Author Topic: Your opinions on adding 2nd dog please - girl or boy ?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline roxybaby

• my baby girl
Your opinions on adding 2nd dog please - girl or boy ?
« on: November 14, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »
i am increasingly convincing my husband to think about getting another cocker during the new year, i would like to get another girl but on a recent visit to the vets she suggested we get a male as 2 girls wont get on, would just like other opinions thanks  :luv: :luv: :D

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Your opinions on adding 2nd dog please - girl or boy ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »
I had 2 cocker girls with no problems, thou adding a lunatic lab puppy into the equation makes life 'interesting' at times  :005:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
the vets she suggested we get a male as 2 girls wont get on

::)  ::)

We have 4 bitches and they all get on just fine  :blink:
Personally i think its got nothing to do with what sex they are its all today with how they are brought up  :blink:

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 06:00:57 PM »
I have the boy girl combination and they get on brilliantly. Dexter (my first) always much prefered playing with and interacting bitches.

Ive heards of girl girl combinations going wrong but many many more that do work out.

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »
I have girl/girl.....girl/boy......then girl/boy/boy...................it's the boys that cause all the trouble........but they are worth it :luv:

I think if you manage all the first interractions in a neutral manner and be prepared for them not to always instantly bond, you will be fine.  Personality plays far more into the mix than what sex they are for the most part ;)

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 06:07:55 PM »
I've only had bitches together both spayed and entire and never had a problem. Yes they've had spats but its always been handbags and nothing that I could attribute to being gender related.  :D
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 06:12:20 PM »
I have one of each and they regularly spend time with dogs of both sexes, I think it is much the same as people some of us get along and some dont, regardless of sex and it is really up to you which you would prefer. Good luck whatever you decide and I cant wait to see pics of your dogs together
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »
Well we have 6 girls and 5 boys of which 2 of the boys are entire and they all get on fine the majority of the time. I think it has to do with how they're bought up and individual characters a bit like people really. Some people don't get on with others, but others fine. My gold girls who are also from the same litter, which is also meant to be a no no are the best of friends and are always playing together and although Tally my entire male didn't like my new entire male initially that was mainly down to jealousy nothing else and now they're great pals and Tally is Dru's Idol. Even though I do have 2 from the same litter I actually wouldn't recommend that as I've been lucky and it has been hard work, but I think it depends or your circumstances really.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 06:27:49 PM »
I think the boy/girl combination is the most likely to work, so the safest option in terms of percentages. That's not to say that 2 of the same sex won't get on, particularly if there's a decent age gap between them - my two girls get on brilliantly and have never had anything approaching a cross word with each other. As Black Red & Yellow says though you have to be prepared for a settling in period ( regardless of sex) - it can take time for 2 dogs to feel fully comfortable living with each other.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 06:40:17 PM »
We started off with a girl Misha, and then added a boy Roly 6 months later.  Initially Misha was a real thug to her brother, but he had the last laugh as he's almost twice her size now.  A year later added another adult girl Lexi and 6 months after that another adult girl Ellie.

Roly is an entire boy and he gets on really well with all the girls and the girls adore him.  Lexi does cause a bit of tension - she does like to wind everyone up, but on the whole the girls all get on fine.  Recently had a foster dog come to stay with us and all the dogs accepted her very easily, though I think she struggled a little with my lot as she had been an only dog.

We also had a 12 week old cocker puppy stay with us for a couple of days and Roly was a real star and really looked after him. The girls were less tolerant and whilst they didn't mind playing with the puppy they did tell him off quite sharply.

I think if I had the choice I would get another boy.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline grracee

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »
I've not had girl dogs before, just boys. I had my male lab first and then 7 years after I got Charlie, my male cocker spaniel. First of all my lab was jealous of Charlie but was never nasty towards him, just completely ignored him. Now they get on like a house on fire! :luv:

Offline roxybaby

• my baby girl
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 07:01:43 PM »
thanks guys just value opinions from people with experience, only ever had boys growing up so having a girl full stop is different but thanks   :luv: ;)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »
Generally speaking i don't think it matters which mix of sexes you have.  :D 

We had Alfie for over a year before we got our 1st girl Jo Jo....sadly he couldn't abide her for the 1st year or so :'(  then as the months & years went by, both of their feelings changed & now they absolutely adore each other   :luv: :luv:  Alfie is now nearly 7 & Jo Jo is 5.5 years old.  Next into the gang came Nina who is nearly 3.5 years old....her & Jo Jo get along fine & Alfie accepts her as one of the pack.  So far then 2 girls & 1 boy.....then just over a month ago we had another addition.....a black puppy, Georgia, which of course has changed the dynamics again.  Alfie, Jo Jo & Nina have all accepted her straight into their group  :luv:  I won't pretend that everything is perfect all the time & there can be a little upset each time a new dog is added but a lot depends on being aware of any potential conflict before it happens & dealing with it (in hopefully) a positive way.  ;)
e.g Nina does guard toys/high value food so we only allow toys with Georgia when she is either in the puppy pen or if Nina is in a seperate room etc....apart from that though things seem pretty cool atm  :luv: :D

I know a few COL'ers that have 2 or more girls so if you & your family are 100% committed to having another dog for the whole of his/her's life & accepting that it may not be all 'hunky dory' between both dogs (although they might be best buddies from day 1) & if you would prefer to have another girl imo i would go for it.  :D  Let us know what you decide.  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
1 male springer and 3 cocker girls here and no problems at all. Caoimhe the youngest just joined us 6 weeks ago at nearly 6 months old. Murron and Breagh accepted her no problem.

I have spoken to other people with 2 or more bitches and it has not worked out for them. I think a lot depends on your own dogs character/personality.

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »
We have 5 girls and a boy they all get on great most of the time. I did have a few problems last year with one but thankfully she has settled done now ...it was basically down to the fact she is very spoilt and she see's me as 'hers'.

Good luck with your decision its often the dog that chooses you when you visit a litter re guardless of sex  :005: :luv: Many years ago I was definitely going for a little girl and ended up with Bracken my wonderful golden retriever that sadly died this yr...but he chose me and it was so the right decision  :luv: