Author Topic: Worried about Dennis  (Read 12009 times)

Offline R&R

• Site Member
Re: Worried about Dennis
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »
Hope all goes well today xx

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
I hope all goes well at the Vets today for Dennis :luv: :bigarmhug:

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »
We are back from the vets  :'(

Things are as i expected really , things are getting worse , it is his spinal injury. He showed us a diagram and showed me what Dennis had had removed last time and explained that because that has been removed it can have a domino effect on the other discs. He thinks the the wetting himself ( sorry dont know how else to  put it ) could become more regular and the head shake is almost definatly related to the injury as his ears are clear. He did a couple of things with his legs and said he could see that it had gone downhill from the progress that was being made. He did say that he dosnt appear to be in any pain which is good. We were due to start hydrotherapy again next week at somewhere close to home but the vet said he didnt want him doing anything like that.

He is on anti-inflamtries (sp?) and goes back in a week. He said if i feel he is ANY worse to go straight back. He also said that it isnt at the stage where surgery would be needed but that in some cases it could quickly get that way. I did discuss that if it gets to the stage where surgery would be needed and that he was in pain that i wouldnt put him through that and he completely agreed with me. He did say that we have got it early and he hopes the anti-inflamatries would do something with a bit of crate rest and maybe it wouldnt get any worse but i dont think that seems like the likely outcome to be honest. Now i have to try to keep him calm which dosnt happen easily with Dennis , he gets that upset now in his crate he nearly does backflips which i dont think will help matter much.

So now i feel like its just a matter of time for my boy  :'( I do truly hope that im looking at the worst side of things.

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
Maria, I really don't know what to say  :'( :'( :'(
I hope you are looking at the worst possible scenario and that things work out a lot more positive for you and Dennis. All I can offer are huge  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and my sincerest apologies that you are going through this  :-*

Offline suemg

• Milo and Boo
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 11:59:51 AM »
I'm sorry it wasn't better news....let's hope that Dennis manages to stay as he is and your fears are unfounded.
Big hugs to you both xx
Sue.....lucky owner of Milo and Boo

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 12:16:07 PM »
Oh dear, thats not sounding too good for Dennis atm. I have no experience of back injuries in dogs but my son has 2 fratures on his lower back and when he was seen by his consultant they wanted to immobilise the area with a back brace which he wore throughout each day. Is it possible there could be such things available for dogs to help stabilise the weaken area? He was also told increasing his core strength by building up his back and stomach muscles would help to minimise movement of the fractures in the problem area so I was wondering why the vet thought rehabilitation exercises such as the hydrotherapy would not be a good idea for the time being?
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
Maria, I really don't know what to say  :'( :'( :'(
I hope you are looking at the worst possible scenario and that things work out a lot more positive for you and Dennis. All I can offer are huge  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and my sincerest apologies that you are going through this  :-*

Sums up what I want to say.  Thinking of you both  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »
I just wanted send you a great big  :bigarmhug:  and to tell you not to give up hope.  I have said to other owners that these sickly little babies have their own agenda in terms of when or even if they will give up!  Lots of healing thoughts from us up here xxx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
I am so sorry to read this :'( :'(. Wish I could find the right way to put this into words but I have everything crossed for Dennis, massive :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you both xx

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »
I am so sorry to read this,  :luv: :luv: :luv: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you both

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that Dennis is poorly, It is hard when you have a Dog with a chronic condition to know what to do for the best (my cavie had SM and I battled with myself constantly as to whether we were doing right by her  :huh:) I really hope Dennis improves with the medication and I am hoping and praying a positive outcome for you both, Take care, Jo :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »
Me too - I'm sorry to read this - all my thoughts are with you both though  :bigarmhug:  :luv:
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2011, 01:15:55 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.

I think he knows im upset about things , he keeps looking at me as if he knows what im thinking and hes being very cuddly  :luv:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »
I am so sorry to read this Maria  :'(
Just to say i am thinking of you & Dennis, poor little fella  :'(
Sending lots of positive healing thoughts & hugs  :luv: :luv: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
I am so sorry to read this Maria  :'(
Just to say i am thinking of you & Dennis, poor little fella  :'(
Sending lots of positive healing thoughts & hugs  :luv: :luv: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

couldn't have put it better than this, thinking of you  :luv: