Author Topic: Toby is here!  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
Re: Toby is here!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
Toby is  :luv: :luv: :luv: Lucky you  :D
Janet & Poppy

Offline grracee

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
Toby is gorgeous!!  :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:
Can't wait to see more pictures! :D :luv:

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »
Congratulations, such a lovely boy.

Evex

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
Right he is asleep so update time!

Went all the way to Sue Kettle and back - total 7 hours driving. Toby was fab in car, bit sicky and a little wee but great.

Got home about 5pm and main aim was to introduce to cat but so far that has been ok. George the cat aloof and looking down nose. Today Toby was asleep on lounge floor and George got close enough to sniff him. If cats could speak he would have said "well that things smells"!

Toby has been fab today but gosh it takes me back to when we had toddlers - someone is always watching! He has (dare I say this and jinx things) no accidents inside and wees and poos in garden so far.

He seems terribly hungry bless him, sticking to his 3 meals a day and using kibble for treats.

Last night was as I expected. He went in his crate ok the 1st time and then woke up literally on the 2 hourly mark. Each time did a wee in garden but the 1pm time was easier to settle than the 3pm and then the 5pm was tricky as he howled! Ended up with him on my lap on the chair! His crate isnt in our room and so I will sleep on sofa for a few more nights!

Took him to vet today just to say hi! And then went into our village (quite a big one but not a town) with him in arms. Stood on a corner for 10 mins and lots of people came up and said "can I stroke your puppy" - "thats why I am stood here" I said !

And thats it. After the many many weeks of waiting he is worth the wait.  :luv:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
Sara it sound like it is going well. Toby sounds like a delight. Hope you get a bit more sleep tonight.  :D

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »
Oh sounds fab - i remember those puppy days well! He's gorgeous. We have a Lujesa boy lives opposite us (solid black) and he's such a sweetheart temperament - look forward to seeing more of him soon  :luv:
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
Gorgeous pup :luv: :luv: His eyelashes are to die for ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »
He was well worth the drive  :luv: :luv: 
helen & jarvis x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 08:06:48 PM »
He is absolutely gorgeous  :luv: :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 08:22:23 PM »
We have had a lovely lovely day with him. Now for the tricky bit - keeping him awake till bed time!

He is great with his loo stops outside - hopefully he will extend his 2 hour need from last night to a .....  shall we say 4 hours!  :005:

Just put some video on that forum of him

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 11:51:07 PM »
He is absolutely gorgeous - lucky you!

Sue and Tilly

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 08:35:36 AM »
Day 2 in the Lujesa Tobias household   :luv:

I am almost reluctant to say how wonderful he has been in terms of toileting, handling, playing with us and on own etc as the bubble could burst any time if there is a "doggy honeymoon period"

But he is fab! I am so in love and so is rest of family!

Last night was interesting - seasoned COL folks what would you do ...

Bedtime 10.30pm, settled well
Howling etc 11.45pm - had wee and poo outside, settled well
Howling etc again at 1.15am - another wee

At that time (omg I was with eyes closed!  :shades:) he would not settle, did not want door closed of crate etc.

So in reminiscent of toddler times and being knackered....... I thought s** this (sorry for stars, don’t know if I am aloud to say s** that rhymes with cod?!) – I thought of number 1 and need for sleep so I left crate door open. This left Toby in utility/kitchen with cat flap to garden…..

Didn’t hear a peep from him. I went back to “sleep” on settee…. And woke guiltily at 6.30am. Went into his room and thought ok, how much wee and poop was going to be there, how much were the leather chairs in utility (coffee) area going to be chewed, was George the cat going to be pinned up against the cat flap or worse still was Toby no where to be seen having found the cat flap…….

Toby was sound asleep in a stack a jack under some shelves that has off cuts of vet bed in…..

No wees,no poos, no traumatised cat, no escaped dog.

So the question is ------ do I try to crate train with crate door closed or not…..

He is asleep now – quick shower!

Sara

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 08:50:14 AM »
So the question is ------ do I try to crate train with crate door closed or not…..

You really have to work up to closing the crate door - crate training is a gradual process but if you try to force it and shut the door too soon, you'll get a puppy who protests very strongly ;) You need to work on making the crate a nice place for him so that he chooses to go in by himself (with door open) and then you can start shutting the door for short periods after a while. It can be a slow process so don't be in too much of a hurry :D
Jane

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »
Could he just have the utility area as his bedroom? Or do you specifically want him crated at night?

Glad he had a relatively good night  :luv: Hope you can survive the day without falling asleep  ph34r :005:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »
I think I would continue to try the crate, as suggested put something nice inside during the day and then shut the door for short periods of time until he gets used to it.  You were very brave letting him loose all night, although the need for sleep I understand.

Im watching your experiences with interest as I still have a few weeks to go, so will be taking any tips you get for when my little angel comes home  ;)