Author Topic: Wooden bone dog toy  (Read 480 times)

Offline Catie74

Wooden bone dog toy
« on: February 11, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »
I bought a wooden bone for Archie,  He is slowly actually eating it.  Sorry if sounding really stupid, but are they meant to do this and is it safe to do so.  He does seem to love it so don't really want to take it off him

Offline mooching

Re: Wooden bone dog toy
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »
Alfie (also 10 months) started doing this with his and making quite a lot of headway into it, and I took it away from him. I didn't want to chance it. I know when he eats bits of twig they pass through undigested, and I'd be worried about undigested wood accumulating in his gut.

Have you seen the thread about the Stagbars? Or the ostrich tendons? (seeing as you have a gnawer!)

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 05:00:49 PM »
I've never seen wooden toys for dogs apart from the activity ones such as Nina Ottersen(sp). Is it designed for dogs? Personally I wouldn't give it to mine as both would destroy it and I shouldn't think it would be good for them. I prefer to give them something natural, such as ostrich sinews,these are great here's a discussion thread http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=79687.0

posted same time as Mooching
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
I think they're actually meant to be used as a retrieving "toy".  However, when Isla was a pup she took to eating my dining table and chairs!  So I got her one of these to save the rest of my furniture!  It seemed to do the trick! and she only got through one of them before the habit wore off!

Thankfully Merfyn seems to prefer chewing plastic such as the chuck it stick (got through 2 of those!) but it's better than the furniture!  Strange how they prefer different things!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!