Author Topic: 2 weeks on.. and 2 questions!  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: 2 weeks on.. and 2 questions!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »

Yes - Royal Canin has a puppy food for weaning only, then a junior food from 2 months on (a way to make more money, methinks....)

Sara - does he eat any of the food?  What do you do with the food he leaves?  Will he eat the kibble for training? 

And I'm afraid it took us until Honey was nearly 1 before we saw 7am in bed, let alone 8am!!!  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 08:54:44 PM »

Sara - does he eat any of the food?  What do you do with the food he leaves?  Will he eat the kibble for training? 

He sort of looks at me as if to say "no ta" and then maybe has a few moutfulls. And no turns away at the kibble for a reward so we just say "good boy".

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »
I put food down at meal times and leave for max of 5 min if not eaten it gets lifted and they get nothing to the next feed

By the time the pup I had here (went home this afternoon) She was eating all her feeds - but before that she just picked at them - owners well impressed

Offline maddy74

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22:04 PM »
Up until about 2 weeks ago our Willow was still on 4 meals a day. I know the puppy food contains dif nutrients to adult foods. Re the sleep we have been lucky with Willow, the older she had got (although only 17 weeks now) the longer she has slept. last night was a record, 11pm til 8.45am. We have been lucky in that department I guess.  ;) Its will get better with time but I guess every pup different.

Offline Manchester_Spaniel

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »
Hey there, i hope you are having fun! I can only give advice from my experience:

Food: Fred used to be a grazer and would only eat a bit and then he was done - he is one now and if it last for 5 mins I am lucky! What we did is that we would stand by his bowl and praise him lots and lots as he was eating and that encouraged him to eat more. Another way is to leave the bowl down for a set amount of time and lift it up at the end of the time rather than leaving the food down all day. We sort of did this but we left it down for as along as 30 mins, but he did get over it. Another thing is to add a bit of warm water to the kibble to release a bit of aroma and make it softer for them.

Sleep: We have been very lucky in this respect but we used a different method to others - from night one he had his crate (open though) and the kitchen and some newspaper. We never came down when he whined, and we started to come down at first at 6.00am and over a few weeks pushed it to 8.00am - sometimes he had weed on the newspaper and sometimes he didnt - as time went on weeing on the newspaper had gone from regularly, ad-hoc to never. This weeekend I came down at 10.00am and he was fine, in fact Fred preferred to run upstairs give the OH a big good morning cocker snog rather than go out. Morale of the story is extend the time little bit by little and over time they will adjust.

Oh and the 3/4 meals a day thing - I believe the standard advice is 4 small meals a day if you can fit it in to your schedule, however I think we went to 3 quite quickly as we were able to maintain that, Fred is perfectly okay a year on - no problems, extra legs etc  ;)   

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »
Just to let you know we are onto 3rd night of 10.30pm - 7am and I dont feel like a lab rat sleep deprived any more!

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 08:57:03 AM »
Glad your getting more sleep, there is hope yet for us then.  10.30 - 7 sounds like a lifetime away to me right now, I can only dream of our Toby doing this  ;)

Offline Dimples

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
Glad your getting more sleep, there is hope yet for us then.  10.30 - 7 sounds like a lifetime away to me right now, I can only dream of our Toby doing this  ;)

We were honoured with this for 1 nigth at the start then 5am each day thereafter   :'(

We caved in last night - I got in at 12.30am - woke Robbie up by a creaking stair  >:( - then as he hadnt seen me since 4pm that day he wouldnt go back to bed  :'(....so...after 40 mins....i gave in to what i said i wouldnt do...and that was bring him upstairs to our room  :embarassed:...guess what...slept until 7am  ph34r....they are clever arent they!!!!! ;)
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
Dimples,watch out for that slippery slope  ;)!
xxxx

Offline Dimples

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
Dimples,watch out for that slippery slope  ;)!
xxxx

I know I know!!!!!  Was a one off I promise  :005:  I just needed sleep  :'(

Back to normal tonight............honest........... ;)
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
Talk about slippery slope, Ive moved my whole bed downstairs to the lounge as my bedroom wasnt large enough to fit the crate in for our Toby.  :o  I have a feeling that will be where it stays  ph34r

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 09:13:59 PM »
We are now nearly 3 weeks with Toby and I am just about not feeling sleep deprived!