Author Topic: Puppy Rage!  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Chris_J

Puppy Rage!
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:29:06 AM »
Hello all.

Since we got Cassie at 10 weeks old, when she was out playing in the front garden (and sometimes even inside), she would occasionally have a bit of a 'mad' spell where she would run around the whole perimeter of the garden at full bore, crashing into things and jumping head first into the bushes.

She still does this now, particularly after a long walk. However, she now growls constantly when she is doing it and sometimes comes up to me to nip my trouser legs. I could almost say she was being slightly aggressive.

I'm wondering whether anybody else gets this, or something similar with their pup? If she is just playing and getting a little over excited, then that's fine. But could this possibly be a bit of rage that I need to train out of her before she nips other people?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Puppy Rage!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:46:38 AM »
It's perfectly normal ;)

Generally known as 'the wall of death' :005:

Rage is an extremely rare and very serious condition that you wouldn't be able to 'train' your dog out of. The attacks are generally very unpredictable and the dog behaves in a very strange way - what your pup is doing is just normal puppy/cocker stuff so try not to worry ;)

What I would do when she gets a bit over the top and nippy/growly is walk away and leave her to calm down.. or guide her into a smaller area (maybe with a long line so you don't have to get your hands near which she could see as threatening) and leave her to settle and relax. She will grow out of it but I have had one pup that was prone to being very aggressive when he got wound up and he took nearly a year to grow out of it. I dealt with it by quietly leading him into his 'space' (a small kitchen with a baby gate and his crate in there) and giving him a bit of time out every time. It worked well and he's a very sweet dog now :luv: He couldn't handle confrontation at all, even saying 'no' to him at that age was too much for him and he'd attack as it worried him too much.. showing him that none of us would ever hurt him and that of he wanted to be with us not in his 'space' he had to play nicely, over a period of time, let him learn to trust us and he's great now (even with my small children) :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:47:35 AM »
My Poppy used to do this  :005: it was something that she never grew out of I loved to see her doing it she made me laugh, I think it's just something that cockers do.  As for the little nip at your trousers it maybe her way of saying come on dad play with me? or it might be something that you will have to nip in the bud now, at the moment everything is a game to her so just enjoy her x x x  :luv: :luv:

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:20:43 AM »
My 3 year Alf still does this - we call it the greyhound run!!!! 

Certainly correct the nipping with a firm 'ah ah ah' but it almost certainly sounds like excitment :005:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:27:33 AM »
Millie still does this and she's four and a half  :005: :005:. We call it buts on fire as she tucks her bum underneath her as she whizzes around  :lol2:.

Millie

Offline Chris_J

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »
Well I'm glad she's only playing! It does make me laugh when she's doing it, but it had the missus a bit worried, which made me think twice!

As mentioned, I normally just stand and ignore her, with my head raised until she calms down - let her burn herself out. I think the missus has been telling her "No" which makes her start barking.

Sounds like we need a bit of consistency between us!

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
We call it 'throwing a wobbler'  :005: Hollys just over 1yrs & does it usually once a day  :blink:

Offline Fudgeley

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »
Commonly known as the bum tuck zoomies......Our collie cross of five years does this almost on command! It is a great game and if they get slightly over excited just walk away so that the nipping cannot take place....I love it when Fudge does this......it normally happens after a vigorous towel rub down after a wet and muddy walk! :005: :005: :005:

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:04:30 AM »
ella my 4 1/2 year old girly still does the wall of death now esp after shes had a bath, i have to say i do encourage her, as its so funny  :005:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »
Wall of death here too... normally after a walk out in either the rain or wind which whoops her up outside and just continues inside. Maggie's 2 in January and I love it when she does it, tho when she did it and some friends were over they did think she'd gone rabid I think, wild eyed, growling and barking at nothing whizzin round at 50mph  :005:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:31:38 AM »
< amused at the immense number of 'generally' accepted titles of this canine phenomena!  :005:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »
< amused at the immense number of 'generally' accepted titles of this canine phenomena!  :005:

:005: I really love 'Zoomies' as well :lol2:

My two dogs (a big Weimaraner that will be 7yrs in Feb and a 3.5 yr old cocker) both regularly indulge in this sport although outside only as the Weim would probably bring the house down if she did it inside :o Both dogs like to incorporate a few jumps in their circuits also, Dave (cocker) is generally just low bushes but Normy (Weimaraner) also likes to use a 6ft terrace wall and the odd child, because then she can out do the cocker... I've learnt not to watch  ::) :dunno: :fear2: Dave barks his head off when he's doing his but Normy focus's on what she's doing fortunately :lol:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline mooching

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 12:43:56 PM »
As mentioned, I normally just stand and ignore her, with my head raised until she calms down - let her burn herself out. I think the missus has been telling her "No" which makes her start barking.

If you and your wife are concerned about the nipping, I'd suggest, instead of saying "No", you offer her a knotted rope toy or (our favourite) an old knotted tea towel which she can grab and shake and run off with, rather than her nipping you.

My miniature poodle used to do it, my Cavi used to do it, and Alfie my cocker cross does it with bells on - he is by far the most enthusiastic, energetic and frequent about it, and has done it twice already today! (We call it "doing a train")

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 12:48:30 PM »
My ten year old Lab does this, she just takes off hurtles over the ornamental wheelbarrow and goes round and round in circles like a maniac, then jumps back over the wall onto the patio area :lol2: We call it buckarooing  :005:

When she tries to do it indoors we just shout no, she stops gives us a dirty look and slinks away :005:
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline black taz

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
Two more here!  my lab bounces from one sofa to the other with taz chasing her in between.

Taz adds another element to it when he has finished the "wall of death" - he tried to dig the carpet :005: