Author Topic: puppy madness  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Re: puppy madness
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 10:21:57 AM »
There are very few reputable breeders who would sell littermates to the same home and it's usually to people who they know very well  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 10:56:42 AM »
There are very few reputable breeders who would sell littermates to the same home and it's usually to people who they know very well  :-\.

I agree and then usually its rescues that end up taking one or other back - as a rescue we will never rehome two pups together either. I have only ever seen 1 in 10 or more that have been successful unless th eowners reall yput in all the additional work that it involves - training separately etc. + I meet many who wish they had known no matter how much they love their dogs.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »
There are probably negative and positive points to taking a pair of littermates I would think :003:  At least you will be getting all the sleepless nights over and done with in one and I am sure they will be good friends for each other which will help with any potention Separation Anxiety :luv: It will be interesting to see how their personalities develop and if anyone is boss :lol2:

Sorry I don't have any advice.....we like to brace ourselves and train one dog up before we move the next one in :005:  The two boys we have now are only 8 months apart in age and it can be difficult trying to give them some one to one training and attention....I think for us, this is the biggest part to juggle :P :P

Best of luck!
thanks for the advice.i think it is anxiety and excitment on my part but there are the two of us for training so with a bit of luck we can train them seperatly if need be

it's not a case of 'needs be' - you SHOULD train them separately as a matter of course - agree with PennyB and Cayley on this...
helen & jarvis x

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »
I have two litter mater 5 month old bitches, and yes they have been very hard work, initially we had a puppy pen set up in the lounge with a large dog cage bedroom.
Then we progressed to putting them into seperate  cages next to each other (doors open)so that they can sleep seperately if they wish, in the utility room with a lino'ed area and dog flap.
Externally we limited them to a flagged area , except when we are around then they get the run of the garden.
I tried the seperate walking, but eventually found it a slog and now do take them out together, it is working at the moment, as they mature they have different personalities , one is laid back , the other is more manic, but they are both devoted to me , but affectionate/loving with each other .I am not worried regarding their training .I have never specifically trained my Cockers , they have evolved with me and my life style and other than lacking strong social skills (due to the fact we live in a fairly remote area) I have never had any problems with them . 
I was told they would not pick up their names, would be difficult to toilet train, would not bond to me !! they learned their seperate names within a week , therefore are totally aware when instruction is put their way...once they were allowed constant  access to the back door, their habits improved overnight (literally) and yes when it rains we have had one or two 'accidents',... and the bonding is as stong as it could be
OK I know there are times ahead when they mature ,when things MAY change, I cannot see into the future just take things as they come .

Offline deane9050

• haaa heaven
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 05:10:52 PM »
I have two litter mater 5 month old bitches, and yes they have been very hard work, initially we had a puppy pen set up in the lounge with a large dog cage bedroom.
Then we progressed to putting them into seperate  cages next to each other (doors open)so that they can sleep seperately if they wish, in the utility room with a lino'ed area and dog flap.
Externally we limited them to a flagged area , except when we are around then they get the run of the garden.
I tried the seperate walking, but eventually found it a slog and now do take them out together, it is working at the moment, as they mature they have different personalities , one is laid back , the other is more manic, but they are both devoted to me , but affectionate/loving with each other .I am not worried regarding their training .I have never specifically trained my Cockers , they have evolved with me and my life style and other than lacking strong social skills (due to the fact we live in a fairly remote area) I have never had any problems with them . 
I was told they would not pick up their names, would be difficult to toilet train, would not bond to me !! they learned their seperate names within a week , therefore are totally aware when instruction is put their way...once they were allowed constant  access to the back door, their habits improved overnight (literally) and yes when it rains we have had one or two 'accidents',... and the bonding is as stong as it could be
OK I know there are times ahead when they mature ,when things MAY change, I cannot see into the future just take things as they come .

thankyou for the info it is very interesting how different owners have different ways of bringing there dogs up .the conseses is to train and bring them up individually that is what we will do .we have read a lot of material and took as much advice as we could and we will do our utmost and best for these lovely chaps

Offline deane9050

• haaa heaven
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »
There are probably negative and positive points to taking a pair of littermates I would think :003:  At least you will be getting all the sleepless nights over and done with in one and I am sure they will be good friends for each other which will help with any potention Separation Anxiety :luv: It will be interesting to see how their personalities develop and if anyone is boss :lol2:

Sorry I don't have any advice.....we like to brace ourselves and train one dog up before we move the next one in :005:  The two boys we have now are only 8 months apart in age and it can be difficult trying to give them some one to one training and attention....I think for us, this is the biggest part to juggle :P :P

Best of luck!
thanks for the advice.i think it is anxiety and excitment on my part but there are the two of us for training so with a bit of luck we can train them seperatly if need be

it's not a case of 'needs be' - you SHOULD train them separately as a matter of course - agree with PennyB and Cayley on this...
i think needs be was the wrong phrase we will do everything we can to make this a success and the cockers will be no1 priority its a learning curve for us that is why we asked for advice thankyou for your comments