Author Topic: Vista 'User Profile Service' failed - cannot log on  (Read 997 times)

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
Vista 'User Profile Service' failed - cannot log on
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:14:09 PM »
Hi, can any of the COL IT experts help me, please?

I logged off my main PC this morning and a couple of hours later had to log on again to find a piece of information.   When I tried to log on, the error message 'The User Profile Service service failed the logon.  User profile cannot be loaded.'

I use a password but didn't create a password reset disk at the start  ph34r and I can't find any information, either in the handbooks provided or on the Net and I can't think of where else to look.

Help!

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
Re: Vista 'User Profile Service' failed - cannot log on
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »
I';ve had a quick look and a lot of posts etc point to this guide

hope its of some help

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

Cheers
Phil

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »
We had this a couple of weeks ago, it blocked OH's account and the Admin a/c so I couldn't do anything as it wouldn't accept instructions from me.

Are you able to access start on the computer? If so go into System Restore and pick a date prior to when you could last log on as it it could be something that has recently downloaded thats now blocking you. Accessed through Control Panel, System Maintenance, Back and Restore then use System Restore to fix problems and then follow instructions.

Have to admit this didn't work for us and in the end had to completely go back to restoring factory settings, having backed up all my documents photos etc. This I had to do through Recovery Manager.

I'm not that technical on IT, so may have gone a bit OTT but it was the only thing that worked. Perhaps someone who is more technical than me might be able to suggest a different route.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »
Thanks Phil and Holly Berry.

As is my wont, after posting I worried away at the problem and thought about system restore but couldn't remember how to access the safe mode options.   However, after I searched through all my notes from previous occasions I found one that said to press the F8 key rapidly whilst booting up which is what I did and eureka! just now I was able to log on through Safe Mode and do a system restore to last night, and now everything is back to normal.

It is good to know that there is always someone out there who is willing to help - perhaps your thoughts were telepathic and steered me to the solution  :005:

Again, many thanks.

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »
glad your sorted, thats the main thing

Phil