Author Topic: Bath-time  (Read 895 times)

Offline grracee

Bath-time
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:07:24 PM »
I had to bath Charlie this morning as we had an incident where he walked underneath my lab while he was going for a pee ::) This was only his second bath & i was wondering whether anyone could give me any tips on helping him like being bathed? He really didnt like it, also the drying after he really hated. If anyone has any tips i will be really pleased :D

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Bath-time
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
Sorry, no tips but just to let you know, Odie hates being bathed too! :005:  He had a bath regularly for the first few weeks as his toiletting habits left him (and me and cage >:() absolutely scruffy.  He used to try and scramble out of the bath.  He rarely needs a bath nowadays but when he does, he still dislikes it, so not sure what can be done :huh:  He also hates the hairdryer too!!
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline grracee

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
He used to try and scramble out of the bath.  He rarely needs a bath nowadays but when he does, he still dislikes it, so not sure what can be done :huh:  He also hates the hairdryer too!!

Charlie did that this morning, I think I got more wet than he did! He wasnt too keen on the hairdryer to start with but after a few minutes I think he started to enjoy it! :005: I dont really bath him much either, the vet said not to really only once in 2 months or something like that. Only i had to bath him today because of him having his back covered in pee :005:

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:34:42 PM »
Aww Charlie what a daft thing to do  :005:
Mine don't really like a bath but they will stand and be good ( most of the time!!).  I put the plug in the bath and make sure a non slip mat is down, I then use the shower attachment to hose them down, I massage in shampoo and they both seem to like this keep telling them they are being good and reassure them. I tend to massage shampoo into their ears and let it soak whilst I do the rest of them, this dissolves the gravy and anything else glued in the bottom. They don't like the noise of the shower so I remove the head and just use the hose, or put the head close to their skin. When Jasmine was little and scared I have put on my swimming costume and got in with her, the things we do for them  :005:
Jasmine will still sometimes try to jump ou so I pull the shower curtain across quite a bit to make it harder.

As for drying I don't use the hairdryer they hate it so maybe someone else will come along with a tip. Mine scream and shake and i wont put them through it. Yet they watch me dry my hair everyday and thats not an issue  >:(
I use absorbent doggy towels and they love being dryed its a big game to them, I rough them up with it rubbing hard all over and they spin around woofing. I must admit I am absolutely shattered when I have bathed both of them!!!!
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 08:35:15 PM »
Keli hated baths. He would howl and whine so much you would think I was attempting to drown the poor thing. I say bath I mean a shower in the bath. Tali, however, has been very good in the bath, I mean shower, you know what I mean. Just talking gently, showing him the water on my arms, smelling the shampoo, saying Tali's shampoo and just general compliments and praise with slow gentle movements. But as I say this didn't work for Keli. However Keli loved the hairdryer and loved being outside in the summer drying off. Tali was a little nervous of the hairdryer but give him time. All dogs are different.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »
Alfie doesnt necessarily like being bathed, he just stands there looking very sorry for himself. He makes funny groaning noises when i scrub him with the shampoo too :005:. He also sucks on his ears when they are wet :005:. He tries to do a runner when i put him on the floor though, little >:D. He didnt used to like the hair dryer so i just made sure he was in the room with me when i was drying my hair, then i just used to sort of wave it over him from a distance, then slowly get a bit closer without being obvious about it (with the hair dryer on low speed, low heat). At first he used to dash around the room at the slightest blow, but now after taking the 'slowly but surely' approach he will lie on his back whilst i blast him full speed :005:. He still gets bored very easily though so i only do it to take the main wetness away, then i let him dry off naturally.
Meg is a star to be bathed, but doesnt really like the hair dryer and will only put up with it for a few minutes, then she starts grumping and grumbling so i shove her equafleece on :luv:

Good luck, it will come in time ;) :luv:
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 09:46:35 PM »
My Rosie hates being bathed and normally rips my arms to pieces  :-\ so now my OH feeds her small bits of kibble whilst i do a quick shampoo and rinse  :blink:
Thankfully my other 3 cockers love it and even get conditioner  :005: :luv:

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 02:32:30 PM »
Treats! lots of them! OH used to feed one end while I bathed! she is now 3 and will put up with me showering her on my own as long as the treat bag is ready.  I can shower and dry her and now just treat her at the end! She doesn't like it though!!

Offline redlottie

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
My Otto doesnt really like it, but he will let me bath him.

Again plug in the bath and use the shower head.  As for drying he hates the hairdryer so i just throw a big bath sheet over him and rub him to get most of the moisture out - great excuse for getting cuddles as he can't escape  ;)

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 04:45:31 PM »
Henry hates having a wash we started putting him in the bath but it got far too messy so now either me or hubby strip off and get into the double shower with him and close the door so he can't escape then a quick wash and then when we open the shower door it's a mad dash to cover him in a towel before he runs off to wet the whole house  :005:
to dry him we just pop his aquafleece on, we haven't had to wash puppy yet so we've got that to look forward to  ph34r
cocker spaniels make everything ok