Author Topic: What age is fully grown and how to judge if too skinny?  (Read 18871 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: What age is fully grown and how to judge if too skinny?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 04:40:20 PM »

:004: :004: :004:

How wonderful is he? :luv: :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Darwin

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 05:10:41 PM »
Darwin who a show type, is very lean. He's 2 years old in a couple of weeks. I'll try and measure him when he wakes up, which will be interesting as I'm sure he'll think the tape measure is a great toy.

He's only 9.65KG and has stayed the same wight for the past 6 months  In the summer the vet said he weight was fine, but would still be fine if he put on another KG.  He was very ill at 4 months old and as a result the vet had said his growth rate would be slower and he wouldn't be full grown until 18 months.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »
They are all different. Tally is leaner than my chunky monkey Dru and always will be, although he did go through a very lean stage after loosing his puppy coat and before stocking up a bit. It does take some longer than others. He likely looks very different if he's just lost his puppy coat and still needs to develop all his adult coat. I'm sure once he grows a bit more coat and matures a bit more he'll be fine.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »
I think that's what the problem is, he's been handstripped (by hubby) on his back but his legs are still very thick puppy fluff and impossible to handstrip yet.  The difference is making him look skinny along his back/rear end.  Saying that, I said to OH that it takes Odie so long to dry after walks that I'm having him cut shortish (his legs) for the warmer weather so he'll match again! (he'd prefer Odie to look like gorgeous Tally though :luv:)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »

:004: :004: :004:

How wonderful is he? :luv: :luv:

O thank you Hannah :021:

• Inactive
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 07:21:01 PM »
Look at the size of Finn's paws in the 2nd pic, they look huge in comparison to his skinny legs :005:  OK, I'll take your words for it :lol2:  Thanks :D

hehehe...it was his hollowness in the hip area that used to make me think....ooooooo......squeamish!

won't be long before you can do some compariness pics when your Odie is all growed up :luv:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »
I hope I'll not be complaining in 6 months time about him putting on TOO much weight :005: :005:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 07:24:20 PM »
I hope I'll not be complaining in 6 months time about him putting on TOO much weight :005: :005:

:005: :005: :005: 

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 08:00:16 PM »
Louis is 19 months and weighs about 13kg but at Odie's age was about 12kg. He still has some maturing and bodying up to do and I think that will take some time yet. I show him occasionally and he always looks a bit skinny in the show ring, but I know that he's very fit and well muscled.

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 08:00:59 PM »
Tali is 11.6kg, I think that was the last weigh in. His skull looks smaller than Keli's but Keli's nose was about an inch longer than his leathers, Tali's is spot on. However, Tali's pads, feet and claws are very small compared to Keli's and as I said in an earlier post, Tali is tiny compared to working cocker, Fungus, who is only 7 months older than Tali. To me Tali is small, but he's on raw and will not get the growth spurts that other commercial foods can give puppies. Maybe he'll take a bit longer as he's boney and ribby atm. If he filled out too much he'd look too chunky as he's also around 2-3" shorter in length than Keli.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline maddy74

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 08:08:43 PM »
OMG Jarvis and Fin are lovely dogs. Cant make a comment on size and weight of dogs as we havnt got our baby yet.....Cant wait until I am as clued up as you guys. Maybe I might be one day  :D

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »
They're all so different aren't they,  I thought Quinn was a bit skinny as he's 12.8 kg (2 weeks ago) and he hasn't any fat on him at all.    Guess the height also makes a difference to the weight.    I really don't know what puts the weight on, I have heard tripe does but haven't tried it myself.   

Offline Catie74

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »
How odd.  I logged on to start a new thread asking this very question.  My Archie is nearly 10months old bur has not gained weight for a while. which is why I was wondering when they are fully grown.  he is about 9.8kg

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 07:25:12 AM »
Roly stuck at about 11kg for a while too, but at two & 8months years old now he is 13kg and still very lean with it. He always seemed quite gangly but he has definitely filled out and is quite solid.

This was him on his first birthday
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/littlebudha/IMG_1912-1.jpg

and now in May last year at two years old - he doesn't look so much bigger but he's definitely heavier.
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/littlebudha/Beach%20Walk%20-%20May/DSCF3697.jpg

Misha was the same and very lean at 1 year, but she is definitely filled out, but is only 0.5kg heavier now that at a year old.

I think they all fill out in their own time.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 09:44:57 AM »
I have to be very careful with Charlie's feeds.  If I try to add something and he doesn't like it, he'll just stop eating for a few days and we go backwards instead of forwards.  He scatters his feed round the kitchen too and when he's had enough, he won't eat any more.

Jasper on the other hand would eat everything plus some even if he was going to pop!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie