Author Topic: 1 Sleep!!!!!!  (Read 1114 times)

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
1 Sleep!!!!!!
« on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »
im soo excited,  only 1 sleep til we bring little Ollie home our 7 1/2 week old Chocolate Working Cocker!!!  I'll post lots of pics tomorrow! Im a cocker novice having always had German shepherds all of which were rescues so never had a pup either!!

A few last minute questions,  conflicting advice on where he sould sleep, I've got his crate set up in the livingroom,  Its den-like, covered, cosy bed and a snuggle puppy (one you warm in the microwave).  I'll be putting a t shirt in with him too. I'll be popping him in it throughout the day and evening tomorrow. Do I try to get him to sleep happily in there the first night?  I can make sure my other dog (Skye the 4 year old German Shepherd) is in the livingroom too so he knows he's not completely on his own. or, do I take him into our bedroom to sleep by the bed?  Skye sleeps in the livingroom and hall (she has 2 beds) so think it'd be a bit unfair to have him in the bedroom.

oh and I've got the DAP defuser plugged in,  a DAP spray for when he's in the car and to spray his crate and a DAP collar. (my friend is a vet nurse and got me spending wayyyy to much money!!!)  Skye is also wearing the DAP collar and shes so much more relaxed (we moved house 8 weeks ago).

Oh and if any of you are near Dalkeith I need to find some doggy walking buddies!!

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
Re: 1 Sleep!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Ahh exciting times ahead  :blink:
First night we went with what we wanted long term, Holly in her crate in the kitchen, bit of her litter mates stinky bedding, her bed and some vet bed, left the crate door open for about 2 weeks while we were toilet training and until her wee bladder could hold more than a teaspoonful  :005:... put newspaper down to start then a puppy pad during the night, took these away during the day and out for a tinkle every hour / after meals / after play! Some people divide the crate otherwise you end up with a poopy pup & lots of bedding to wash  :D
I'm sure you'll find your own routine  :blink: good luck and can't wait to see lots of Ollie pics!
Nic & Holly

Offline mooching

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »
The advice I read was to put the pup in the crate from the very first night, otherwise it can make it more difficult to settle them in it afterwards.

So that's what we did with Alfie - had the crate open in the day, with a few treats scattered inside, and by the time bedtime came, he was happy to settle there (in the kitchen).

So I'd suggest putting him in the crate at night, in the living room, from the off, to get him accustomed to how you want things right from the beginning.

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »
thanks for the advice,  Im going to start as I mean to go on so treats scattered into the crate thoughout the day so he can have a nosy, (we'll be home by mid early afternoon) hopefully he sleeps ok!! feed in the crate too.

Offline mooching

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:28:21 PM »
thanks for the advice,  Im going to start as I mean to go on so treats scattered into the crate thoughout the day so he can have a nosy, (we'll be home by mid early afternoon) hopefully he sleeps ok!! feed in the crate too.

I didn't feed Alfie in the crate but close by. Apart from anything else, there wasn't really room (how big is your crate?). I can't remember why, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to feed in the crate, though I may be mistaken.

Do you have a water bowl for the crate? I got a neat little 4" bolt-on one from EBay, and it's been great.

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:33:30 PM »
We fed Alfie in his crate for the first few weeks so that Meg didnt try and steal it ::) and at the first couple of meals it helped him 'like' being in there (although he loved his crate the moment he walked into the house). It caused no problems for us (and i dont see how it could), it just made his bedding a bit mucky!

He was also in his crate all night from the first night too, again no problems at all and it worked really well for us xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline mooching

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:37:11 PM »
I just read elsewhere that feeding pups in their crates can lead to becoming possessive over food. I'm not sure if that's what I read before! lol

But I can see a possible practical problem - since you're meant to take the pup outside to hopefully wee/poo after he has eaten, if he's in the crate it might make it a bit awkward trying to get him out quickly.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
Just to add, I've always fed Odie in his crate with no problems.  He'll sit outside it and wait until I've filled the bowl up, then dive right in :005: He has never been possessive with food, but maybe I've been lucky?

I too have a bolt on coop cup for his water after he decided that it was tons of fun to paw all the water out all over the place, from his large ceramic spaniel bowl ::)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 10:01:01 AM »
Just to add, I've always fed Odie in his crate with no problems.  He'll sit outside it and wait until I've filled the bowl up, then dive right in :005: He has never been possessive with food, but maybe I've been lucky?

Same here, 4 year old and new pup both have been fed in their crate, never any problems :D

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
When we brought Finn home (from living at a dog trainers with another 20 dogs) he used to pick his bowl up and carry it to his crate....he soon learned the food in his bowl really was his for keeps!!

We've not had puppies from very young but I would think that it might be hard to break them from sleeping close to you - it's ok if you always want them in your bedroom but if your end game is to have them downstairs, I would personally start with downstairs.....helps to make pup cope on their own for a few hours too.

Can't wait to see his pics :luv: :luv: