Author Topic: Hi...wanting to get a Cocker...  (Read 601 times)

Offline loupoppins

Hi...wanting to get a Cocker...
« on: May 02, 2010, 04:09:31 PM »
Hello. Thought I'd introduce myself! I haven't got a cocker...YET LOL
I have got a 1yr old crossbreed called Bella. We adopted her last Sep when she was 6months old. She turned 1 in Feb.We are not totally sure what breeds she has in her, but we think is mostly CollieXStaffie. She is very intelligent and super high energy-virtually impossible to tire out LOL.Being a rescue dog she has had some issues that we have needed to work on, but she is coming on briliantly and is the most wonderful dog!Great with the kids,loves everyone,adores other dogs!
I am hoping to get another dog, but will be waiting for at least 12,possibly 18 months as I want to work on a bit more training with Bella first and would like her to be a bit older.(ie not a stroppy teenager anymore LOL)I was thinking of a collie, but have now fallen in love with cockers.and also was thinking that a show cocker may be a bit less full on than a collie? I am at home all the time (well other than school runs/shopping trips etc) and Bella usually gets at least 2 hours of walks a day.We live near woods and a lake, so lots of running round the woods and swimming in the lake.I have also just started agility with Bella....have never seen a cocker there though LOL So I can provide lots of excercise/stimulation...would that be enough for a show cocker do you think...I know they are busy little things..even the show ones.But I cant imagine they could be worse than Bella LOL
I have got young children, who are always obviously supervised around the dog...are cockers generally good with children?
Anyway...as I know I will be waiting 12months at least I plan on doing a lot of research in the meantime to make sure they are the right breed for me and to get prepared!
Will willingly receive any advice LOL

Louise

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
Re: Hi...wanting to get a Cocker...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »
Hello and Welcome
Firstly well done for taking on and working so hard with Bella. She sounds lovely and we would love some piccies in the Misc piccies board  :D You sound like a perfect home for a cocker.
I have 2. One from a pup Eric (blue roan, 2.5 years) and my rescue Lucy, I got her at 8 months and she is 2 in July. Like your Bella Lucy has a few issues that we have worked hard with but it is oh so worth it. I have a young daughter, she is 4 and a bit and i find Eric and Lucy are great with her. With supervision I find both the dogs and Ruby get a lot from their relationship   :D

Em, Eric and Lucy

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
Re: Hi...wanting to get a Cocker...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »
Hi Louise

Welcome to COL :D
I have a 4 year old show cocker. She is a busy, nutty, and at times - gobby - little cocker. She is very loving and sweet natured, and adores my children, and being quite small is just about the right size for them to cuddle up to :luv:
Good luck with your search :D

Caz