Author Topic: Aggressive Puppy behaviour PLEASE HELP  (Read 6848 times)

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
Re: Aggressive Puppy behaviour PLEASE HELP
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »
Yep totally agree with last posts - interesting thing about rolling onto the back, though. We have not taught Freddie to do this, he just does it and yes, mostly gets a tummy rub. He used to do it all the time in front of other dogs when he was much younger so I assume he was deferring to their higher status as I've never seen a dog GIVE a tummy rub! I appreciate that there is much more to pack theory than "pecking order" - Freddie usually eats at the same time as us and goes in and out of most doors (except front) before or after us, depends who gets there first.
Paula & Freddie x

Offline mark1

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
I think most theories by their very definition will become outdated as a new theory is taken on by the general population. This is usually the product of some academic study or other. My daughter, who has three children said the other day that there were changes in what she was advised to do with each child even though they are only a couple of years between them. My own thoughts are that there is still a lot in the pack theory that is relevant, but things usually change for the better, although the tendency is to move from one theory to another, totally dismissing the previous one. I worked for many years in zoos and wildlife parks and during that time met a chap who had a wolf pack. He used to go in and physically fight with the alpha male as he said that was the only way he would retain any standing in the pack. I neither agreed with what he did or disagreed but found it an interesting insight into our relationship with animals. I later raised two (captive bred) arctic foxes who's mother had died and kept them at home with me and my dogs. To be honest I treated them the same as the dogs and they just fitted in with the family. I never felt I had to assert myself either physically or otherwise to gain their respect but felt I did need to be a leader because without that all order breaks down. I think the pack theory is useful in understanding your dogs thinking and behaviour to a degree and that can be used to help your dogs fit in with your family/society. I love my dogs to bits but they are dogs and they come below my human family, that seems very simple to me. We will all have different views on how we view our dogs, train them and where they sit within the family but I have never yet done anything in my life that was based on one persons theory, I prefer to keep an open mind.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »
Yep totally agree with last posts - interesting thing about rolling onto the back, though. We have not taught Freddie to do this, he just does it and yes, mostly gets a tummy rub. He used to do it all the time in front of other dogs when he was much younger so I assume he was deferring to their higher status as I've never seen a dog GIVE a tummy rub! I appreciate that there is much more to pack theory than "pecking order" - Freddie usually eats at the same time as us and goes in and out of most doors (except front) before or after us, depends who gets there first.

So Freddie uses the same behaviour (rolling onto back) for different purposes, depending on whether he us communicating with dogs or humans...  ;)  Indicates to me he knows humans aren't dogs...  :005:

mark - I obviously don't know any details of the guy in question, but I would assume the captive wolves were not a family unit, and so the pack wasn't a stable pack (which was the problem with the original studies into pack behaviour).  Incidentally, the lady who ran the T Touch workshop I went on works with wolves, and certainly doesn't physically fight them to enable her to do so...  ;) 
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline mark1

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »

So Freddie uses the same behaviour (rolling onto back) for different purposes, depending on whether he us communicating with dogs or humans...  ;)  Indicates to me he knows humans aren't dogs...  :005:

mark - I obviously don't know any details of the guy in question, but I would assume the captive wolves were not a family unit, and so the pack wasn't a stable pack (which was the problem with the original studies into pack behaviour).  Incidentally, the lady who ran the T Touch workshop I went on works with wolves, and certainly doesn't physically fight them to enable her to do so...  ;) 
And like I said things usually moves on for the better, the point being a theory is usually a minority opinion sold to a wider audience. My own thoughts have changed dramatically over the years on how we treat captive animals and no longer agree with animals kept in captivity at all unless it is a bona fide breeding programme.  I feel most people who interact closely with Wolves, Tigers, Lions etc do it for their own egos. But going back to the OP I think that you should formulate your own strategy about how to deal with an aggressive puppy based on lots of information and opinion and there is plenty of that to be found on this forum  :005:

Offline Toffeepop

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 02:11:04 PM »
I have to apologise to Chrisuk263 for opening a can of worms! All I intended to do was pass on my own experience of a similar situation and reassure Chris that things would probably get better as the pup settled in to family life.

Unfortunately he is probably more confused than ever!

I hope your puppy has now settled in and you are able to enjoy this very exciting stage in his life.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »
It's interesting this pack theory thing coming up over and over again.

mind you people still believe that bitches should always have one litter - what am saying here is some people never change their view however much we discuss these things on here and when someone gets a new dogs it becomes an opportunity for those people to come out of the woodwork and give their views about dog behaviour etc. (even if they don't have a dog themselves but they read about it once) ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »
Still getting the aggression from time to time. but now as soon as it happens we say "No" and if she doesn't listen then we put her in the kitchen behind a baby gate. Sometime though I need to put her in the submissive position until she relaxes and then she can get up

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 07:08:15 PM »
Still getting the aggression from time to time. but now as soon as it happens we say "No" and if she doesn't listen then we put her in the kitchen behind a baby gate. Sometime though I need to put her in the submissive position until she relaxes and then she can get up

Please, please don't do this to your pup....  :'(
This kind of "training" could make her hand-shy and nervous of people... it can lead to real (fear related) aggression rather than the normal puppy biting you are experiencing.

Distract your pup from biting you using toys (or something else she CAN bite), and reward her when she is good.  By all means get up and walk away from her when she is too much, to give her and you some space... 
Puppy biting, while incredibly frustrating, is an important developmental stage and handled properly will leave you with a dog with excellent bite inhibition.

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »

Please, please don't do this to your pup....  :'(
This kind of "training" could make her hand-shy and nervous of people... it can lead to real (fear related) aggression rather than the normal puppy biting you are experiencing.

Distract your pup from biting you using toys (or something else she CAN bite), and reward her when she is good.  By all means get up and walk away from her when she is too much, to give her and you some space... 
Puppy biting, while incredibly frustrating, is an important developmental stage and handled properly will leave you with a dog with excellent bite inhibition.

I agree - time outs are great but rolling a dog into an Alpha position isn't great and can be quite sad...my Finn will automatically roll into this position to appease us and I hate it - makes me feel like I beat him and I never ever have :'(

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 08:05:19 PM »
I think you are expecting results too quickly to be honest. Calm, kind and consistent reactions on your part will work but it all takes time, sometimes a very long time. Morgan was a very bitey puppy and tested our patience for many months but he eventually learned and has grown up to have wonderful bite inhibition. Making your dog submit to you in the way you describe seems rather like bullying her I'm afraid  :'(
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline PennyB

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
I think you are expecting results too quickly to be honest.

+ some cockers can be quite stubborn as well which doesn't help in training either
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline jakesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »
Jake was horrendous when he was a puppy. For months and months I was convinced that he was a) the devile dog  >:D and b) hated me. Seems silly now  :005:

But the word 'no' didn't compute until he was around 8 or 9 months....he was just too excitable to listen. Distraction was the only thing that helped at all...and even then, only sometimes.

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »
Chrisuk She is Only a puppy. She will be trying to find her feet IMO. All puppy's play up. Nipping  (biting)  eating clothes  >:D I really would not worry so much and enjoy her while she is young. I have Grace she is 18 months and she still nips, growls normal to warm me she does not want to play or be left alone.

NO PUP IS PERFECT
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022