Author Topic: To Milk Or Not To Milk?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline nikki

• Site Member
To Milk Or Not To Milk?
« on: November 21, 2004, 11:51:32 AM »
I have been brought up in a house where its ok to feed our dogs a cup of tea (without sugar) in the morning and evening.  the tea is more milk than anything else!

When i got Millie i decided to do the same and it gave her the runs!   :angry:
She has just spent the week around my mums while me and OH were in Germany visiting the in laws.
My mum has been giving her milk on demand saying everytime she makes a cup of tea Millie begs! and she says it doesnt give her runs!
I told her it is no good for her and under no circumstances should she feed her milk (after reading lots about it). :angry:

My mums argument is after having 2 springers and a brittany spaniel she knows best!  
Since Millie has been home she has become a pain in the bum!  begging everytime the milk comes out of the fridge!
She also wont come in from the garden since shes come back which is a real pain!
Unfortunatly i am going to have to put up with it as when i go back to work next week Millie will be round there on the days OH is working shifts!

Mums are supposed to know best but on this one i think im right!!!!!

Offline PennyB

To Milk Or Not To Milk?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 12:38:33 PM »
I think owners know their dogs best so you're right whatever your mum thinks.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
To Milk Or Not To Milk?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 01:39:39 PM »
imho - Millie is your dog not your mum's and so your mum should do what you ask ;) . However, as you are relying on her providing some care for Millie,  I can see you having fun with this one coz at the end of the day you won't know what your mum's been giving her :rolleyes: .

You do though have some strong evidence here to tell your mum - in that it's giving Mille unwanted habits - ie begging at the fridge etc. I think that's the road I'd take, ie that because she's going to be going between the houses so to speak it's vital that she has consistent treatment from both and that is she is yours and spends most of the time at yours, the milk has to stop. Similarly, the rest of the training has to be consistently applied or Millie will end up being a difficult dog.

I don't envy you this - so good luck!! :lol:

hth :D  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline nikki

• Site Member
To Milk Or Not To Milk?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 01:43:52 PM »
thanks Pammy  :lol:

Luckily she will be at mine 90% of the time.  only at my mums 1 or 2 times a week thank god!  what makes it worse is my OH does not like Millie on the furniture(i dont have a problem with it but must respect his wishes) mum has had her on the sofa all week!!!! so thats another problem! ahhhhhhhh :(  

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
To Milk Or Not To Milk?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 04:04:51 PM »
Just try & explain that, as with people, some dogs can't tolerate what others can.
Many dogs are unable to tolerate cow's milk.  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
To Milk Or Not To Milk?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 08:50:48 PM »
Oh dear I don't envy your situation, perhaps this is a compromise.  I give Indie goats milk, not all the time, just now and then this was a major part of her puppy meals, when she had left her mum.  Goats milk is supposed to be kinder to dogs tummies than cows milk, why not get a carton in for when you mum is looking after your dog, then if she really must feed your dog milk, at least its hopefully not going to upset her tummy :)   Other than that you are just going to have to really put your foot down :unsure:

Good luck

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
To Milk Or Not To Milk?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 07:57:14 AM »
Oh dear, dear, dear....MUMS! :D

Sorry cannot offer any advice other than what's already been given.  

I understand the sitting on furniture thing though - a very easy habit to pick up and a very difficult one to lose  :o   We do allow ours on the sofa, but the problem is she gets onto other peoples sofa's when we visit their houses and we cannot expect her to do one thing at one house and another at ours.  

Not sure how you're going to manage this one, but it really does need sorting  to avoid problems with hubby <_<

Good luck  :D  
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
To Milk Or Not To Milk?
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 09:04:22 AM »
We have always given our girls milk (watered down) and have never had a problem with it, but i accept that some dogs can be sensitive to it - so  i can see your concern.

But if your Millie has been having milk and is not showing ill health - then maybe she has become more tollerant as she has grown!

Clare  
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline nikki

• Site Member
To Milk Or Not To Milk?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 06:47:24 PM »
Goats milk is supposed to be kinder to dogs tummies than cows milk
Goats milk sounds like a great idea!  think i will try that one!  never thought of it before!  Thanx xxxx