Author Topic: Help...pepper is jumping up and waking at 4 am for a poo!  (Read 643 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
Help...pepper is jumping up and waking at 4 am for a poo!
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »
When we go out for walks Pepper jumps up and barks at people and other dogs. I have tried ignoring him and asking people to do the same, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I have tried treating him and saying "watch me" when people go past with some success but I think we are just avoiding the proble and not actually teaching him how to greet people and dogs properly. Any ideas?

Seperate problem. Pepper  was sleeping through untill about 6.00 am but has started needing a wee and sometimes a poo at 4.am. He has his last meal at 5.30 and a last walk about 9.45 when he does a wee and sometimes a poo. Although he goes back to bed well after the "toilet break" he keeps barking for me to go and sit with him. I am concerned he will wake families and neighbours so I am in and out to him untill "wake up " time at 6.30. I am feeling really tires...any ideas please!

Offline SuzanneE

• Donator
Re: Help...pepper is jumping up and waking at 4 am for a poo!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 05:55:18 AM »
With regard to your jumping up problem have you tried asking Pepper to 'sit' (when you see someone approaching)
maybe on the grass verge or to the side slightly.
it will teach him good manners if you can ask him to sit and stay, and that way if people/other dogs want to approach him it can be managed a little better as you can verbally reassure him that 'its ok' and say 'nicely' or 'gently' as they approach, and give him praise and even a treat if he does this well with no jumping up, so that he learns not to jump up and to greet others slowly.
It might be difficult to do this if you walk him in very busy places (lots of sitting down may not be appropriate) but if you could walk somewhere that means you encouter others periodically this may just help.

Offline mooching

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:26 AM »
Mary,

Could I just ask what you're feeding him on (and how much)? And also what treats he has during the day?

It may just be a phase he's going through, or it could be something to do with what he is eating and when.

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »
Thanks. I will try the sit and stay...with "watch me"  he is not watching, but your way he would still be watching what is going on. Im suppose it calls for a higher level of self control but we will give it a go! Wwe are feeding Pepper Royal Cannine dried dog food. he has 3 meals 7.00am. 12.30pm and 5-5.30pm. He has treats of varoius biscuit dog treats, but not that many...I use some of his set allocated dried  food most of the time. Thanks.