Author Topic: tipping up water bowl  (Read 784 times)

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
tipping up water bowl
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:12:23 PM »
Charley has started picking up her water bowl and emptying the contents all over the kitchen floor when I go out :luv:. Although I find it a little amusing (probably only because we've got a tiled floor) I need to try and nip this in the bud as I hate the thought of her not having any water down whilst I'm out, although if she got desperate she would probably lick the floor clean :005:.

Anyone had any similar experiences or suggestions. I have thought of changing the plastic one for a croc one but worried that would break or break a tile, but might be worth a try. Fortunately Darcy is seperated from her when I go out and has her own supply.
Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline terwish

Re: tipping up water bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:21:24 PM »
Sparky our Springer/Pointer did this - he also paddles in his water bowl. 
We think it is because he is obsessed by moving water ::)

Only solution we found was to use a stainless steel bucket - like you'd use in a stable instead of a bowl - this seems to do the trick and we havn't had any up-ending incidients - but I will add it doesn't work too well with our cockers who constantly drape their ears in it!

Trish XxxxX

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »
Odie does this too.  As he is crated when I'm out, I have a stainless steel one which fastens onto the crate so he can't get it off :005:  He also uses the very heavy cream P@H ceramic spaniel one which he can't pick up (as yet :shades:).
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »
Harvey does this too - every single day!!!  >:(

He also does his "minor mo" thing in it (like he's digging a hole in the bowl - the water goes everywhere!!) so if he's no upending it - he's splashing it everywhere...any suggestions would be gratefully received this end too!!  :D
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline MolliesMom

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:56:51 PM »

Mollie only upturns her bowls if they are empty.
Thank goodness   :lol2:
'If a dog thinks you are the best, dont seek a second opinion'.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:02:18 PM »
We use the solid stone water bowls, way too heavy to pick up, did have problems with s/s one with rubber bottom and plastic one's which were weighted down.  Can't even use plastic food bowls as once they've finished their dinner they then go on to destroy their bowls...lol.

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »
I caught Alfie with his nose in his water blowing bubbles the other day :lol2:. I think a ceramic bowl should work, i cant see her being able to knock one of these over - unless she was extremely determined and very very strong :005:. We have a brownish coloured one that says 'Dog' on the side - how original is that :005: xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:23:41 PM »
Thanks guys...just got back from PAH and bought the same one as geordietyke described.....fingers crossed, it seems heavy enough. Having said that she ran off with the 'Argos' catalogue yesterday and I struggle to get that home from town :005:

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 08:28:19 PM »
Thanks guys...just got back from PAH and bought the same one as geordietyke described.....fingers crossed, it seems heavy enough. Having said that she ran off with the 'Argos' catalogue yesterday and I struggle to get that home from town :005:

Flo has  no troublepicking ours up when it's empty and flinging it across the floor to say it's empty. I'm surprised iits not broken yet   ::)

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
Just got back from leaving her for a couple of hours with her new croc bowl  and it's still the right way round and full of water, however it is now at the other end of the kitchen.....thanks Jann, I'm now not holding out much hope :shades: