Author Topic: Hydrotherapy  (Read 1647 times)

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
Re: Hydrotherapy
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
Bella is the same as Sweep she loves paddling and will go in so long as she can feel the floor. She chased some seagulls into the sea once and the tide was in so it was well deep and she went right under with a big splosh. It was the funniest thing I have seen in my life but its made her more wary. I wonder if its just a case of getting their confidence and then they will be ok with it.

Sophie I am with the Kennel Club for insurance.

Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Hydrotherapy
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 09:12:12 PM »
It is just a confidence thing Sharon - Maggie had always refused point blank to go into any water before I took her to hydrotherapy after her elbow op. First week was a little trying for her... but I would say after 3rd/4th session she couldnt wait to get in there.  Its been great for her, and as they think she has cruciate issues as well its a great way for her to get the exercise she needs to build up surrounding/supporting muscles.  A good hydro place will have someone in the water with your dog so they are able to make sure they are swimming correctly and not favouring any particular leg etc... Maggie does half and half swimming in the pool and walking on a water submerged treadmill, loves them both  :luv:

Hope Bella and Sweep both come to enjoy it as much as Maggie -its so good for them  :luv:

Lisa x
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline woodlander

Re: Hydrotherapy - UPDATE
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 09:47:23 AM »
Well we went for our first session on monday evening and I think it went very well.

The ladies were very kind and one of them went into the pool with Sweep to assist. Sweep was fitted with a  buoyancy aid as it was her first time.  She swam for a short period of time about 7 -10mins with breaks in between.

She looked a bit shocked at first but didn't panic and I think quite enjoyed it at the end.  I think the worst thing for Sweep was that she couldn't touch the bottom of the pool - she felt out of her depth.  The trainer said that this was quite normal but they do get used to it.

The session was finished off with a shower and shampoo and dry.  We were advised to take Sweep's coat with us for after so she didn't catch a chill.

Going back again in 3 weeks for another session.