Author Topic: What age is fully grown and how to judge if too skinny?  (Read 18866 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
What age is fully grown and how to judge if too skinny?
« on: January 28, 2011, 12:34:48 PM »
At what age is a cocker considered fully grown?  Odie is 13 months old now and I have recently noticed he is looking quite skinny now his puppy fluff is starting to fall out - I can comfortably fit my hands around his waist.  His current weight is 11.3kg and I know the breed standard is 13-14.5kg.  I realise all dogs are different in size and weight but how do I know if he is too skinny or not?  2kg less than the bottom of the breed standard weight is a lot to make up, especially if he hasn't got a lot more of growing to do

He is on 180g CSJ a day (+ fish4dogs treats and/or hotdogs for training purposes) but sometimes doesn't always even eat that amount.

Do you think I should perhaps give him the odd pack of wet food as his 2nd meal - would that bulk him up a bit?  Thoughts please.  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: What age is fully grown and how to judge if too skinny?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:51:44 PM »
Sounds like Charlie.  He is 20 months old and only just over 12 kg.  In veterinary terms they think he's perfect size but in showing terms he's a skinny bean..  He is slowly filling out but isn't particularly food motivated and it's hard work to get him beefed up as he just leaves the food.

I'm constantly told that he's a late developer and he'll fill out in his own time  :-\

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:13:30 PM »
Ah but yours are all so gorgeous I bet no-one notices how skinny he is :luv: But I suppose as you're an expert on how the breed standard should be, it's more apparent to you - although dog knows how much more growing he has to do if he's already 20 months old :o :005:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
they are fully grown in bone by around 13 months - they continue filling out and muscling up until they're 2-ish.

I wouldn't worry, he doesn't sound underweight, he sounds fine.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
I agree.....if Odie's energy levels are high, I shouldn't worry too much ;)  Some of them are built like that - my Finn is whippet like and Alfie is so much more solid.....completely different build yet practically the same size.

Offline NickyT

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing lately about my Charlie (he's 9 months), I'm just about to change him to JWB adult food from puppy food to see if that helps.  I think Charlie is just very athletic tbh, he is always on the go but because I've always had big beefy dogs (Collie x Lab & a Staffy) I think I notice Charlie's 'lean-ness' more. I would hate people to think he's too skinny tho and would love to beef him up a bit  :-\

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 02:03:50 PM »
Think they are just like people aren't they - some lean some stocky! As long as Odie is full of energy and has a healthy coat etc, I don't think you should worry. Freddie is very lean even though he weighs 16.2kg. When he had his booster at new year the vet said he should be on a poster advertising "This is what your dog should look like" ! ;)
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:06:14 PM »
Harry will be 2 in April & is a lean lad, a breeder who saw him when he was 10 months said he'd be 2 or 3 before he filled out so I shouldn't worry.  I have been feeding Harry tripe as one of his daily meals & weighed him recently & he's put a kg on since last weighed in June, he's now 11.7kg the same as Max, who is a much stockier boy & not as long bodied or tall as Harry though.  I think he might still fill out a bit more yet. He has heaps of energy & of course the vet said he was perfect when he weighed 10.8kg
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 02:11:23 PM »
He certainly is full of beans just a bit bony round the back end, I'll keep an eye on things...  :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing lately about my Charlie (he's 9 months), I'm just about to change him to JWB adult food from puppy food to see if that helps.  I think Charlie is just very athletic tbh, he is always on the go but because I've always had big beefy dogs (Collie x Lab & a Staffy) I think I notice Charlie's 'lean-ness' more. I would hate people to think he's too skinny tho and would love to beef him up a bit  :-\

he's still a pup and probably having a growth spurt - he will change as he matures.

here's Jarvis at around a year old (pretending he's a german shorthaired pointer  :shades:)

and here he is last year - a lot more coat, a lot stockier

helen & jarvis x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »
Helen, Odie's back end looks very much like Jarvis in the 1st photo (he doesn't pointer pose tho' :005:)  He looks nice and robust in the 2nd :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »
Helen, Odie's back end looks very much like Jarvis in the 1st photo (he doesn't pointer pose tho' :005:)  He looks nice and robust in the 2nd :luv:

Odie will fill out I'm sure  :luv:  I think we all worry about them when they go through that rangy stage.  I miss my sleek little working cocker though, I've certainly got a solid little adult burst mattress dog  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline NickyT

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 02:46:54 PM »
Charlie also looks alot like Jarvis in that 1st piccie  :D

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »
And some more reassurance - here's Finn

chunky monkey at 5 months

yuck...skinny minny in 2008 (18 months old)

and now a much more muscley boy

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
Look at the size of Finn's paws in the 2nd pic, they look huge in comparison to his skinny legs :005:  OK, I'll take your words for it :lol2:  Thanks :D