Author Topic: "asking" to use the garden....  (Read 1519 times)

Offline vicky106

"asking" to use the garden....
« on: May 10, 2011, 05:27:14 PM »
Hi,

Pepper has been home with us 10 days now and it's going really well. She's sleeping 10.30-6.30 without too many problems and for the last 3 nights she's been dry - clever girl!.

During the day she's great at house training and mostly all poos and wees are outdoors with me putting her out every so often, but i was wondering how to go about training her to "ask" to go out?.

Other dogs i've had seemed to have learnt how to do this, is this something that just comes as they grow up?.

Offline choccietoby

Re: "asking" to use the garden....
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »
Not sure, but Toby who has been with us for 3 weeks now makes it obvious when he needs to go, he whines and wanders to the hallways, we just have to make sure we notice and he really gets upset if its a poo he needs  ;) 

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »
This was just something Freya picked up as she got older and started to associate going to the door with the relief of being let out. She now sits by the door when she wants to go out. I would just keep letting her out at regular intervals and i'm sure she will get there soon  :blink:

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
Just carry on as you are doing, making sure the garden is visited very regularly. Dogs just seem to develop the "asking" skill for themselves although it can be a bit vague to interpret in the early days  ;) Morgan just used to sit and look at us, then we realised that actually he had that look in his eyes. Got caught out a few times!  
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline vicky106

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:04:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice..... i will persevere!

Ive realised a couple of things with this housetraining malarky, the first thing is that black cockers are very hard to spot at night  :005: ...... and the second thing is that more neighbours than i realised can see me in the garden in my nightie!! ph34r

Offline Sally and Mark

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
i have a set of keys that sit in the door with a few key rings attached,
when Finn wants to go out he jumps up and jangles the keys so if we are anywhere in our flat
we hear him. Clever boy!  :005:

Offline Dimples

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »
We find if the door is not already open which it has been lately with this lovely weather that Robbie sits by it and sometimes gives a small bark. Last night he scratched at the door.

When he was younger and i knew he wanted a poo he would act very scatty and bark so that was quick get him out the door. :D
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »

more neighbours than i realised can see me in the garden in my nightie!! ph34r

Ooops!  :rofl1:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline CorinneF

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
Poppy sits by the door of the conservatory and looks at us or she just lies down by the door and waits. Since she is always with us, following us like a shadow  ph34r , we know that if she is not with us she must be by the door waiting for one of us to open it!  :005:
Corinne owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline Dimples

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
Poppy sits by the door of the conservatory and looks at us or she just lies down by the door and waits. Since she is always with us, following us like a shadow  ph34r , we know that if she is not with us she must be by the door waiting for one of us to open it!  :005:

I was about to add that - yes if the shadow is not there then either he is up to no good or sitting by the door. :D
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old