Author Topic: Found you today and could do with some advice.  (Read 950 times)

Offline alanthedog

Found you today and could do with some advice.
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:01:43 PM »
Hi, only found this site today so forgive me if this posted in the wrong place.

I am the proud owner of a 1 year old cocker spaniel called Alan. He is a cross between a show and worker and was bought purely as a pet and is absolutley adorable.

As I have grown to love the breed, I would now like to buy a show cocker with the hope to get involved in the show circle.

As I am a novice I would appreciate any advice any experienced people have and also, how do I guarantee buying a purebred show cocker.

Thanks xx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Found you today and could do with some advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:44:11 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL!  There are lots of lovely people on here who show their beautiful dogs so someone will be along shortly with advice, I'm sure.  I have an adorable 8 month old golden show boy called Odie.  Tons of general advice and chat on here too!  Lesley  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum :D. Here is a link for what to look out for in a reputable breeder http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=48072.0. These breeders are very unlikely to cross the two strains of cocker as it really does not tend to benefit the breed :blink:. Avoid free ads and websites as these are often covers for puppy farmers or backyard breeders who tend not to be really bothered about the differences between working and show and do not health test. I imagine your best bet is to find a breeder who shows their dogs as they will be able to help you find a pup with potential for showing - hopefully someone with more experience in the showing side of things will have more advice for you :blink:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »
Hello and welcome to Alan and his mum/dad some pics would be nice.  You will find lots of information on here.  I have Selby aged 9 months and he is a Blue Roan show dog but we dont show him he is just our little boy.

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:16:54 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL, you'll find loads of really useful advise and info on COL - some you didn't even know you needed  :005: and loads of support too.
I have a blue roan show girl Poppy  :luv:
Looking forward to pics of Alan  :D
Janet & Poppy

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »
Welcome. If you want to get into showing, I would recommend buying the Dog World magazine where they advertise the shows, find some local ones and go along to watch and meet thoses interested in showing.

You will make lots of friends and learn a lot that way.

Eve

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
Welcome. If you want to get into showing, I would recommend buying the Dog World magazine where they advertise the shows, find some local ones and go along to watch and meet thoses interested in showing.

You will make lots of friends and learn a lot that way.

Eve

Excellent advice.  ;) I really do think that's the best way as you can talk to people in person. See their dogs and maybe even pick up some useful tips on showing at the same time. You will have a lovely day out. Welcome to COL by the way. I am owned by 6 cockers of which I show 1 boy Tally and will soon also be showing my new boy Dru. Good luck with your search and maybe we'll see you at a show in the future.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx