Author Topic: A Very Happy Doggy!  (Read 3225 times)

Offline lauraoc1

• 15 weeks and gorgeous!
Re: A Very Happy Doggy!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:59:34 PM »
just given Harvey his first dried cows ear. Oh my goodness, hideous looking at it. He barked at it, pawed it for a bit. It stood up on end on the floor looking awful and then.....chewed it contentedly for 20 mins before i took it away. Are they ok for them? Or full of salt? Does anybody know...would like to know if this is a treat that should be really really rationed.

Offline mooching

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 09:33:19 PM »
laura

Sorry, but cows ears, pigs ears and rawhide chews/bones are NOT GOOD for dogs, and ESPECIALLY not for pups. Both pups and dogs have been known to either choke on bits, or have bits give them an intestinal blockage. Cows ears and pigs ears have also been linked to pancreatitis.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
laura

Sorry, but cows ears, pigs ears and rawhide chews/bones are NOT GOOD for dogs, and ESPECIALLY not for pups. Both pups and dogs have been known to either choke on bits, or have bits give them an intestinal blockage. Cows ears and pigs ears have also been linked to pancreatitis.

That's your opinion Mooching - and a very strong scaremongering one in this case I believe.  

I give my dog pigs ear strips and rawhide chews, and as far as I'm concerned in MODERATION and supervised they are absolutely fine.  Pigs ears are fatty and can cause diarrhoea so that's why I give the strips.

As for the link to pancreatitus, there are many many causes and excess of any fatty rich food can be a cause.

Anyway, I'll lock this thread as it's 5 years old.  You can start a new one if you like lauroc1  :D
helen & jarvis x