Author Topic: 1st visit  (Read 1903 times)

Offline maddy74

Re: 1st visit
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »
Ahh, fern is nice too  :luv: I said to OH we need to get approx another 4-5 pups so we can use all the names we like....lol. Im starting with one cocker at a time, although I have dropped into conversation it might be nice to have another one next year. He nearly fell over....lol  :005:

Offline karen488

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »
Reading "the perfect puppy" no. 2 sounds lime a lot of hard work. Sticking with one for now.  My OH wants a westi next. Weaning him onto cockers!

Offline black taz

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »
I love the name willow and Fern as well.  Darcey is getting to be quite a popular name around us.  

We have always gone the route of all four of us writing down suggested names, then the others cross them out until we end up with a couple (or in Kira's case, just one).  The downside of this is that no-one finishes up with their 1st choice, but that said Taz's name suits him (he can be a real tasmanian devil).  The other names i had for Kira were Roxy, Gina and Keisha.  Had i have had a pedigree papers before we named her i think i would have gone with Mysty (Kendici Mystical Shadow)

you must be so excited though - can't wait to see some photos

Offline karen488

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »
OH came up with Tasia which was his best contribution...

Offline black taz

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 10:53:20 PM »
quite like that one too - i like the more unusual exotic names

Offline karen488

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »
He was searching Spanish names...

Offline maddy74

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:30 PM »
Good luck for tmw have you got to go far? Im off to bed soon to read my perfect puppy book. half way through now. Lets us know how it goes. Can u chose a pup or is there only 1 bitch left in the colour you want? x

Offline karen488

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 07:04:06 AM »
Oh look I'm up early! No choice Maddy 3 hr drive so going to a hotel and making a weekend of it. The puppy book is great isn't it. I'm about 1/3 through. Hope it works. There so much conflicting advice around.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 09:42:16 AM »
Hi Karen, I was like that re the conflicting advice, im still unsure now. You mean no choice re the pup? Our's was like that when we rang up out of a litter of 7 she was the only one left. She was a golden girl and that what the OH had heart set on although I would of been happy to have anything with 4 legs and a wagging tail. At that point b4 I saw her I just knew it was meant to be  :luv: Have fun x

Offline mooching

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 10:00:31 AM »
hey you two!  ;)

Are you sure it's conflicting advice or just "this works for some people in their set-up, and this works for others in a different set-up"?

How about maybe one of you starting a "conflicting advice?" thread and airing some of your questions, and seeing what COL'ers come up with?  :D

Offline maddy74

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 10:31:30 AM »
Hi Mooching, I am going to do what suits us, everyone has differing views but not two peoples circumstances are the same. The breeder gave me a sound bit of advice, just to be consistent, me and OH sing from the same hymn sheet and do what is best for our life style. A lot of it will be trial and error for us as we havnt had a pup for so long and never had one together. Its going to be a huge learning curve and a big adventure hopefully with lots of fun with our four legged bundle of mischief along the way.  :cool4: I for one cant wait. Watch his space....

Offline mooching

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
me and OH sing from the same hymn sheet

Yep, and on the sofa, with Willow singing along between you!  ;)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »
Yep it's quite confusing for the new owner. Advice is conflicting and I honestly think one puppy book is no real help, you need a few. It also helps to understand how dogs think which most of the cute, shiney puppy books only touch the surface of, hence why I suggested also reading the Dunbar book, Maddie. Nearly every dog behaviourist out there wants you to believe they know the way to the perfect dog. There has been one man whose methods have not changed with fads and remain consistant  ;)

Have fun, can't wait for the photos :D
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline maddy74

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »
Hiya Mel, I finally order Dunbars book yest. Ive got Gwen Bailey and victoria stilwell.  ;)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »
Stilwell is ok to a point. Again shiney and packaged. She has good advice on food though. Dunbar needs to be read but it's very simple. His isn't full of colour pictures and charts.

I seriously suggest that dvd, Maddie. Opened my eyes ;)
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!