are a training session for me...I mean it...
just thanks!  :D
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline Max10

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 01:21:56 PM »
thanks Hurtwood you always have great advice, I agree with you entirely!! and your right they're innate nature is to hunt and are working dogs, i am totally confident that my dog will have all the stimulants he needs, we live on a farm and i love walking and there is always activity around the house so he certainly will not get bored & will have plenty of excercise  ;), i also hope to get another dog to keep him company along with my an old beautiful sheepdog that lives next door & is always visiting us he's 14 and most gentle dog you'll ever meet...so he will have loads to occupy himself by & all my time & love to train him... :luv: :police:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 02:09:54 PM »
Sounds like he'll have a great life :luv: - I got my dogs because I love walking and learnt what I needed to along the way as I screwed up learnt what they needed to keep them under control and happy  :lol: :luv: I also discovered I loved learning the best way to train and work with them and the amazing depth of bond that's possible and goes beyond 'training commands' when you start to read each other - which I hadn't really considered before I got my first cocker nearly 9 years ago. :doh: :lol: When are you looking to collect him?

The only other thing I would recommend is not to get a second pup until your first one has matured (generally that's somewhere between 18 months and 2.5 years for most cockers) and you're really happy with the level of training you have. The reason for this is that generally a second pup/dog will have a detrimental affect on the first dogs training so the better your existing dog is, the easier it will be for all of you - a reasonable age gap also tends to reduce any potential clashes between the dogs also ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 02:25:05 PM »
Some great advice there. I truly hope it all works out for you as there is nothing better than a gorgeous golden cocker pup in my eyes.  :luv:  :shades: Good luck with him and I hope to hear how well he's doing in the future.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Max10

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »
Thanks guys, I am collecting him in two weeks and counting.... Hurtwood i certainly know what a bond between dogs and owners feels like and how much of a joy they can be in your life - such special animals!! :luv: cant wait!! :dance04:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »
Looking forward to hearing about your new pup when he comes home. 

My golden girl is very vocal when out  ph34r  but she's my cuddly one at home.  She isn't an instant person lover, as far as she's concerned, most people have to earn her trust.  It's such a shame that so many people have an instant distrust because of their colour

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline cheriehenlow

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 06:08:57 PM »
Hi

what I would like to know is why do you have him at 5 weeks? any good breeder will not let their puppies leave after they are 8 weeks.
Your puppie is to young to be leaving it's mother.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
Hi

what I would like to know is why do you have him at 5 weeks? any good breeder will not let their puppies leave after they are 8 weeks.
Your puppie is to young to be leaving it's mother.

The OP doesn't have the puppy, they chose/picked him at 5 weeks.

To the OP, congratulations and wish you all the best with your new puppy.    I am still after a golden myself  :luv:

Offline cheriehenlow

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 06:18:59 PM »
Hi max, just read this so commenting after your last post. I wish you luck if you have made your final decision, if there is any doubt in your mind it isnt too late to think again, it would be heart breaking for you to have him with you and then realise he has some aggressive traits. If your heart is set on having this little boy then I look forward to pics of him on the site when he is home with you.  :blink:

Is your Cocker a working Cocker?

Offline ginnygirl

• Bella
    • http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/ginnygirl_album/adc60ac1.jpg
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »
She certainly is and a typical one..a very busy girl !
Julie

Offline englishwifey

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2010, 09:02:27 PM »
Hallo,

I too would walk away, also buying a pup at 5 weeks is early, recommendation is 8 weeks old.  Sorry it's not better news!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »
..i have had all sorts of breeds in past and I dont tolerate aggressive behaviour even as a pup so I do plan on training him and making sure i give him best possible start

But if your pup inherits a bad temperament no amount of training can change that. You may be able to do some training to ease certain situations but you will never ever erase it completely. Whether you tolerate it or not it will still be there.

I know you've made your decision but for what it's worth I really wish you would walk away. This is a decision where it's consequenses could live with you for the next 16 years.

As the owner of a dog with emperament issues & knowing what I know now , there is absolutely no way on this earth would I ever take this risk  :-\

Good luck with whatever you decide  :blink:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2010, 08:41:56 AM »
Closed at the OP's request.
Jane