Author Topic: wireless router thingy!  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
wireless router thingy!
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
My current internet setup is out of the ark and involves me running an extension cable (broadband filter?) from the study to the bedroom as there is no phone socket in the study.  This was okish until Harry arrived, he has chewed the cable a couple of times, and we have had to replace it, he is so quick take your eyes off for a minute and..... >:D

Mostly though he sits by my feet and if Ben barks downstairs Harry leaps up, gets his big feet tangled in the wire and pulls it out of the socket which is frustrating and the wire is looking very stretched  :005:

So I thought I would look at wireless.  But after doing a search it all looks so complicated to figure out what I need.  My ISP is Talk Talk so it looks like I need an ADSL router I think?? But its the set up that looks horrendously complicated and I don't want to spend money on something I can't use.   It  will need to be set up in another room and I wasn't sure if that is possible?
I have looked into the possibility of having a phone socket in the study, but that would cost over £200 to put in.

Any thoughts on an idiot proof router thing that I would be able to install and would do what I need
thank you  :D

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
Re: wireless router thingy!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:44:48 PM »
I think if you rung Talk Talk they would send you one  ;) and it is so easy to set up Not hard at all
I had my BT one for free just plugged it in and put a wireless key number in the laptop and it worked  :005:
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:58:37 PM »
I'd check it is free first.  :-\  When we went wireless, the phone company wanted about £200 for the router that we could get for £60 in a shop.  >:D  Can't remember who that was with but they were taken over by Talk Talk.   

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:44:27 PM »
obvious question but is you pc wireless enabled, if its fairly new then it should be but if its older its doubtful, if it is then contact your broadband provider who will usually send you one for free (if you upgrade) or at a reasonable price. They will also tell you all you need to know about setting it up which is really straight forward.
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline kirstyb

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »
You could also try Homeplugs. These allow you to network between the Router and the PC in a remote room using your house internal electrical wiring. You plug one device beside the router and connect it using a standard network cable, and the same in the study - Homeplug into a standard power socket and then a network cable from there to your PC. No wireless keys or signal to worry about.

eBuyer have a deal on an 85Mb twin pack which is more than enough for surfing the web, for just £24.99 plus delivery.http://www.ebuyer.com/product/262263

Sam and Pepper's Mummy

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:47:55 PM »
Thanks for that!!!! We already use one of these to send signal to sons xbox for xbox live, I have been stuck without being able to move our old pc upstairs as the telephone sockets are on the blink, this is the perfect solution, why didn't I think of it ph34r
Sorry to hijack ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 08:01:42 PM »
You could also try Homeplugs. These allow you to network between the Router and the PC in a remote room using your house internal electrical wiring. You plug one device beside the router and connect it using a standard network cable, and the same in the study - Homeplug into a standard power socket and then a network cable from there to your PC. No wireless keys or signal to worry about.

Thank you - never heard of these, might be just what I am looking for  :luv: