Author Topic: 1st time in kennels approaching fast - feeling nervous!  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
1st time in kennels approaching fast - feeling nervous!
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:14:09 PM »
We are away on our hols next Wednesday and Odie (9 months) is being kenneled for the first time :'(  I'm really nervous about how he will react as he is such a mammy's boy :luv:  He has my attention 24/7 and I call him 'velcro pup' cos I can't go anywhere without him :shades:  I've visited the kennels and the staff seem lovely but as the time comes nearer, I'm feeling guilty about leaving him :'( 

I had a very kind offer from another COL'er to look after him but I needed him to have this experience so he's familiar with kennels for the next holiday we have. 

How did you all react when you had to leave your dogs for the first time?  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: 1st time in kennels approaching fast - feeling nervous!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »
It's so hard, I have a really nice dog sitter that mine go to and Dave is no problem, not sure he even notices he's not with us ::) but Normy gets very stressed by it and seems to be getting worse as she gets older :-\ I picked her up a couple of days ago after a week as we're having a lot of work done here at the moment and I can manage Dave without a secure garden but not the two of them and kids :013: She really didn't want me to leave her there and was very clingy then when I collected her she cried continually for about half an hour and barked and barked and stuck to me like velcro, the dog sitter was really embarrassed and kept saying 'I promise we haven't been beating her up all week' ph34r - it's nice to be wanted but pretty upsetting! She gets to sleep by an Aga in their kitchen and runs with other a load of other dogs all day and is walked in woods - they are also a really really lovely couple and own and work their own dogs so it couldn't be any better but it still upsets her just because that's the way she is unfortunately but it's just not practical to never put her with a dog sitter.

Having said that she's a very stressy dog and worries about a lot so I think is pretty unusual and I'm sure Odie will be fine... just like Dave, cockers have a way of getting attention and cuddles of anyone they fancy so I'm sure he'll be ok :luv: :luv: 

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »
Have to admit both Roly and Misha did a a few hours in kennels as soon as their vaccinations allowed and because they were puppies they got thoroughly spoilt, so have always loved going to kennels.  I needed them to be ok with kennels quite early on as occassionally I need to travel for work.  That said they've never been in kennels for any longer than 3 days.  

Have to admit when I left Misha for the first time at the grand old age of 11 weeks I did have to stifle a tear or two, but she was home a couple of hours later and we just built the time up gradually.  Now when I drop them off I can just open the car door and they all go running in (but they are also very glad to come home too).  All the same I hate leaving them as they are all with me all the time and I can never wait to go and pick them up.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »
Thanks guys :luv:  It makes me feel like I'm not being too silly and worrying too much over him.  My mam was supposed to be looking after him but she had a foot operation and isn't able to do it so I had to book him in, I would have preferred to ease him in gently by booking a night or 2 first but the kennels are very popular and it was late July/August so no go.  I'll just have to be brave ph34r
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 04:37:47 PM »
I'm sure Odie will be fine, but completely understand why you're so worried. Try not to worry about him too much and enjoy your holiday  ;)
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »
I am sure Odie will be ok, but I know how you feel, but if you ever fancy house swapping and dog swapping come to the Alps.

Have a wonderful time am sure Odie will.x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »
I am sure Odie will be ok, but I know how you feel, but if you ever fancy house swapping and dog swapping come to the Alps.

Have a wonderful time am sure Odie will.x

That would be brill but I suspect you would get the bum end of that deal - I live in Barnsley :005: :shades:

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »
No experience of kennels I'm afraid but I'm sure Odie will be fine :luv:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 06:06:52 PM »
Dont worry he will be absoloutely fine. We worried about Alfie on his first time as he is also very clingy but the kennel staff said he was great. He was obviously very please to see us, but then the next time he was happy enough to run into the kennel on his own. Saying this, he does have Meg with him when he goes but she isnt much company for him anyway ph34r :005:.
Meg has also been in kennels since she was young and it really does her no harm at all. Its good for them and you to have some space for a while as you appreciate each other more when you get back ;).
You could put them in a 5* dog hotel and they wouldnt know the difference, so long as they're getting warmth, food, water and exercise they can and will cope until you get home :luv: :D xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 06:12:03 PM »
Thanks everyone :luv:  I know it's silly to worry ::) he'll be well looked after and will have 2 walks a day in their enclosed fields/woods.  I'm just going to have to TRY and enjoy my hols in Cyprus (where it's 33 degrees atm :shades: :005:).  Cheers!  Lesley x

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 06:50:50 AM »
A guy at work had to use kennels when he went away. His dog came home absoutely fine and the staff reported no problems but he still brought him a huge bone to chew on the way home  :lol2:

Hes recently gone away again and was very hurt to see his dog excited at the prospect of more time in kennels and charged in at top speed.  :005:

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 09:16:39 AM »
Thanks everyone :luv:  I know it's silly to worry ::) he'll be well looked after and will have 2 walks a day in their enclosed fields/woods.  I'm just going to have to TRY and enjoy my hols in Cyprus (where it's 33 degrees atm :shades: :005:).  Cheers!  Lesley x

Were abouts in Cypress are you going? we were looking to go there in November, but have never been so dont really know which part to go to? Lynn x

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
Not much experience I am afraid...we took up camping and the dogs came with us...I am sure he will be fine , he might even find the experience stimulating and exciting....
Unlike sitting in a wet tent in a Scottish glen.........

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 09:47:09 AM »
That's the fun of camping :005:  We camp as well and Odie enjoyed his first experience earlier this year but it's certainly not a relaxing break with one pup and 2 exuberant young children!  I'm hoping to recharge my batteries a bit :shades: 

It would be nice if Odie became used to kennels as it's useful for future events or holidays etc.  Lesley  :D

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »
Lynn - have pm'd you re. Cyprus!  Lesley  :D