Author Topic: Tips needed Jasper wont settle at night  (Read 3885 times)

Offline mooching

Re: Tips needed Jasper wont settle at night
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »
I hear what your saying and it's the same here . He will try anything to sleep on one of us.
Then he needs to learn "no"/"bed"/"away".

Alfie would have been on our laps every night on the settee if we'd let him, but he had to learn to kip on his own.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 11:00:28 PM »
Don't get stressed about it, everyone has different methods and you really have to do whats best for you and what you fell comfortable with otherwise he will pick up on your insecurities. Its very early days and some pups will take a lot longer than others to be fully toilet trained regardless how you train then i.e crate or paper or regular trips outside of a combination of all 3. And some are very quick to settle at night others aren't regardless just search for sleepless nights on the puppy board :005:
I have 2 Cockers Belle 18mths and Monty 8 mths and I don't use a crate never had them with any of our dogs when I was growing up or ith our 1st dog so not something I was dead keen on, Belle was used to being crated as the breeder crated the pups and mum, but she slept in our large kitchen (20ft by 11 ft) in her bed with a lamp and radio she settled within a week. They both sleep in our room at night now with no problems.
I hope you find a solution that works for you soon ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline mooching

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 12:04:10 AM »
My concern is that a pup that is always allowed to sleep on someone's lap could easily end up not able to settle anywhere on his own, whether in a crate or on a bed in the kitchen or wherever. If the intention is to have the pup/dog with you 24/7, then that's fine, but if you're wanting the pup to be able to sleep on his own, or to be able to go out and leave him sometimes, then they need to be encouraged and enabled to settle on their own sometimes.

Offline deane9050

• haaa heaven
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »
What size crate do u think I need . He's only a titch our cat is bigger . We are going to see how he is tonight . I'm hoping that if I go for a crate we won't be taking a step backwards with potty training
try a 36" with a seperater to make it smaller.our boys are 9 weeks and there settled within a couple of days albe it we have two they have there last meal at 7-7.30 and there cry for toilet at about 4ish so may increase time to 8 but yours should still be on 4 meals a day try that .have faith it will work out trust the owners on col there know there stuff.

Offline Manchester_Spaniel

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2010, 10:10:04 AM »
Hey hows it going?

Crate size, we got a 24" to start with as we didnt want to use it forever more, just while he is settling - also we gave him the kitchen as well when he is on his own. 24" is fine for now with your pup but a 36" (with seperator) is your wisest investment.

Also remember the little guy is only 9 weeks, he will take some time to be clean through the night so dont fret! Also this is advice on here not instructions so go with how you want to raise your pup. I do agree with mooching that there is a real importance to encouraging your pup to enjoy their own time but I am sure you will find a balance.

Your doing great and enjoy! 

Offline deane9050

• haaa heaven
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »
Hey hows it going?

Crate size, we got a 24" to start with as we didnt want to use it forever more, just while he is settling - also we gave him the kitchen as well when he is on his own. 24" is fine for now with your pup but a 36" (with seperator) is your wisest investment.

Also remember the little guy is only 9 weeks, he will take some time to be clean through the night so dont fret! Also this is advice on here not instructions so go with how you want to raise your pup. I do agree with mooching that there is a real importance to encouraging your pup to enjoy their own time but I am sure you will find a balance.

Your doing great and enjoy! 
if the crate is small no room other than to stretch out and sleep he s less likely to mess and rather cry to go out .we made a divider for our two and enough room to snuggle and they were crying to go out at 8 wks so dont despair.

Offline Dubby

• Jasper
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 08:00:49 PM »
Hi

Thanks for all the helpful tips and advice its good to have it to hand for someone who's just starting out with a new pup. Jasper went to bed last night at 11 pm and woke about twelve crying, we ignored him as best we could for about an hour but my wife couldn't sleep so came downstairs, jasper was put in front room where he went straight of to sleep in his own bed until 6 am with my wife on the sofa. He stayed in his bed with no puddles in the morning. We are now going to look at our options as he still young and obviously missing company. We've cut down on the amount of cuddles on the sofa he gets and is now starting to play with his toys on floor. Potty training is going ok with only the occasional mis directed wee on the pads. We have also started leaving him in the kitchen while we go out, only for short periods at the moment, gonna try the 5 10 15 minute training too. Thanks again for all the help from the more experienced members and i will certainly be glued to this forum for a while yet ;)

Jaspers Dad

Offline mooching

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »
Jasper went to bed last night at 11 pm and woke about twelve crying, we ignored him as best we could for about an hour but my wife couldn't sleep so came downstairs, jasper was put in front room where he went straight of to sleep in his own bed until 6 am with my wife on the sofa.
If that was me, I'd have let him out for a wee as soon as he cried, but would then put him back to bed and be "boring", ie pay no attention to him whatsoever until he settled again.

Sorry to be mentioning a crate again, but I've found it easier to do this with a crate, since when you put them back to bed in a crate, and cover it over with a blanket, they can't see you going back upstairs. When Alfie was younger, I'd put him back in his crate, stick around for 5-10 minutes nearby, then creep back up to bed.

Offline Dubby

• Jasper
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 09:34:45 PM »
Im gonna try again tonight i might even try with light out. Im seriously considering getting a crate and see what happens. We have tried to calm him down before when he has cried but as soon as your back in bed about to nod off he starts again. >:D

Offline deane9050

• haaa heaven
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
Im gonna try again tonight i might even try with light out. Im seriously considering getting a crate and see what happens. We have tried to calm him down before when he has cried but as soon as your back in bed about to nod off he starts again. >:D
hi dubby do you feel   guilt about the crate thing ,you should not worry the dogs like there own confined space,its a little den for them and they feel more secure or he will, wants he gets used to it HAVE FAITH!

Offline Dubby

• Jasper
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »
I wouldn't say guilt . I'm hoping he will like it . He is changing everyday . He's constantly running up and down nipping at everything in his way including my feet. Hopefully he will learn not to as he gets older.

Last night was same as couple before . Cry a lot for a long time move to lounge with wife and out like a light till this morning . During the day though he will get in his bed and sleep alone no problem he even gets in without any encouragement . He's either still missing his mum and siblings or he don't like being alone. The crate idea is just a test to see how he gets on with it .

Offline mooching

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 12:28:28 AM »
He's constantly running up and down nipping at everything in his way including my feet. Hopefully he will learn not to as he gets older.

What I found worked was distracting him by giving things he *could* nip/chew instead. Most handy were old knotted teatowels - we kept them draped in various locations downstairs so that one would be readily on hand if needed.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 07:33:49 AM »
He's constantly running up and down nipping at everything in his way including my feet. Hopefully he will learn not to as he gets older.

What I found worked was distracting him by giving things he *could* nip/chew instead. Most handy were old knotted teatowels - we kept them draped in various locations downstairs so that one would be readily on hand if needed.

Yes it helps by sticking something else in their mouth when they're doing this  :lol2:

Offline mattys mum

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »
Hi

We got Matty as a rescue who although approx 1yr old when we got him, had been kennelled all of his life (no sunlight).  he was awful at night and I remember coming onto COL for advise as I had become sleep deprived. 

We tried shutting him in the kitchen at night he howled all night and scratched the door.  we tried shutting him in a darker smaller room same result.  We borrowed a cage - he was petrified and wouldnt go into the same room as the cage.  in the end we decided to shut the door rooms we didnt want him to go into and open the doors to the rooms we were happy for him to go into - kitchen, study, sons room.  We didnt want him in our room for many reasons.  we live in a bungalow.  Guess what dog fine!!!! At first he would sleep on my sons floor and graduallly as he has become more confident he became less reliant on us at night. We had to lern not to feed his need for attention at bed time though.  we have had him 5 months and he sleeps in the study where his basket is no probs.

The point is - try what you think you will be happy with and give it a few days and eventually you will find what works for you.  I am sure as a pup he just needs someones company ideally your wife, but he has to learn that at sleeping time he cant have it - so your wife has to be strong - I only got to 'strong' because I needed sleep after 5 weeks of trying different methods.

good luck - you will find what works for you eventually