Author Topic: Hi - wee puppy has limp  (Read 1432 times)

Offline loopy

Hi - wee puppy has limp
« on: November 16, 2010, 07:08:38 PM »
Hi, I'm Loopy and have just found this website and forum. Hello all you cocker lovers. We got our working cocker on Saturday @ 9 weeks and she settled in pretty well, with virtually no crying when we left her. We had fun playing in the back yard and she started getting used to her name and sitting on 'hup'. But on Sunday afternoon I noticed a slight limp. Couldn't find any prob, legs felt the same, nothing between her toes, no cuts on her paws, and no wimpers or yelps.

The limp seemed to be worse when she just got up but she would run on it. Still, I was taking her to the vets today for her jabs and asked him about it. Before seeing her walk, he bent her paws and leg this way and that and pronounced that she was v flexible. Then he put her on the floor and now she just wouldn't even put the paw on the ground. She's hopping around barely using it. He's given me some anti-inflammatories and said if no improvement in five days she'll have to have an x-ray.

Of course, we're really worried. We are very upset about the poor wee thing, concerned that it will be more than strain and hoping we haven't been sold a lame dog (still I love her already and inspite of it  :'(). I guess we just have to wait for five days, limit her activity and hope for the best. Any tips or help from experienced owners very much appreciated.

Loopy

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
Re: Hi - wee puppy has limp
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 07:16:29 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL. No advice on the limp i'm afraid but i'm sorry that your little girl is suffering. Hope it will be nothing to worry about. Look forward to hearing more from you both. Lots of love and healing thoughts for your pup  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
Hi Loopy and welcome to COL. It's very addictive!

Congratulations on your new little addition and do hope she is on the mend soon. I don't have any tips sadly but am sure you did the right thing taking her to the vets and fingers crossed she'll be bouncing around again soon. Keep us posted on how you get on. xx

Offline loopy

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 08:50:19 PM »
Hi Danni, Freya and LottieLu
Thanks for your messages. Will keep you posted about wee Nessa and put some pics up soon.
Loopy  :shades:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 11:10:24 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL.

Sorry to hear that Nessa has a limp. One of my girls had one when she was about 14 weeks that the vet could'nt explain. She couldn't have anti-inflammatories as she also had an upset tummy  :-\ Anyway she had it for a few days and then the next it had disappeared  :huh: so hopefully Nessa will be the same. Fingers crossed it gets better soon  :luv:
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 08:29:36 PM »
Hi & welcome to COL

Im Liz from just outside Durham and am owned by 2 show cockers, Diesel 3 year old blue roan and Olli 2 year old blue roan & tan.

Sorry to hear little Nessa has a sore paw/leg and hope shes better soon  :bigarmhug: :luv:

Looking forward to seeing some pics

:luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline loopy

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 03:26:18 PM »
Hi Holly and Liz
Thanks for your kind msgs. Nessa's leg has improved a lot since Tues. Well Weds it went back to how it was before the vet man-handled it. However, someone came to the house today and commented on the limp right away. Just hope it keeps improving. Have also noticed that she holds the other (unlimping) front leg at a funny angle, like she's bow-legged/overflexes. But she is growing quickly...can notice a difference in a week...

Meantime our 3-y-o cat is not eating...well picking a bit more today, but yesterday would only eat out of my hand and very little.

Have a great weekend...

Lx

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »
Hi and Welcome.

Hope Nessa (love the name) continues to improve.

I'm Linz, owned by Murphy 7yo working cocker and Maddi 4yo show cocker.

Linz xx
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline ben and rosie

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06:07 PM »
Hi, sorry to hear about the wee one nessa- hopefully it will turn out to be nothing but I know you must be very anxious. silly little things seem to happen to dogs just like people- my eldest boy cocker, Ben, several months ago, came out of having a bath, ran down the stairs, slipped on the wooden floors and had banged into our heavy oak dining table- he then couldn't raise his tail and couldn't lie down properly- was really worried he had seriously damaged his hip/back leg- vet said he had damaged his tail, gave him anti inflammatories and he was fine....

I really hope that there is nothing serious with Nessa- keep us all informed-

Arlene, Ben and Rosie x

Offline loopy

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »
Hi there
Sorry it's taken me a while to give you all an update. Nessa got better within a week and has been keeping us on our toes. We started her on the lead around the garden during the snowy period, then she had her second jab and for the last week we have been increasing her walks. I'll ask more about that in the appropriate place.
Have to work out how/where to put a photo too.
Chat soon
Loopy  :lol2:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »
I'm glad her limp disappeared :D

As for walking, the general rule is 5 minutes for every month of their age. So at 3 months she should only have 15 minutes walking at a time, but you can do that 2 or 3 times a day and you can also do short training sessions to occupy her too.