Author Topic: 2 cocker spaniels good?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline grav

2 cocker spaniels good?
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »
got a 9 month old male working cocker, want another cocker and was wondering what peoples exepriences were like? do you find it easier as the dogs become great friends? is it ok to have 2 male dogs or do you need to mix them up?

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: 2 cocker spaniels good?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
Poppy was 14months old when we got Pebbles and I knew straight away that they would get on. We now have 2 puppies (bitches) only one week between them and they get on like a house on fire.  Don't know if males are the same but I'm sure someone will be along shortly and give you some good advice.  :lol2: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 05:24:01 PM »
You'll get varying opinions on this topic but generally it's recommended to wait at least 18 months or so before adding a second puppy. Puppies are hard work and adolescent dogs are hard work so unless you can do a lot of separate walking and training it's often not a good idea. Plus the closer in age the dogs are often the higher the likelihood they may have issues when they hit maturity if a power struggle develops. I've personally been in that situation with two male working Cockers, there was about 15 months between them and in hindsight it wasn't enough, they got on ok to begin with but began to fight terribly when the younger one got to around 18 months old and in the end I had to rehome one of them. If you are getting another dog the combination least likely to throw up issues is a dog and a bitch (although you'd obviously then have to have one or both neutered and/or have a contingency plan in place for seasons) but plenty of people have two or more of the same sex and it can work, it really depends on the dogs. There is always the possiblity that any given pair of dogs may never be 'great friends' though - some get along really well, some tolerate each other and some just never get on. I now have a dog and two bitches; the dog gets on well with both of the bitches but my youngest bitch will bully the older one if she can, they don't fight but they just about tolerate each other (and there's 4 years between the pair of them).
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »
I have a male and female workers. dexter was just 10 months when we got clover. For us it was the right decision but I know lots of ppl would think this was too soon. I had to put lots of time in giving them their individual walks and training so I hope you have lots of free time if you are considering a second in the near future  ;)

Dexter did go backwards with his behaviour and it took alot of patience to get them both on the right track. I feel guilty that they don't get as much one on one time with me as a single dog would but they get so much out of having the other one around.  :luv:

It is easier now they are coming out of adolescence but even now they really do benefit from one to one time with me so I make sure they get at least one walk a week separately.

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »
I have a 4 year old show bitch and have just bought a boy show puppy.
We had a difficult few days before Possum relented and started playing bulldog.
Three weeks on, they play constantly and are now sleeping next to each other.
The problem times are predictably meal times when both are a little growly and occasional jealousy over the best owner's knee tosit on.
Otherwise all going well and I really like having 2

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 08:34:56 AM »
i have 2 males and two females BUT the males are 11 and one year old and the females are 14 and 5 year olds, i would def not have two males of a similar age, just from my own experience years ago when i had a boxer and dobie and they were only 2 years apart, and we had trouble with them when they were left alone so they had to stay in seperate rooms, but thats just my experience
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline black taz

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 06:15:44 PM »
i think it depends on how well trained your 9 month old is.  Taz was 2 1/2 when i got Kira (i had recently lost my 13 yr old collie cross).  I dont think i would have considered another pup before Taz was 2.  It will need lots of separate training.  Even now i have to do separate training sessions and Taz is 4 - Kira 18 months.