Author Topic: Aggressive Puppy behaviour PLEASE HELP  (Read 6846 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Aggressive Puppy behaviour PLEASE HELP
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »

Just to add to all the excellent advice already given, a "yelp" is often something that encourages a puppy to bite more - the trainer at our puppy classes demonstrates just how similar a yelp sounds to all those squeaky toys we spend so much money on...  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline mooching

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 04:55:31 PM »
Just to add to all the excellent advice already given, a "yelp" is often something that encourages a puppy to bite more - the trainer at our puppy classes demonstrates just how similar a yelp sounds to all those squeaky toys we spend so much money on...  ;)

This was definitely the case with Alfie! I mentioned it to my vet and she said to say "uh uh" instead. After that, I saw that recommended here as well! And it definitely was much more effective with Alfie.

Offline mark1

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
We always just said 'no' or 'don't bite' firmly and it worked for us. We have had three Cocker puppies and never had a problem with biting. I have read many times that saying no is taboo and I'll probably get told now, but I can only say what has worked for us  ;)  

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »
The actual aggression that i'm talking about i'll try to get a video of. I wouldn't consider it normal as it seems really nasty behavior actually trying to bite me to hurt me.

I'm sure it does seem nasty, and yes, she is trying to bite you (not hurt tho, there is a difference!) but as said, it is all normal and part of a puppies learning curve. It is how puppies learn social behaviour and bite inhibition (and it does end, I promise you  :D) For some puppies it can also be a bit of a puppy temper tantrum and needs to be dealt with as you would a toddler temper tantrum; calm on your part and distraction or possibly a "time-out". She may be a  stubborn and willful puppy so will require extra patience (which I know is hard but it will pay off!)

If you have ever watched puppies playing together there is loads of growling, snarling, biting and fierce faces but they are actually having a ball. But puppies are also not aware yet that this is not an appropriate way to play with humans, so it is up to us to teach them how they can play with us. That is where distraction comes in "no, we don't play like that, we play like this.."

You can also reduce part of her meal and use that for swapping treats, or break the treats into very tiny pieces too

Can I ask how she's managing to get hold of the nice clothing you mentioned?

I assume that the humans are wearing them  :005: Try throwing a toy or treat when she is hanging onto clothing, or getting or making her some tug toys (an old pair of knotted socks or an old knotted tea towel do well) and engage her with that.

http://www.clickerlessons.com/tug.htm

We always just said 'no' or 'don't bite' firmly and it worked for us. We have had three Cocker puppies and never had a problem with biting. I have read many times that saying no is taboo and I'll probably get told now, but I can only say what has worked for us  ;) 

There is nothing wrong with saying no or ah-ah  ;)

You will get through this!  :D
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 05:06:24 PM »
We always just said 'no' or 'don't bite' firmly and it worked for us. We have had three Cocker puppies and never had a problem with biting. I have read many times that saying no is taboo and I'll probably get told now, but I can only say what has worked for us  ;)  
When my girls were puppies, they must have thought their names were "NO"  :005: :005: :005:
That was in pre COL days though but they have turned out to be the most biddable, wonderful girls ever  :angel: :angel: :luv: :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline pip1965

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »
Otto was like this and I have the scars on my ankles to prove it.I thought it would never stop but one day I just realised it had.Sometimes he was like a puppy possessed >:(

I would seriously recommend a puppy pen ,we had his crate in the pen  less restrictive than the crate but meant we had somewhere safe to put him if  or when necessar for example if he was getting over excited or if I needed to concentrate on something else .Also would use a kong to keep him busy as soon as he is able ,frozen they are great for teething.
Otto has never had free range of the house but now two he is starting to have more freedom as it's just not such an issue.As a pup it was kitchen only and maybe an hour in the sitting room in the evening.We have 3boys and I was always worried Otto would choke on Lego or a guitar pick!
Are you booked into puppy classes?I found them invaluable for swooping tips and realising that your pup is entirely normal! :blink:

Offline mooching

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 05:17:22 PM »

I wouldn't say it's taboo, it's just so broad that it can end up not being helpful for the pup, as it merely tells him/her what not to do, rather than what to do.

Offline mark1

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »

I wouldn't say it's taboo, it's just so broad that it can end up not being helpful for the pup, as it merely tells him/her what not to do, rather than what to do.

That was the point, telling them what not to do, e.g don't bite me  :lol: As I said it worked for us and we have Three well balanced, gorgeous Cockers.

Offline mooching

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
That was the point, telling them what not to do, e.g don't bite me  

I can see how that could work, for someone who never or rarely used "no" for anything else other than the biting.  I personally wasn't that controlled! The temptation for me was to say no to any behaviour that I didn't want Alfie doing; where the usage of "no" is wide, that's where it can become unhelpful to the dog.

We used "no bite" sometimes, but not just "no" on its own. Sometimes we just offered him things he *could* bite/chew instead, if we felt he was having a bit of a "needing to chew" phase.

It worked for you and your dogs to use "no", and that is great. But in my time here at COL I've seen quite a few people come on here and say that they say "no" to their dog in regard to various things, and it just doesn't listen, which is often down to the word being overused, hence my reply.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
To a puppy or untrained dog, the word "no" by itself is meaningless; dogs don't speak English, it's just another of those wierd sounds hoomans make  :005: It's also a "soft" sound, whereas "ah-ah" or "aahh" can be made very sharp and gutteral or growly, it's the tone of voice more than the word.

"No" as a word has to be given context and meaning, so a substitute behaviour (such as a sit command, or a ball toss for example) or a consequence (human leaves or stops playing, or doesn't put leash on for walk, whatever) have to be coupled with the word  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline mark1

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 06:43:36 PM »
To a puppy or untrained dog, the word "no" by itself is meaningless; dogs don't speak English, it's just another of those wierd sounds hoomans make  :005: It's also a "soft" sound, whereas "ah-ah" or "aahh" can be made very sharp and gutteral or growly, it's the tone of voice more than the word.

"No" as a word has to be given context and meaning, so a substitute behaviour (such as a sit command, or a ball toss for example) or a consequence (human leaves or stops playing, or doesn't put leash on for walk, whatever) have to be coupled with the word  :shades:
As I said it worked for us. I have never been lucky enough to be inside a dogs head and actually hear what they hear but I'm sure there are numerous text books on it  :005: Maybe my dogs do understand English  :005: I'm sure that dogs don't see ah ah or aahh as a weird human sound  :lol:

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
Poppy definitely knows the phrase 'no biting!'
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline Toffeepop

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
We went through a similar experience when we first got toffee. He would be aggressive towards our 3 year old son either when he tried to take something from him or if toffee was with me and Fraser came over for a cuddle. I really panicked as I was afraid for my sons safety and i could tell he was meaning it and wasn't just playing.

However it only lasted a week or so and we realised toffee thought he was higher up the pecking order than Fraser. Toffee was just trying to find his place in the family pack.

From when he realised he was bottom of the ladder (although we love him dearly) we have had no problems with aggression. He is still a bit rough when he is playing but not aggressive at all.

Hope you find out it's the same for you.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 09:46:14 AM »
Otto was like this and I have the scars on my ankles to prove it.I thought it would never stop but one day I just realised it had.Sometimes he was like a puppy possessed >:(

I begin wearing wellies with my foster cocker pups ;)

As others say it does seem nasty at the time especially if you've not experienced this before but its all about redirecting it from you - but if its done in a confrontational way the pup just learns to be confrontational

For pups its a learning curve (just as it will be for you) and they don't just arrive in a household as a non-biting dog - they have to learn how to live with you but you have to teach them that - bite inhibition is an important skill to teach them.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

sarahR

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 09:57:07 AM »
Yes we wore wellies and dressing gowns when we first got up for ages  after we had Ozzie and used to keep our feet curled up under us on the settee . We folloed the stickie at the top of the puppy page about biting behaviour and it did eventually stop . She just has to learn the right way.
Keep going it will sort its self out eventually. :D