Author Topic: Help...my 8 week old is beating up my 2 1/2yr old  (Read 841 times)

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
Help...my 8 week old is beating up my 2 1/2yr old
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:00:25 PM »
It's not like I wasn't expecting them to play fight and run round like looneys etc but I didn't think it would happen so soon. We only got puppy Charley on Friday and they are constantly play fighting and having to be broken up just to stop them getting carried away. There's a few cry's from both of them but at the moment I think Charley has the upper edge on poor Darcy :'(. This is the first time I've had 2 dogs together. Any tips on how to cope with a pup and an older dog would be really appreciated. ;)
Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Help...my 8 week old is beating up my 2 1/2yr old
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »
what do you mean to stop them getting carried away?

when one yelps or cries how does the other react?

When Brie arrived her and jack played constantly, they were a big novelty to each other  ::) same when Flynn arrived.

It normally is just play and as long as the dogs arent stressed by it and both are enjoying it and its not annoying you I would leave them too it. I have found it settlles down after a few weeks.

If one of mine went to far and the other cried the play would immediatly stop and the one that cried would normally get kisses off the one that caused it then it would start again  :005:

It looked terrible at times but was just play  :luv:

Brie used to kick Jacks butt when they were puppies :005: she was a tiny little madam, she still beats up her brothers in play now and shes nearly two.

If any of the dogs are stressed by it then I would make sure the older dogs getting a break from the pup during the day.

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:54:25 PM »
By getting carried away I guess I mean getting too boistrous and the pup begins to sounds almost aggressive. I don't think Darcy is stressed by it as she does 'egg her on' to play - and she still hasn't really told the pup off yet when she gets bitten which I thought she would do. If the pup cry's Darcy pauses if Darcy cry's they just carry on. Am I being too overprotective??
Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline RoxyRed

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:55:33 PM »
Roxy who is 4 months old plays, bites and runs circles around OH mums springer who is 8, Sally is so patient with Roxy and they play fight and makes noises for hours, its so funny and cute to see them like this and once Sally has had enough, she soon tells Roxy. They will curl up together and sleep together for hours too. If we think Sally has had enough and Roxy wont stop we soon put her in her crate and she is fine, everyone then gets some peace.

Sally sometimes makes Roxy yelp, they stop then start up again as though nothing has happened.

I think your older dog will soon let pup know when shes had enough and wants to be left alone  :D

xxxx

'A Dog is the Only Thing on Earth that Loves You, More than He Loves Himself'

RIP Roly at the Bridge 12.4.93 - 11.11.10

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:00:46 PM »
I agree with crazy cocker gang, play fighting can get very rough and look much naster then it actually is. Your puppy will be learning valuabe lessons from your existing dog about ite inhabition, reading other dogs bod language and doggy manners. For the most part i left my 2 to it and as a result my puppy was alot less rude to other dogs we encountered on walks. Shes been through that learning process already.

You just need to make sure that when one cries out the other is responding appriately. (ie letting go). Also look for signs they are both actively taking part. (ie one isnt just lying there while the other pins them down). If both these things are happening Id leave them to it.

It may look like our pup has the upper hand at the min but our exisiting dog will  be behaving as hes knows best and thats to be gentle around puppys. Especially at first as he wont want mum to turn up. Once he knows the pups here to stay he'll start to get the upper hand and teach our puppy some manners

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
I just removed all my limbs that were in danger or getting caught up in the mealie and left them too it...I split them up only if I was starting to get a headache or trying to hold a conversation or something....Oh and it was exactly the same here poor Sally was terrorised by Glen but she soon decided enough was enough and put him firmly in his place ;)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
We have Belle 13 mths and Monty 13 weeks, they playfight all the time ::), it sounds terrible and takes a while to realise they are only playing ;), it seems like Monty is getting the better of Belle most of the time as she is yelping as he bites her bum and ears ph34r but as soon as he oversteps the mark she lets him know he then becomes submissive and stops. It is sooo tempting to step in but they are best left alone to find their own boundaries, if Monty isn't initiating play you will often find Belle doing so :005:
If you step in too often your pup may not discover the natural boundries he is supposed to respect :-\. I find they are either playfighting or cuddled up asleep together ;) I also found in natural to feel sorry for and protective of your existing dog its as if you feel guilty for introducing this biting dervish into their sedate lives, but I really don't think Belle sees it that way :luv:
Does this look and sound familiar? and this is a quiet play session :005:

Their other preferred position

Hope this helps ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:00:57 PM »
Smudge & Katie are forever playing and sometimes it does sound like they are killing each other - but they are both alive and snoozing together as we speak.  :021: When Katie was tiny she certainly did want to take over as boss - but Smudge had other ideas........Suzie the ole collie used to keep out the way and let them get on with it...clever girl
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:04:16 PM »
my lot do sound horrendous when they are playing. If you only heard it you would swear you were about to walk into a blood bath but they have never ever hurt each other.

It took Jack a while to tell Brie off, I used to quite literally have to sit on my hands to stop myself pulling this orrid ickle pup off my little boy but im glad I did because he did eventually tell her off and they have a fab relationship.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:00:18 AM »
I've only got Maggie but since she was a tiny pup I've taken her with me to friends and they have a 3 year old collie X,  since day one they've scrapped pretty much on and off all day they are together. It looks and sounds like a full blown dog fight!  But by leaving them to it Maggie has learnt a lot about the boundaries of play and what and isn't acceptable. Everynow and then, even now, (Maggie's one now) one of them will nip the other through mis-timing etc and they will tell the other off - then play halts for about a minute while they reaffirm mutual love and affection.... then all hell breaks loose again  :005:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown