Author Topic: Nacho sleeping habits (or lack of!!!)  (Read 4991 times)

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
Re: Nacho sleeping habits (or lack of!!!)
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
Did you every try the "dummy" (page 1 ).   I'm sure it's worth a try & the puppy has a toy to chew on, that he can't distroy,  in the cage if he wants it.    Julie
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »
Yeah, he has a number of indestructible chew toys which he'll play with throughout the day. When you put the lock on the crate though, he ignores what toys he has and just goes barmy!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2010, 02:27:49 PM »
My pup has slept upstairs since she arrived at 14 weeks she has never been to the toilet during the night...and I do carry them up and down the stairs even now and she is 7 months  :blink:
Her last food is 4.30 and she has no water as there is none in my room to drink.
I really hope you guys manage to get a good nights sleep soon  :luv:

Offline mooching

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 03:00:53 PM »
Yeah, he has a number of indestructible chew toys which he'll play with throughout the day. When you put the lock on the crate though, he ignores what toys he has and just goes barmy!

Could I just ask what you originally did to introduce him to the crate, and get him used to it? It might be an idea to start the process all over again.

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »
He has basically been put in the crate of an evening and left to his own devices. When he cries I let him out for a wee but then he quickly gets put back in the crate.

During the day I sometimes put him in the crate for some downtime which he seems to like because if we are in the room, he'll sleep. If we go to leave the room though he goes mad as if we aren't coming back.

Offline mooching

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
He has basically been put in the crate of an evening and left to his own devices. When he cries I let him out for a wee but then he quickly gets put back in the crate.

During the day I sometimes put him in the crate for some downtime which he seems to like because if we are in the room, he'll sleep. If we go to leave the room though he goes mad as if we aren't coming back.

Is that what you did originally to get him accustomed to and comfortable with (and loving) the crate? Is he put into the crate every evening, and for how long?

Offline millyann

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
Welsh_Wizard, we also had a pup crying downstairs in his crate all night and we successfully did the crate-to-bedroom-and then-push-crate slowly-out-of-the-door-routine. It took a few days to get him onto the landing and a few days more to shut the bedroom door on him completely. Like you, we were not keen to have the dog in the bedroom but it was only for a few days and at least we could sleep a bit. Having said that, he woke up for a wee once a night until he was about 6 months! But it was more tolerable than what you're going through right now!

Offline jessandme

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
Doing what you have suggested is literally the only thing we haven't tried now. We are both not fussed on the bedroom idea as as he seems to want attention, we just feel that he'll still whine but in the bedroom instead. However, another night of no sleep. Up at 2am and no settling despite every suggested remedy means that I'll try anything once!

Did you find that wee's and poops happened as usual when Jess was in your room? We have varnished floorboards in our bedroom which isn't likely to accept either too well! Did you just carry her downstairs and out the back?

This is why we moved the crate - she was waking several times in the night and refusing to settle after being taken out for a wee. I was getting very short of sleep!

She's always quite liked the crate - we did all the things about making it a good place to be - giving her all her meals in there, and putting treats in there for her to find.  But she just didn't want to be alone in it at night, she wanted to be with us.

When we first moved the crate upstairs, we carried on closing the crate door at bedtime just as we had been downstairs. So accidents weren't an issue.  (Jess is older now - 7 1/2 months - and will come and wake me if she needs out in the night, so I can leave the crate door open. )

When I went up to bed, Jess came up with me, I put her in the crate and she settled straight away when she saw I was not going anywhere.  My husband came up a bit later and I heard him talking to her as she had woken when he came up the stairs, she settled back to sleep again right away.

She did wake in the night a couple of times, at first - less than she had been when she was downstairs, definitely - but with crate upstairs it took just a word to her to see her settling back to sleep - unless she needed out, and I can tell when that's what she needs.  Then I took her downstairs and out the back door - put on a slip lead to avoid exciting night-time expeditions exploring the garden! - and after she was done, straight back upstairs, in the crate, shut the door, sleepytime Jess, then me back to bed and lights out.  She settled as she knew we were right there with her, I am sure.

Since then we've had exactly no trouble at all with her sleep habits.

I do sympathise with you over the lack of sleep, it is so awful, I remember it well!

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »
We took the plunge and put the crate upstairs last night and happy to report that between the hrs of 2300 and 0700 I didn't leave my warm bed once ha! Oh what a treat!

Nacho woke up a couple of times and whimpered but as soon as I gave him a reassuring word or two, he dozed back off. Great news for us and even the OH who was ultra-skeptic was very pleased (even though she didn't wake before anyways!)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »
Glad it went well - was a bit chilly for excursions to the garden last night - so glad you stayed tucked up warm.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 09:55:44 AM »
Well done Nacho!

Hope this is the first step along the way of sorting it all out  :D

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »
Fantastic news!  :clapping: well done nacho  :D

Offline mooching

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »
So glad you had a good night's sleep!

Offline jessandme

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 11:49:27 PM »
We took the plunge and put the crate upstairs last night and happy to report that between the hrs of 2300 and 0700 I didn't leave my warm bed once ha! Oh what a treat!

Nacho woke up a couple of times and whimpered but as soon as I gave him a reassuring word or two, he dozed back off. Great news for us and even the OH who was ultra-skeptic was very pleased (even though she didn't wake before anyways!)

Oh that is brilliant!   :clapping:   So glad it made the difference.  I haven't been on the forum for a few days, but wanted to see how you got on so this is the first thread I've checked - what excellent news!

Isn't it wonderful to get 8 hours (fairly) uninterrupted sleep, though.....   :003:

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2010, 07:59:20 AM »
Yeah we are both really chuffed. Day 3 of perfect sleep! He's got his toilet training sorted too so things are really good at the moment.