Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 600 times)

Offline SallyAnne

Hi everyone!
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:22:22 AM »
Just wanted to introduce myself.  We are not yet Cocker owners, but hope to become so later on this summer.  Sadly, our 14 year old Chocolate Labrador Bruno died last year and we are currently a dogless household.  After some discussion, we have decided that a Cocker Spaniel would be a good choice for us.  We live on the Isle of Wight, surrounded by fields, truly a doggy heaven!  We have been looking at the forum with interest, so good to hear other owners talking about their experiences.  We have a dilemma though, do we choose a dog or a bitch?  We have always had dogs, but I am considering a bitch this time because I have the impression (correct me if I am wrong!) that a bitch might be easier to train and be less challenging than a dog.  We certainly had a few problems with our lab when he was a pup, he was a handful to say the least!

Anyway, be grateful for any advice and look forward to introducing our puppy to you all!!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »
Welcome to COL   :D

I think the opposite TBH about cocker bitches and dogs  cockers - I think that bitches are a bit more calculating and "what's in it for me" whereas the boys are more "A to B" - but it also is down to lines, especially in working cockers.

I love boy cockers and will definitely get another one  :luv: :luv:

It's a personal thing though - for as many boy fans you'll get girl fans (and some of the reasons boil down to leg cocking and boy appendages  :lol2: )
helen & jarvis x

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:55:50 AM »
Welcome from Rufus MacD

Offline SallyAnne

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:27:01 PM »
Welcome to COL   :D

I think the opposite TBH about cocker bitches and dogs  cockers - I think that bitches are a bit more calculating and "what's in it for me" whereas the boys are more "A to B" - but it also is down to lines, especially in working cockers.

I love boy cockers and will definitely get another one  :luv: :luv:

It's a personal thing though - for as many boy fans you'll get girl fans (and some of the reasons boil down to leg cocking and boy appendages  :lol2: )

Thanks.  We are getting a show cocker, I gather working types are happiest being on the go all day - not for us!

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »
Hi, welcome to COL  :D

No advice as to whether to choose boy or girl, I've always had girls.

Thanks.  We are getting a show cocker, I gather working types are happiest being on the go all day - not for us!
[/quote]

You've not met my Ebony  :005: Generally true, but the show types aren't always couch potatoes.

Good luck in your decision.

Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »
Hi and welcome. 

Agree with Helen about boys vs girls.  My boy, Oliver, is much more eager to please and very cuddly, while Emily can be more 'calculating' (read stubborn!) when she chooses.  She is also more moody than Oliver.  On the other hand, Ollie is loopy and demanding where Emily is very stable.  But it depends on individual dogs.  I'd only had girls before Ollie, but I have thoroughly enjoyed having a boy and will definitely get another.

Good luck with your search.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie