Author Topic: Eaten an oxo cube!  (Read 16034 times)

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
Eaten an oxo cube!
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »
Ollie who is now 6 months old and will it literally anything, managed to eat an oxo cube at about 6pm last night.  This morning he did a normal firm poo.  We have just been for a walk (3pm) and he now has very watery yellow poos, do you think this could be caused by the oxo or something else?  Should I feed him tonight?  He is now on two meals a day. 

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
Re: Eaten an oxo cube!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »
What flavour was it?. Just looked at the ingredients, there is quite a lot of salt in it and although it contains onion extract I shouldn't think enough to do him any harm if he only ate one. Infact when I was a little girl our cocker used to have it in water on her biscuits and meat in the days before complete dog food and she lived until she was 15.

I would just give him some chicken/fish and rice if he has an upset tummy. He could drink more due to the salt in the cube.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline mooching

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Did he eat the foil as well or just the cube?

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »
i would have thought that as they contain alot of salt that perhaps it may make puppy thirsty but i always remember my dad used to put oxo in our dogs dinners sometimes to make it tasty, so im not so sure that its the cause of the diarrhea,..... and as Holly Berry says, maybe a little chicken and rice for dinner tonight..

good luck and hopefully all will be back to normal tomorrow  :bigarmhug:

Offline JilHal

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 04:59:24 PM »
Hi I'm not a vet but work in an emergency out of hrs vet and have all shapes and sizes of dogs coming in and eating a wide variety of things that they shouldn't especially chocolate over christmas, just like us humans I suppose  :005: We reguarly are on the phone to the poisions unit and if it is just one oxo cube then there should be no long term damage. So intial diarhoerra and vomiting as works its way out of dog and like everyone else said an increased thirst because of the salt but should soon be ok. A bland diet we recommend if been unwell is boiled chicken or rice and scrambled egg for 24hrs to settle stomach

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:20:49 AM »
Sorry to the delay in replying - we had a power cut last night.  Well Ollie had a meal of chicken and rice at about 5pm last night.  During the night he was sick and again a small amount this morning.  He is now sleeping and seems very lethargic, not his normal bouncy self.  He has had nothing to eat since the chicken and rice yesterday.  Our vet is not open until 3.30pm, think I'll take him along to make sure he is all right.  Probably the oxo cube has nothing to do with this.  Thank you all for your replies.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »
Hope he's feeling better soon.  :luv:

Is he keeping water down ok? Dehyradration can be a problem with D&V. Best to go to the vet if you're worried, to put you mind at rest.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »
id say a trip to the vets is the best idea.... :016:

is he drinking???? puppies can get very dehydrated very quickly

hope u get him sorted at the vets later lots of  :luv: and  :bigarmhug:

from lucy and ebony

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 12:25:54 PM »
ooops should have read holly berrys post first...i seem to have repeated it... :005:

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »
I would not have thought an OXO cube could cause him so much problem but maybe he has sensitive tum.  I would ring the vets to be on the safe side, if he does eat anything who knows what he has had on the sly  >:(
I have to be careful what I put out for the birds as mine think its an al fresco buffet!!!

They are such a worry aren't they, hope he improves soon.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 01:39:49 PM »
Thank you so much for all your good wishes.  He has been sick again in the last half hour (bile only).  He looks so sorry for himself with those sad eyes looking up at me.  Hopefully by tomorrow and our visit to the vets later he should be back to his old self.

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »
We've been to the vet's.  She thinks he's got some bug.  Poor Ollie had his temperature taken, an anti-inflammatory injection and been put on a course of antibiotics, and for the next three days is on three meals a day of chicken and rice but only two dessert spoons fulls at a time!  What he'll make of this I don't know, but hopefully he will soon be back to his mischievous self.

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »
bless him  :luv: I hope he's right as rain in no time

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »
Poor wee lamb.  It is amazing just how quick they bounce back after the jabs and tablets though.  Try not to worry too much.....and hide your Oxos!! :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 05:06:26 PM »
Hopefully he'll be back to his normal self soon. Don't be suprised if he takes a liking to chicken and rice and then when he goes back to his usual food, looks at you as if to say "what, you expect me to eat that?"

If he's not dairy intolerant, I always give my girls a dessert spoon of fat free probiotic yoghurt a day mixed in with their food, although they will also lick it off the spoon given half a chance. It seems to ward off tummy upsets, despite them scavenging the food that the kids have discarded on their way to and from school  >:D