Author Topic: Nacho sleeping habits (or lack of!!!)  (Read 4964 times)

Offline mooching

Re: Nacho sleeping habits (or lack of!!!)
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »
Just one other thought - what bedding does he have in his crate, and is it covered up overnight? I found from quite early on that Alfie slept better with an extra fleecy blanket that I only put in his crate at bedtime (and then remove first thing the next day). He gets really excited when I get it out, bless him!

Offline mooching

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 11:05:56 PM »
We are also stopping sleeping on the settee with us now between evening meal and bed time. I wouldn't be surprised if he has slept all he needs too by the time bedtime arrives which is why he is so unsettled.
What time does he go out for his evening walk? Is that before or after your evening meal?
What do your dogs do in the evening when the family have relax time? Do they just curl up in a ball somewhere and sleep like mine? Or are they occupied right up until bed which makes them absolutely knackered?
Alf has his tea at 4pm, then comes outside with me while I feed and clean out the rabbits, then shut the chickens away for the night.

He often has a nap in his crate (his choice) after that, then mooches around waiting for his walk at around 7pm. When he comes in from his walk, he has a little biscuit, plays for a while, then settles down in his bed in the lounge while we are watching TV. He then dozes, plays, dozes etc until he goes outside for his final wee at around 11pm then he belts back to his crate, jumping up at it to show me that he wants his special blanket. :luv: I also then cover the crate completely, so that it's really snug. He then sleeps till earliest 8.00am, latest (if we're not up) 10.00am.

Offline jessandme

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 12:50:58 AM »
I was thinking about your problem this evening.  It does sound as if your little lad has maybe just got used to waking regularly through the night.  He probably doesn't really need a wee, but just feels like a bit of company, and of course who can blame him for that.  So if it is a habit, then to break the habit, change something - ideally something quite significant.  How about moving his crate?  Maybe up to your room?

We moved Jess's crate up to our room, and it really helped.  If she stirred and started to squeak, I was right there and often just a word to her was enough, sleepytime now Jess, and she went back to sleep.   And one thing that I know someone else has already mentioned, covering the crate helped us as well.  I put a wool shawl over the crate, left the end with the door clear.  Jess definitely likes it better.

You asked what do our dogs do in the evening - Jess sleeps, basically.  She'll be awake and interested if anything is going on - visitors, cooking, eating - otherwise she'll be dozing on the sofa or in her downstairs crate.  She's ready to go to sleep for the night by 9, but I do wake her and take her out for a last wee before we go up to bed.

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 07:26:54 AM »
He had a good night in fairness last night. Put him to bed at 10.30pm and he slept till 5am which was work time anyway! Only difference being that we left the heating on all night so the room was lovely and toasty.

My only real concern was that he started to dry heave. He didn't bring up anything but just looked uncomfortable.

We'll have to see how the next few days are with the heating to see if that's the problem with the waking. I am at a loss at the sickness though :(  not good :(

Offline mooching

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »
My only real concern was that he started to dry heave. He didn't bring up anything but just looked uncomfortable.

I'd suggest you give the vet a call and let them know. Did the vet say what he thought had caused the swollen lymph nodes?

Glad you had a much better night. :D

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »
Spoke to the vet. He's going back tomorrow.

Not overly worried. He isn't in pain or discomfort, he just have a funny 5 minutes. The vet did mention when he was last worked which is 2 weeks overdue due to his operation. Can a bout of worms cause heaving like this? I do notice that he gently nips his bum chops on occasion but I put that down to basic scratching!

Offline mooching

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 09:10:41 PM »
Not overly worried. He isn't in pain or discomfort, he just have a funny 5 minutes. The vet did mention when he was last worked which is 2 weeks overdue due to his operation. Can a bout of worms cause heaving like this? I do notice that he gently nips his bum chops on occasion but I put that down to basic scratching!

When did you last worm him and with what?

If he's nibbling his bottom, could be that he has anal gland problems. It's worth mentioning it to the vet tomorrow.

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 11:14:08 PM »
Between birth and 12 weeks he was given Shelly's Worming syrup by the breeder. When we got him to the vet on 14 weeks he had Milbelax or something similarly named. He hasn't been wormed since due to his operation.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
He had a good night in fairness last night. Put him to bed at 10.30pm and he slept till 5am which was work time anyway! Only difference being that we left the heating on all night so the room was lovely and toasty.

We'll have to see how the next few days are with the heating to see if that's the problem with the waking. I am at a loss at the sickness though :(  not good :(

Indie dry heaves in the morning if she is hungry, I give both of mine fish biscuits when they go to bed as its a long time from tea time until breakfast time - hoping that its as simple as that and nothing to worry about.    

With regards to the food, I don't weigh my pups food out as the guidelines are on the packet are just that, like Bracken said if he looks like hes still hungry after a meal then just add slightly more, you'll soon get to know how much he needs per day.    Quinn is 5 months old and was over 10kg a couple of weeks ago.     They all vary on size so you cannot compare how much food one pup needs to another even though they are the same breed and age IYSWIM.    

Good luck at the vets tomorrow.    :D  

Offline mooching

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 12:46:39 AM »
Between birth and 12 weeks he was given Shelly's Worming syrup by the breeder. When we got him to the vet on 14 weeks he had Milbelax or something similarly named. He hasn't been wormed since due to his operation.

Millbemax would have covered him for a month, perhaps a bit more.

Offline mooching

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 12:53:42 AM »
With regards to the food, I don't weigh my pups food out as the guidelines are on the packet are just that, like Bracken said if he looks like hes still hungry after a meal then just add slightly more, you'll soon get to know how much he needs per day. 
I fed Alfie like that for a while and he put on too much weight. He's just extremely food-oriented, so for him I do need to measure it out.
Otherwise he would just eat and eat, he's a real piggy!

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 07:53:42 AM »
Ok at least the worming thing isn't that much of an issue and it is a relief to hear about your pup too Jeanette - maybe that was the cause? He hasn't had any issues since at all, isn't off his food and is cooking up some cracking little poops so I'm not overly bothered.

Can happily report too that for a second night in a row he hasn't woken me up at all. 10.30pm till 5.30am then 11.00pm till 06.10am. Unheard of! - the only difference? Leaving the heating on!  :lol:

Offline mooching

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 11:29:02 AM »
Can happily report too that for a second night in a row he hasn't woken me up at all. 10.30pm till 5.30am then 11.00pm till 06.10am. Unheard of! - the only difference? Leaving the heating on!  :lol:

That's great! I did wonder if he'd like a bit of extra warmth. What does he have in his crate?

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »
He sleeps on this large soft cushion that he easily fits on. That then has a fleece blanket on the top for extra warmth. The room he sleeps in is very crayfish mind so when the heating is off it isn't surprising he gets the shivers. Going to cost me a fortune in bills for the heating but you can't put a price on a lie-in !!!

Offline mooching

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 04:52:52 PM »
Do you cover his crate at night? Alfie's is covered over completely and it makes it really snug.