Author Topic: Puppies And Pigs Ears  (Read 1548 times)

Offline tysilio

• Site Member
    • http://
Puppies And Pigs Ears
« on: November 19, 2004, 03:27:49 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post and you all seem very helpful and pleasant. Is 4 months too young for my cocker Merlin to have pigs ears. He attacks rawhide chews with gusto (usually the one our Flatcoat, Brodie is chewing at the time) but I can't remember how old Brodie was when we first gave him them. I seem to recall seeing here about them being too rich for a young pup.

Dave and Merlin (+  Brodie the Flatcoat)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Puppies And Pigs Ears
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 06:58:10 PM »
Molo was about 4 months when he had his first one; as he still had all his puppy teeth he didn't do much other than make it really soggy; but he did get loose stools for a few days, so I held off giving him another one for about another 4 weeks or so, and hes been fine since!

HTH
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Puppies And Pigs Ears
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 09:08:35 AM »
Ours are 8 weeks and on them already - Gypsi running around carrying hers more than anything else!

Clare
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline nikki

• Site Member
Puppies And Pigs Ears
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 06:48:54 PM »
Millie has just been bought her first one!  not really that interested but we will see what happens when we are eating dinner as thats normally when she chews her rawhide!

Offline Bellbellsmum

• Site Member
    • http://
Puppies And Pigs Ears
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 10:56:04 PM »
Bella had her first one at about 10 weeks which she just nibbled, but she is 4 months now and demolishes them in minutes.  She does get a runny bum for a day though, so I only give them to her when she is really good and wont be home alone.  Mind you thinking about it she was ok with her last one  :blink:  
Laura and Bella (Bellyflops) xxxxxx

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Puppies And Pigs Ears
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 11:58:29 PM »
I can't remember what age Molly was when I first gave her a pig's ear and I haven't tried Brodie with them yet.  He's only 15 weeks and would sell his soul for food so I'll probably try him with one soon.  If it agrees with him, great, if not I'll just wait a while longer and try again.  Is there a recommended minimum age for giving them?

Edited to say...Welcome to COL! :D  
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!