Author Topic: How much exercise?  (Read 61488 times)

Offline Sarafina

Re: How much exercise?
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2010, 08:40:38 PM »
But, I have to admit, in my personal opinion, I prefer to have one longer walk (that way that is "done with"), and the other walks a bit shorter just so she can do her thing.
I do find this statement a little sad.  It is almost as though you see a dog walk as a chore. :shades:
I get great pleasure taking my dogs out and the more I take them out, the more they respond and bond with me. It may be an effort to do more walks but once you are out it is SO enjoyable.  ;) The more you do with your dog, the more you get out of them :D

I agree on what you say, my words there sounded sad, sorry. But, I have to say, that I find great pleasure in walking my dog. I mean, this thread is about whether or not I give her too much exercise  ;)
When I am out with her, I prefer being out for about 1 hour, and not rush to get home. It is just that (as dog owners without a garden) we do have to go out quite many times a day, which I enjoy, but sometimes I am in a rush or whatever. I have to admit that, because I am not a morning person, the morning walk seems a little bit like a chore. But I really enjoy my dog and the acitivty that we do togheyter.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2010, 09:35:05 AM »
Carry on enjoying your dog and we can only do our best, I know the guide dogs for the blind only exercise there dogs for 10 mins a day, (thats what is was 8 years ago unless things have changed) and am sure someone will let us know if it has.

Offline Sarafina

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
Have any of you heard about someone who exercised their puppy too much, so that the dog got problems in adulthood?

I get the feeling that we get all these warnings, but seldom hear about anyone who was affected, or regret it. My vet agreed that over-exercise is NOT good - but, the worst thing you can do to your dog is too little activity, she said.

Offline mooching

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2010, 02:04:22 PM »
Sarafina,

5 mins per month of age, 2-3 times a day, can in no way be construed as "too little activity".

Offline Sarafina

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
Sarafina,

5 mins per month of age, 2-3 times a day, can in no way be construed as "too little activity".

I agree, thank you! However, my puppy always looks like she wants to go out and be active all the time.. However, Im sure that just comes with being a puppy. Thanks for all the great advice here  :blink:

Offline mooching

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »
Sarafina, maybe then instead of hard walking for the whole walk, stop halfway and have some off the lead play time. That increases the amount of exercise without it all being hard (on the lead) walking.