Author Topic: 20 mins of what?  (Read 798 times)

Offline karen488

20 mins of what?
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:44:16 PM »
Darcey is now 4 months old and we're just about keeping to 20 minute walks. She isn't a bonkers pup. She runs a bit but not manically. I am just wondering if I could introduce her to some very gentle jogging? can she do the odd longer walk at the weekend? All this lovely weather and we're desperate to get going!

Offline murphys mum

Re: 20 mins of what?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:09:11 PM »
Your dog will let you know when its had enough exercise and as long as you dont go miles you can also go somewhere where you can have a sit down and rest your dog then have a slow walk back. That way you are both happy Enjoy :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »
I wouldn't jog with such a young puppy but an occasional longer walk isn't going to do her any harm. The thing is that young puppies aren't generally very good at self-regulating exercise and they do easily overdo it. You can also carry her for periods if you do a longer walk so that she's not actually walking for the whole duration.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
At four months old I would say no, the puppy wouldn't object at all but they never do - its upto the owners.   IMO it is far too much for a baby to do, its different running around in circles and mooching to flat out jogging.   Best wait another 6 months.    :D

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:42:17 AM »
At four months old I would say no, the puppy wouldn't object at all but they never do - its upto the owners.   IMO it is far too much for a baby to do, its different running around in circles and mooching to flat out jogging.   Best wait another 6 months.    :D
i agree, jogging is too much , i would do a slightly longer walk and carry her for a little bit
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Dimples

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 12:41:07 PM »
We sometimes do much more than 20 mins walking but i carry him a good proportion of the extra time. I have in my mind how much he has done and then assess it. To be fair he is quite happy to jump up for a carry then lets me know when he wants to get back down.  If we are walking across fields he runs like mad up and down so I make sure i pick him up for a rest.   :D

This is mainly on weekends though. On day to day basis I strictly follow the 15 min rule morning and lunchtime and then his evening walk can either consist of a 15 min walk or a play over the rec with his friends for a bit longer.  :lol:

The walk away from home is always a slow sniff about one - the walk home turns into a run almost as he gets his homing zone on board and grabs the lead in his mouth and gets a spurt on  :005:

Look after their legs now and they will look after themselves when they are older.  Definately no jogging with them. ;)
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline karen488

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »
Not sure about carrying her. What was once tiny is fast becoming a lump! At what age can she start a little jogging? Am I right in thinking it's 5 mins per month up to 12 months and then anything goes or does it carry on in 5's?

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 01:14:55 PM »
Look after their legs now and they will look after themselves when they are older.  Definately no jogging with them. ;)

Very wise words ;)

Agree with others on the jogging front - that's definitely a very bad idea. My 4yr old show type who will run and hunt all day with my Weimaraner even struggles with jogging on lead for any period - it's too 'steady' for him and I used to do it with him occasionally, but have stopped as I can tell it's not really doing him any good. Some cockers find it a bit easier, but in general they are more point and squirt type dogs and like to go flat out in lots of different directions then have a rest, steady on lead jogging doesn't really suit their design very much and will seriously hammer and potentially damage a puppy's soft joints. I cycle with my two (they're 4 and 6 yrs) and have the same the same issue there - my Weim is a good design for keeping a steady pace up for a long time, the cocker really struggles with it and needs to take breaks a lot more frequently.

I would advise leaving any unnatural (to them) 'hard' exercises until your pup is a year and a half at least and then introduce gently ;) I've always done the odd longer walk than the 5 min rule with pups though - just be sensible about it. A good rucksack is useful for carrying them to give them a rest, I used to wear it on my front so I could hang on to a wriggling pup if necessary! That way you can go a lot further and not feel so restricted :D You want your dog to be as fit as possible for as many years as possible and so investing in restricted exercise now will pay off in bucket loads for the rest of their hopefully long and active life :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x