Author Topic: help pepper chases my cat  (Read 567 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
help pepper chases my cat
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:18:26 AM »
can any one help me. Pepper is now 4 months. We introduced him to our cat as carefully as we could, but our cat runs when she sees him and he just barks and trys to chase her. I try playing with him, saying "sit" but nothing distracts him. Any ideas?

Offline mooching

Re: help pepper chases my cat
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:35:06 AM »
Does the cat have somewhere she can go to where Pepper can't get to her? That's very important.

Are there any particular occasions when Pepper chases her? We found that Alfie would chase Tabitha when she went to go outside, and would even try to rugby-tackle her. But we found that if we kept a jar of treats nearby, and then made him sit (for the first few times holding his collar), told him "Leave" *and* gave him a treat, he would let her go and not chase.

Are you clicker training Pepper at all? It would be good to teach him "Leave" as well as "Sit" (the clicker can really help reinforce this).

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
Re: help pepper chases my cat
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I have been working out how to reply again! Pepper has been a bit better since my last poat. The cat does have somewhere to go to, but the treating thing has really helped. I still keep him on the lead as he will try to chase the cat when she moves, but the cat is getting more confident and tends to stay still a lot more.